Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Fast Counter

Fast Counter

valtih1978

> Actually it has everything to do with 'it', but you do not seem to be
understanding 'it'.

Thanks. Next time, I will know that redundancy adds very much because
"it also has to do with it".

> Not true at all...see previous paragraph...and you should probably

research the definition of computer as well.

I know the right definition! Computers are the people who do
computations! FPGAs fall into absolutely different category!

> Not true either. A discrete logic gate implementation or a discrete

transistor implementation would be much slower than an FPGA

Good job. To be more honest, you had to compare the latest integral
nanoscale desktop processor against large mechanical relay logic from
30-ties. The first computers used that technology. This way, you would
have proven much stronger thesis: our flexible SW completely outdoes any
HW implementation!

Following this line of reasoning, we can recall that first uProcessors
were running at 1 mhz. Today FPGAs can emulate them 100 times faster.
Now, people must stop thinking that FPGAs are slower than ASIC
implementation. I just cannot understand why today 4 GHz processor can
run at 400 mhz maximum when implemented in FPGA?

>As does an ASIC design...unless you really think that ASIC designers

design everything down to the transistor level. Gates are an
abstraction.

Transistors are an abstraction. –°opper and electrons are an abstraction.
Everything is and abstraction. We like abstractions because they help
use to understand. Me, Xilinx and Synopsys use gate netilst abstraction
to understand the implementation.

> You can choose to use the words 'implementation' and 'emulation' how

you want. However, since those words already have accepted
definitions that are different than what you have chosen don't
expect to get much acceptance of your usage.

How picture of user gates emulated by FPGA can not correspond to this
definition?

> This is the last I have to say on this thread.

Thank you for the warning. It would be very nice. We can be prepared.

valtih1978

The very name, FPGA means "gate array", says that FPGA provides the
programmable gates. They are virtual abstractions, like you like to say,
implemented by hard silicon gates at the bottom level. Don't be scared
to distribute this view.

Andy

On Sep 18, 5:37*am, valtih1978 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just cannot understand why today 4 GHz processor can
> run at 400 mhz maximum when implemented in FPGA?

That 4 GHz processor won't run at 4 GHz if it is implemented in ASIC
gates either.

Does that mean that ASICs only emulate circuits too? (rhetorical!)

Andy

valtih1978

How 4 GHz ASIC, that is capable running at 4 GHz, cannot run at 4 GHz?
Sounds like a controversy.

Andy

On Sep 19, 4:57*am, valtih1978 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How 4 GHz ASIC, that is capable running at 4 GHz, cannot run at 4 GHz?
> Sounds like a controversy.

No, just function-specific limitations on clock rate. Depends on what
you are trying to do on the chip. Just because a technology is rated
for a given maximum clock rate, does not mean you can calculate pi to
the millionth decimal place in one clock cycle on it.

Andy

John Kent

Get a CPU with 800MHZ FSB and put NOPs on the bus