Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > SimpleDateFormat

SimpleDateFormat

markspace

On 9/5/2011 3:57 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Lew<(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>> Or use Arne's suggestion, which has the virtue of being compact and
>> employing the standard API without having to post-process the
>> output of 'format()'.

> but arne does not exist in my universe. I had with him long ago and
> plonked him.

Then maybe you should un-plonk him, because he write good code and has
valuable insights.

Lew

Roedy Green wrote:
> Lew wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> Or use Arne's suggestion, which has the virtue of being compact and employing the standard API without having to post-process the output of 'format()'.

> but arne [sic] does not exist in my universe. I had [it] with him long ago and
> plonked him.

That neither invalidates his suggestion nor excuses your ignorance of the API.

I, too, was ignorant of the SimpleDateFormat API, at least of the methods Arne mentioned, but I am in the habit of reading the Javadocs. The lesson for me, for the OP, and for you, too, is to check the Javadocs, in this casesince the question related to 'SimpleDateFormat', the Javadocs for 'SimpleDateFormat'.

The trouble with your answer is that it was suboptimal in the context of the much, much better answer that Arne had provided. This was a disservice to the OP. I recommend that you swallow your ego and unplonk Arne. After all, you are the one who's all about providing good information to those wishing to learn Java, aren't you?

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:38:23 -0400, Eric Sosman
someone who said :

> Bad move. But that's just my opinion.

I try to balance. I don't plonk Lew, even though I find him grating.
He is just too full of useful information to give up.

Arne is intelligent, but I felt the much smaller number of gems he put
out were not worth the more vicious thorn jabs.

Perhaps I should unplonk him for a while to see if he has mellowed or
my hide has toughened.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Eric Sosman

On 9/14/2011 9:27 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:38:23 -0400, Eric Sosman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> Bad move. But that's just my opinion.

> I try to balance. I don't plonk Lew, even though I find him grating.
> He is just too full of useful information to give up.
>
> Arne is intelligent, but I felt the much smaller number of gems he put
> out were not worth the more vicious thorn jabs.
>
> Perhaps I should unplonk him for a while to see if he has mellowed or
> my hide has toughened.

Be sure to announce your decision to Usenet at large. Burning
the ballots to produce white smoke is traditional.

--
Eric Sosman

RedGrittyBrick

On 15/09/2011 02:38, Eric Sosman wrote:
> On 9/14/2011 9:27 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
>> On 05 Sep 2011 19:38 Eric Sosman wrote:
>>
>>> Bad move. But that's just my opinion.

>> Perhaps I should unplonk him for a while to see if he has mellowed or
>> my hide has toughened.

> Be sure to announce your decision to Usenet at large. Burning
> the ballots to produce white smoke is traditional.

From excommunicant to infallibility in a single step?

--
RGB

Help with Date and SimpleDateFormat Kyote Java 16 10-24-2003 11:20 AM
Problems Parsing Date string with SimpleDateFormat Bill Angel Java 4 09-28-2003 01:36 PM
SimpleDateFormat Eric Java 4 09-25-2003 03:16 AM
SimpleDateFormat Slow, Looking to Build or Find Faster One Niko Java 10 09-18-2003 04:19 AM
SimpleDateFormat with Node.getNodeValue Manuel Java 0 08-27-2003 11:17 PM

Advertisments