Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Shared WebCam: Middleman?

Reply
Thread Tools

Shared WebCam: Middleman?

 
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2011
I'm putting in a webcam (Panasonic BB-HCM735) at a local
windsurfing shop.

The idea is that people can check sailing conditions without
calling the shop owner.

Right now, the cam is directly accessible over the internet and
it works.... sort of....

But all the cameras I've looked at have a limit on concurrent
users. Also, I'm guessing that Verizon will have something to
say if/when traffic to a residential customer gets over a certain
limit.

With that in mind, I'm thinking there could be a middleman
between the users and that camera: an application/PC that is
logged into the camera remotely and receiving the camera's
picture - but which then re-packages the picture and makes it
available to whoever logs into that PC/application. The PC
would be in another location where bandwidth is not an issue.

Services like "StreamBy" seem to do this, but the windsurfing
shop runs on a slim margin and their fees would be too high.

There have got to be many such applications available for private
use, but I don't know where to start looking.

Does anybody know the term-of-art for such an application - so I
have something to Google against?
--
PeteCresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2011
On Sep 8, 12:10*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm putting in a webcam (Panasonic BB-HCM735) at a local
> windsurfing shop.
>
> The idea is that people can check sailing conditions without
> calling the shop owner.
>
> Right now, the cam is directly accessible over the internet and
> it works.... sort of....
>
> But all the cameras I've looked at have a limit on concurrent
> users. * Also, I'm guessing that Verizon will have something to
> say if/when traffic to a residential customer gets over a certain
> limit.
>
> With that in mind, I'm thinking there could be a middleman
> between the users and that camera: an application/PC that is
> logged into the camera remotely and receiving the camera's
> picture - but which then re-packages the picture and makes it
> available to whoever logs into that PC/application. * The PC
> would be in another location where bandwidth is not an issue.
>
> Services like "StreamBy" seem to do this, but the windsurfing
> shop runs on a slim margin and their fees would be too high.
>
> There have got to be many such applications available for private
> use, but I don't know where to start looking.
>
> Does anybody know the term-of-art for such an application - so I
> have something to Google against?


"Proxy" and "cache" are the concepts you need. I haven't
done this exact setup, but I think one of the caching modules
for Apache on some server in a well-connected location could
reduce the web camera hits to a maximum of one every 5 minutes
or some such (whatever you choose to configure).

And you could also probably do it with the Squid proxy
program.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2011
Per David Dyer-Bennet:
>"Proxy" and "cache" are the concepts you need. I haven't
>done this exact setup, but I think one of the caching modules
>for Apache on some server in a well-connected location could
>reduce the web camera hits to a maximum of one every 5 minutes
>or some such (whatever you choose to configure).
>
>And you could also probably do it with the Squid proxy
>program.


Just to be sure: we're talking full-motion video, not
snapshots... right?
--
PeteCresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2011
On Sep 9, 9:13*am, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Per David Dyer-Bennet:
>
> >"Proxy" and "cache" are the concepts you need. *I haven't
> >done this exact setup, but I think one of the caching modules
> >for Apache on some server in a well-connected location could
> >reduce the web camera hits to a maximum of one every 5 minutes
> >or some such (whatever you choose to configure).

>
> >And you could also probably do it with the Squid proxy
> >program.

>
> Just to be sure: we're talking full-motion video, not
> snapshots... right?


Ah; if he's talking streaming, I'm not sure
my suggestions are relevant. "Webcams" in
my experience present a series of still images.
 
Reply With Quote
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2011
Per www.Queensbridge.us:
>If wind speed is what you want,
>why not just go yo Yahoo weather and see wind speed.
>I go to
>http://weather.yahoo.com/united-stat...-york-2459115/
>when I want to fly kites.


I subscribe to a service for that - plus forecasts.

What the shop owner wants is an easily-available online steam so
customers can check the video instead of calling him.

Also, he thinks that it will bring more people down there... thus
increasing business.
--
PeteCresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2011
Per (PeteCresswell):
>Does anybody know the term-of-art for such an application - so I
>have something to Google against?


The magic word is "Streaming".

Thanks David Dyer-Bennet.

FWIW, I'm fooling around with an application called "WebCamXP"
that seems to have promise.

It runs on my 24-7 box, reads the camera, and makes the camera's
stream available to the world as in:
http://petecress.dyndns.org:8080/

Now I've got to move the camera to the remote site/Dynamic
Address and see if WebCamXP can still connect to it.

Stay tuned.
--
PeteCresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Global Shared functions, shared variables Imran Aziz ASP .Net 1 08-22-2005 06:43 PM
Shared functions vs Non-Shared Functions tshad ASP .Net 11 05-27-2005 05:53 PM
Shared, why not a 'Local Shared' (re: Session and ViewState dislike) ben ASP .Net 3 11-15-2004 03:04 PM
Shared Public Variables and Shared Methods Joe Fallon ASP .Net 3 07-16-2004 07:11 AM
Cannot refer to an instance member of a class from within a shared method or shared member initializer without an explicit instance of the class. DJ Dev ASP .Net 3 02-08-2004 04:19 PM



Advertisments