Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: HOW2 REMOVE GEOTAGS ?

Re: HOW2 REMOVE GEOTAGS ?

PeterN

On 9/13/2011 4:53 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-09-13 00:53:42 -0700, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:29:39 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Are you in anyway responsible for adding GPS, or geotag data to any of
>>> these images?
>>>

>> [Jerry}
>> Generally no. I don't even own a digital camera. But close
>> friends send me photos which I send to ohers and no telling
>> where they'll wind up. For instance an ex wife sends me
>> photos of her kids taken at her new house in Phoenix and I
>> send them to another old friend who knew us 30 years ago.
>>>

>>> If so, then I ask the following:
>>> First, what camera are you using and how are you imbedding GPS, or
>>> geotagging data.
>>>

>> [Jerry]
>> I'm not taking any photos, but I have friends who are not
>> even aware of the problem and I don't want to be responsible
>> for exposing them to risk by forwarding the photos to other
>> friends.

> No you are sounding irrationally paranoid. I believe your fears are
> unfounded.
>

>>> Secondly, what photo-editing software are you currently using?
>>>

>> [Jerry]
>> None... never edited any photos.. don't want to. Just want
>> to make the photos safe before I forward them to someone.

> In that case go ahead and forward them, I gather you feel as safe about
> those you would forward to, as the folks who forwarded them to you, felt
> about you.
>

>>> Then just how many of the folks you are planning to circulate these
>>> images to, are pedophiles stalkers, etc.?
>>>

>> [Jerry]
>> Get real.... the average neighborhood today has half a
>> dozen registered sex offenders... you have no idea where a
>> photo is going to wind up once you email it to someone...
>> much less post it on facebook or something.

> I am about the most "real" individual you are going to find in this
> newsgroup in this regard, given that I am retired Law enforcement. Where
> exactly are you getting your figure of "half a dozen registered sex
> offenders" in the average neighborhood?
>
> There are some areas where you will find clusters of these individuals,
> but for the most part registered sex offenders are not prowling the
> streets of America in a search for victims, using e-mailed imaged which
> might or might not be geotagged.
>
> ...and if you are concerned that somebody you are forwarding these
> images to might be a registered sex offender, just check.
> < http://www.nsopw.gov/Core/Portal.asp...ookieSupport=1 >
>

>>> ...or do you not trust your friends & family, or the source of the
>>> images?
>>>

>> [Jerry]
>> Get real.... this problem has been all over the news
>> lately with pedofiles, burglars, stalkers and home invaders
>> scanning photos on Facebook and elsewhere and locating the
>> houses on Google Earth and then attacking random people. For
> [...]

My gut feeling is agreeing with you. But, you are more subtle than I.

--
Peter

deaconous deaconous is offline
Junior Member

just download a free app called pixelgarde. It basically removes personal data, like geotags, automatically when your share photos. It's also integrated directly with all of the popular social networks, so it's pretty basic. http://www.pixelgarde.com/