Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Farewell to an old friend

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Farewell to an old friend

 
 
David Ruether
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2011


"Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
> story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
> friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
> been out of my life for years.
>
> Allen


Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
for years [long after others converted to what I considered at
the time to be the "candy-color" of Fuji 50 film]). Eventually,
I "saw the light", and for a short time converted to Fuji 50
(and I also used K200 for certain things - but "natural-looking"
it wasn't, but it could be nice for a very limited range of
uses). Then Fuji Velvia appeared. YIKES! Forget "natural-
rendition" - exaggerated COLOR was in!!! (And I fell for it,
too.) Meanwhile, the Kodak and Fuji E6 100-speed films became
very nice (and almost identical), and Fuji produced a very
usable "400"-speed slide film (if one de-rated the speed a
tad). For my later commercial work, though, the then-good
color negative films were what I mostly used (but I still have
some long-outdated K200 and Fuji 50 and 100 in the freezer plus
a few mailers - maybe I will keep some for old time's sake....
--DR

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2011
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:31:08 +0000, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
:
: "Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed):
:
: > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
: > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
: > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
: > been out of my life for years.
: >
: > Allen
:
: Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
: my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
: version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
: for years ...

Actually, there was an excellent K25 between K10 and K64. Less contrasty and
no grainer than K10. It may have been the best Kodachrome of all.

How quaint those ISO (excuse me, ASA) numbers sound now!

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Ruether
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2011


"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:31:08 +0000, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : "Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed):


> : > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
> : > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
> : > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
> : > been out of my life for years.
> : >
> : > Allen


> : Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
> : my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
> : version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
> : for years ...


> Actually, there was an excellent K25 between K10 and K64. Less contrasty and
> no grainer than K10. It may have been the best Kodachrome of all.
>
> How quaint those ISO (excuse me, ASA) numbers sound now!
>
> Bob


I guess you missed my post of 9/3, --
"YIKES!!! How could I have forgotten THAT one?!?! You are right,
K-II/25 was the best of all of them. (I may have forgotten about
it since during that time my finances were too "pinched" to shoot
much of it, and once past the original [poor] K64, I was into the
better version, and then onto the E6 Ektachrome and Fuji films...)."
But, yes, after good 100-speed films arrived, it was hard to look
back, except for Velvia...8^)
--DR


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2011
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:08:38 +0000, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
:
: "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed):
: > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:31:08 +0000, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)>
: > wrote:
: > : "Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > : news:(E-Mail Removed):
:
: > : > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
: > : > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
: > : > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
: > : > been out of my life for years.
: > : >
: > : > Allen
:
: > : Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
: > : my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
: > : version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
: > : for years ...
:
: > Actually, there was an excellent K25 between K10 and K64. Less contrasty and
: > no grainer than K10. It may have been the best Kodachrome of all.
: >
: > How quaint those ISO (excuse me, ASA) numbers sound now!
: >
: > Bob
:
: I guess you missed my post of 9/3, --
: "YIKES!!! How could I have forgotten THAT one?!?! You are right,
: K-II/25 was the best of all of them. (I may have forgotten about
: it since during that time my finances were too "pinched" to shoot
: much of it, and once past the original [poor] K64, I was into the
: better version, and then onto the E6 Ektachrome and Fuji films...)."
: But, yes, after good 100-speed films arrived, it was hard to look
: back, except for Velvia...8^)
: --DR

Yeah, I've got to break the habit of replying before I've read the whole
thread. I'd been off in the boondocks (i.e., away from ny Usenet feed) for a
week and hadn't gotten caught up.

The trip was worth it though. In addition to seeing our daughter and her
family, my wife and I got the pictures we needed to complete our Shoot-In
submissions for this month. :^)

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Farewell nz.comp! Nova NZ Computing 37 08-29-2006 11:04 PM
Farewell CUJ Eric B C++ 26 01-05-2006 10:18 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE EAGLES: FAREWELL 1 TOUR: LIVE FROM MELBOURNE and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 2 08-21-2005 08:08 PM
Phil Collins - Finally - The First Farewell Tour Lord Vader III DVD Video 1 02-10-2005 04:44 PM
FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE - Director's Cut anamorphic? Dan_Musicant DVD Video 8 04-08-2004 09:29 PM



Advertisments