Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheapskate losers go to the cloud

Cheapskate losers go to the cloud

RichA

Just one more example of what lack of physical ownership gets you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455

Robert Coe

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 00:36:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Just one more example of what lack of physical ownership gets you.
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455

Thanks for the warning, Rich. But I think you'd find that there are few, if
any, contributors to these newsgroups who don't already know the risks
inherent in cloud computing (and, if necessary, how to combat them). I guess
we all remember the case a few years ago when a cloud photo storage service
went broke overnight, and their creditors didn't give its customers enough
time to get their pictures off the servers before they wiped and sold them.

The references to DNS in the article are interesting, because the reported
events coincide pretty well with Microsoft's distribution of an emergency
update to its list of trusted issuers of encryption certificates. The system
had been hacked, and a company (in the Netherlands, I believe) had been
issuing bogus certificates that would allow malevolent fellows with deceptive
intent to mis-identify the network locations of various companies' servers.
The fact that some services failed when Microsoft issued the fix (if that's
actually what happened) suggests that those services may have been victimized
by the bogus certificates, or even that the fix itself was too broad.

What are you doing reading a BBC site, Rich? I thought you hated the Brits.
Don't they have a policeman hiding behind every rock, waiting to reel you in
for some imaginary offense? I'm pretty sure that's what you told us a while
back. ;^)

Bob

PeterN

On 9/10/2011 7:49 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 00:36:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Just one more example of what lack of physical ownership gets you.
> :
> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455
>
> Thanks for the warning, Rich. But I think you'd find that there are few, if
> any, contributors to these newsgroups who don't already know the risks
> inherent in cloud computing (and, if necessary, how to combat them). I guess
> we all remember the case a few years ago when a cloud photo storage service
> went broke overnight, and their creditors didn't give its customers enough
> time to get their pictures off the servers before they wiped and sold them.
>
> The references to DNS in the article are interesting, because the reported
> events coincide pretty well with Microsoft's distribution of an emergency
> update to its list of trusted issuers of encryption certificates. The system
> had been hacked, and a company (in the Netherlands, I believe) had been
> issuing bogus certificates that would allow malevolent fellows with deceptive
> intent to mis-identify the network locations of various companies' servers.
> The fact that some services failed when Microsoft issued the fix (if that's
> actually what happened) suggests that those services may have been victimized
> by the bogus certificates, or even that the fix itself was too broad.
>
> What are you doing reading a BBC site, Rich? I thought you hated the Brits.
> Don't they have a policeman hiding behind every rock, waiting to reel you in
> for some imaginary offense? I'm pretty sure that's what you told us a while
> back. ;^)

The more important question:
Why is Rich worried about protecting his images?

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 23:59:26 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: news:(E-Mail Removed):
:
: >:
: >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455
: >
: > Thanks for the warning, Rich. But I think you'd find that there are
: > few, if any, contributors to these newsgroups who don't already know
: > the risks inherent in cloud computing (and, if necessary, how to
: > combat them).
:
: "Combat them." Only a moron puts themselves into a situation that requires
: "combat" when they can easily avoid it.

I could just as easily have said "avoid them" or "mitigate them" or however
you'd prefer to have it expressed. The point is that given the known risks,
cloud computing is OK for some purposes (display or backup, for example), but
unsafe for others (archival storage, active workflow). And everyone has to
make his own risk assessment and decide what risk he's willing to tolerate. As
it happens, I'm not a great fan of cloud computing. But if you think that
every cloud user is a cheapskate loser, maybe you're the moron.

Bob

Is Locksmithing a dead trade for losers? dirtbag Computer Support 13 08-06-2006 01:54 PM
Is Linux For Losers? doris.gets_her_oats@yahoo.com Computer Support 46 05-03-2006 10:06 PM
Losers john Computer Support 11 12-15-2005 05:16 AM
Re: MJ is a victim of blood-sucking losers Mr Floppy Computer Support 12 04-01-2005 05:40 AM
OT: Superbowl Losers kpg MCSE 4 02-09-2005 06:27 PM

Advertisments