Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 3Way Flash Test

Re: 3Way Flash Test

Joe Makowiec

On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> Did a quick 3way flash test today.
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images...sFlashTest.jpg
>
> Used the 580 as the master, the 430 as the slaved key light (off to
> the side a few feet), and my old 540ez as an optically triggered,
> manual backlight.
>
> Just wondering how it turned out. Any comments appreciated.

The lighting on the subject looks good. His right side (the left in
the picture) is maybe a half-stop to a stop underexposed; in this case,
that's OK as it emphasizes his face. Agree with what Kennedy said
about shadows - the background flash throws some weird-looking ones.

The subject's head is right in the middle of the background staircase.
Because of DOF and lighting, there's separation, but it would help if
the background were darker to make the subject stand out.

Because of the guitar, this might be better with a horizontal rather
than a vertical composition. Or if you're looking for a vertical shot,
have him hold the guitar upright and tighten in a bit.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Joe Makowiec

On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> I had wanted to spend a bit more time on composition, trying for
> more of a studio look, but my son wanted to go for the unposed,
> "just caught playing my guitar snapshot" look.

Do it in front of a green screen and drop it into a concert picture!

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

otter

On Sep 12, 12:15*pm, Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>
> > I had wanted to spend a bit more time on composition, trying for
> > more of a studio look, but my son wanted to go for the unposed,
> > "just caught playing my guitar snapshot" look.

> Do it in front of a green screen and drop it into a concert picture!

Like this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...3950/lightbox/

otter

On Sep 13, 1:32*pm, "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sep 12, 12:15 pm, Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> > > I had wanted to spend a bit more time on composition, trying for
> > > more of a studio look, but my son wanted to go for the unposed,
> > > "just caught playing my guitar snapshot" look.

> > Do it in front of a green screen and drop it into a concert picture!

> Like this?http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkes...3950/lightbox/
>
> Forwarded the link to my wife, and she thinks it looks good. *Too bad he
> isn't standing like the rest ...

Actually, the guy on the right, playing keyboard is sitting, too. It
came out better than I expected, even though I didn't spend a lot of
time cleaning up the selection. The group is called Spoon.