Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows not allowing me to connect to Wi-Fi network

Windows not allowing me to connect to Wi-Fi network

John

I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro sp3. I am trying to connect to
a WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK) Wireless Network but the box I need to enter
the key in on the laptop will not allow a key that is 64 characters in
length which is the length of this network key. Do you know why and
what the problem/issue is?

I've had trouble trying to use WiFi connection on this Toshiba Laptop
ever since I got it almost two years ago. It has never worked
properly. I did briefly established an ad-hoc wireless connection
which worked well for five or six months but I always had to have the
desktop switched on to use it and that connection eventually stopped
working. Now I am trying to estalish connection to the ADSL2 WiFi
router. My Android phone connects as does another iPhone in the home
but I have had no joy so far connecting the latop either using the
Microsoft software or Toshibas software.

Any ideas apart from never buying a Trashiba again?

Cheers,
John

Paul

John wrote:
> I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro sp3. I am trying to connect to
> a WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK) Wireless Network but the box I need to enter
> the key in on the laptop will not allow a key that is 64 characters in
> length which is the length of this network key. Do you know why and
> what the problem/issue is?
>
> I've had trouble trying to use WiFi connection on this Toshiba Laptop
> ever since I got it almost two years ago. It has never worked
> properly. I did briefly established an ad-hoc wireless connection
> which worked well for five or six months but I always had to have the
> desktop switched on to use it and that connection eventually stopped
> working. Now I am trying to estalish connection to the ADSL2 WiFi
> router. My Android phone connects as does another iPhone in the home
> but I have had no joy so far connecting the latop either using the
> Microsoft software or Toshibas software.
>
> Any ideas apart from never buying a Trashiba again?
>
> Cheers,
> John

That's what I probably would have tried - Wireless Zero Config from Microsoft,
versus the Toshiba software.

As I understand it, there would be a basic driver, like some flavor of NDIS,
for low level access to the hardware. So you'd probably need to install that
much of it in any case. In the Linux world, they even "steal" such drivers
(i.e. ndiswrapper) to get the same kind of hardware access.

What model of Toshiba is it ?

Laptop companies generally don't make the wireless chips, and it's possible
you could find another company hosting drivers or software for the
miniPCI card or whatever form the wireless takes.

You could try Belarc Advisor, and see if you can get a name for the Wifi
hardware.

There is the old free version of Everest, but it requires too much manual
interpretation to figure out hardware. You need pci.ids and usb.ids info,
to convert the VEN/DEV or VID/PID numbers reported by Everest, into device
names. (That's necessary, because the database inside Free Everest, is now six
years old.)

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

There are probably other solutions out there, to ID the hardware.
Running a Linux LiveCD, and using "lspci" and "lsusb" is another option
for hardware identification.

Paul