Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Difference In Wireless Cards?

Difference In Wireless Cards?

MS

Running WinXP Pro, SP1.

In using my older notebook computer, that doesn't have built-in wireless, I
use a D-Link DWL-650 (M) PC card wireless adapter. It is more than a year
old (I don't recall exactly when I got it), I think it has just the "b"
protocol, not "a" or "g".

I connect at different places-hotspots, etc., so the routers that it
connects to varies. Sometimes it connects fine, but other times I have
problems getting a good connection, or suddenly losing a connection, etc.

I am wondering if getting a different wireless card, a newer model, for
instance, either PC card again or USB, would make a difference in the
problems stated above. I know some of the newer models, especially with "g"
and "a", advertise faster speeds. I don't know that I am very interested in
higher speed. What would interest me is longer range, more reliability in
holding a signal, etc. Would certain brands and models of either PC card or
USB wireless cards be better in those regards than the one I have?

(Again, the routers it connects to varies, so there isn't the option of
buying the notebook card to be optimized with a particular router, such as
if one was only using it with a home network.)

Jack

Hi

The DWL-650 is 802.11b. It is Unlikely that a Wireless Hotspot would provide
Wireless Internet that is faster then 802.11b speed, So your card should be
adequate.

Since you do not have a frame of reference I.e. your own Wireless
connection, it is hard to determine whether some thing is wrong with your
Card, or that some of the Hot Spot are not providing good signals.

There are booster PCMCIA Cards (Hawking makes one) it might help, but might
be a waste of money too. It is your call.

http://www.provantage.com/buy-220964...less-hwc54d-hi
-laptop-card-shopping.htm

Jack (MVP-Networking).

" MS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running WinXP Pro, SP1.
>
> In using my older notebook computer, that doesn't have built-in wireless,

> use a D-Link DWL-650 (M) PC card wireless adapter. It is more than a year
> old (I don't recall exactly when I got it), I think it has just the "b"
> protocol, not "a" or "g".
>
> I connect at different places-hotspots, etc., so the routers that it
> connects to varies. Sometimes it connects fine, but other times I have
> problems getting a good connection, or suddenly losing a connection, etc.
>
> I am wondering if getting a different wireless card, a newer model, for
> instance, either PC card again or USB, would make a difference in the
> problems stated above. I know some of the newer models, especially with

"g"
> and "a", advertise faster speeds. I don't know that I am very interested

in
> higher speed. What would interest me is longer range, more reliability in
> holding a signal, etc. Would certain brands and models of either PC card

or
> USB wireless cards be better in those regards than the one I have?
>
> (Again, the routers it connects to varies, so there isn't the option of
> buying the notebook card to be optimized with a particular router, such as
> if one was only using it with a home network.)

Quaoar

MS wrote:
> Running WinXP Pro, SP1.
>
> In using my older notebook computer, that doesn't have built-in
> wireless, I use a D-Link DWL-650 (M) PC card wireless adapter. It is
> more than a year old (I don't recall exactly when I got it), I think
> it has just the "b" protocol, not "a" or "g".
>
> I connect at different places-hotspots, etc., so the routers that it
> connects to varies. Sometimes it connects fine, but other times I
> have problems getting a good connection, or suddenly losing a
> connection, etc.
>
> I am wondering if getting a different wireless card, a newer model,
> for instance, either PC card again or USB, would make a difference in
> the problems stated above. I know some of the newer models,
> especially with "g" and "a", advertise faster speeds. I don't know
> that I am very interested in higher speed. What would interest me is
> longer range, more reliability in holding a signal, etc. Would
> certain brands and models of either PC card or USB wireless cards be
> better in those regards than the one I have?
>
> (Again, the routers it connects to varies, so there isn't the option
> of buying the notebook card to be optimized with a particular router,
> such as if one was only using it with a home network.)

Notebooks, by their design, can shield the small antenna in the PC-card
from the signal source. You can try rotating the laptop slowly,
watching the signal quality, until you find the point at which the
notebook case and/or the LCD screen are not blocking the signal. The
mini-pci cards are particularly good since the antenna is in the screen
and the notebook itself is not blocking the signal.

MS

news:OQQg%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> The DWL-650 is 802.11b. It is Unlikely that a Wireless Hotspot would

provide
> Wireless Internet that is faster then 802.11b speed, So your card should

be
> adequate.

Yes, and speed is really not an issue for me anyhow. What I'm wondering is
if any of the newer cards (PC card and/or USB) have a longer range, better
at keeping signals, etc.? (Or, is the only advance that's been made been in
the area of speed?)