Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D7000 anyone?

Nikon D7000 anyone?

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> On 2011-09-13 11:59:11 -0700, Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

>> Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem getting the images off the
>> cards. It's just that it's easier if I can plug in the camera and have
>> the computer treat it as a drive (as I could with the D70).

> I think you need to take another look at your D7000 manual and give it
> another try.
>
> Check page #779 that details using "Nikon Transfer 2". Even if you
> don't use the Nikon software the SD card should still show up on your
> desktop as a drive.
> Also if you are a Lightroom user once connected LR can be set to
> import straight from the camera.

I won't take the risk of letting that kind of software perform the
transfer. I've been transferring other ways the past years with zero
problems, while hearing frequent reports of people who got badly screwed
over by some magic transfer program. No thanks; not interested.

And, again, camera direct connect is for me an emergency procedure, so
having it depend on other software is not useful.

RichA

On Sep 12, 11:08*pm, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. *Here's why:http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...easons_to_buy_...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ed

Produces terrific images when it produces terrific images but IMO,
it's still no where near as good as the D300/D300s when it comes to
function.

Bruce

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
>>>I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
>>>storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

>> Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

>I've got half a dozen. I'm still highly annoyed when cameras and phones
>and such won't connect as storage devices. It's an emergency procedure,
>and having it not work is a pain.

I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
are faster and more convenient.

PeterN

On 9/14/2011 5:39 AM, Bruce wrote:

<SNIP>

> I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
> as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
> means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
> I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
> are faster and more convenient.

An experienced professional such as yourself should have realized that a
tethered camera gives you a much larger view of the image, so that
instant, on the spot corrections can be made.

--
Peter

David Dyer-Bennet

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

>>I've got half a dozen. I'm still highly annoyed when cameras and phones
>>and such won't connect as storage devices. It's an emergency procedure,
>>and having it not work is a pain.

> I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
> as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
> means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
> I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
> are faster and more convenient.

I haven't connected a camera to a computer in several years either,
except for testing. See the phrase "emergency procedure" up there? I
don't like it as a normal procedure, but it can cover my ass if I lose
or break my card reader on the road. Or somebody else does and I can
loan them mine and use direct connect myself (or they can; but if their
camera can't connect as storage...).

IsThisScottie

Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
>> http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...easons_to_buy_
>> the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
>>
>> Thoughts?

> I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
> I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
> storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.
>
> I suppose that you could also consider the extensive menu system a
> downside - it's got a ton of settings, although the out-of-the-box
> settings will get you going quickly. It's big and solid. If you like a
> lighter/smaller camera, it may be too big for you. The battery lasts
> forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now, over 500 pictures, and
> it's still on its first charge.

Do you turn it off when not in use or has it been left on the entire time?

Joe Makowiec

On 17 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, IsThisScottie wrote:

> Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The battery lasts forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now,
>> over 500 pictures, and it's still on its first charge.

> Do you turn it off when not in use or has it been left on the entire
> time?

I turn it off, although AIUI, it shouldn't make all that much difference.
There's some minimal current draw when the camera is 'off' - see the top
panel display of remaining pictures - and there's not much draw when it's
on until you push the shutter button or activate some other function.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/