Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon mirrorless launch expected September 21, 2011

Nikon mirrorless launch expected September 21, 2011

Bruce

There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).

The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
has an a multiplier of 2.0.

Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
pancake and a superzoom.

MG

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
> Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
> than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
>
> The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
> multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
> has an a multiplier of 2.0.
>
> Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
> doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
> The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
> pancake and a superzoom.

A compact interchangeable lens system. Makes sense to me.

Better than a Nikon P500. With much better ISO capabiltiy

MG

Tim Conway

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
> Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
> than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
>
> The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
> multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
> has an a multiplier of 2.0.
>
> Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
> doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
> The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
> pancake and a superzoom.

Nice to have a smaller camera, but for critical uses, I'm afraid it will be
a case of "I wish I would've brought the D3, D300, or D700 along instead".

PeterN

On 9/2/2011 11:07 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-09-02 04:59:08 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
>> Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
>> than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
>>
>> The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
>> multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
>> has an a multiplier of 2.0.
>>
>> Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
>> doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
>> The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
>> pancake and a superzoom.
>>

> I guess you meant 35mm film rather than "full frame/25mm"?

I wonder if this announcement is as accurate as his last.

--
Peter

David Dyer-Bennet

On Sep 2, 8:29*am, "Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nice to have a smaller camera, but for critical uses, I'm afraid it will be
> a case of *"I wish I would've brought the D3, D300, or D700 along instead".

Since 2005, I have owned a P&S that I carry at times
when I'm not carrying my SLR. Sure, sometimes
I might think "Wish I had my D700!". But more often
I think "Glad I've got something better than my
cell phone!"

Life is all compromises, and bringing the full
photo kit everywhere has NEVER been my
habit. I carry it quite a lot compared to a lot
of amateurs, but nowhere near full-time.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
>> Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
>> than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
>>
>> The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
>> multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
>> has an a multiplier of 2.0.

>From a sensor perspective, it's:
>1. Sony NEX and Fuji
>2. m4/3rds and Samsung

In your opinion, perhaps. But in the marketplace, a Samsung CSC with
a 20 MP APS-C sensor ranks somewhere between a 16 MP Sony NEX-5N and a
24 MP Sony NEX-7.

>3. Nikon
>4. Pentax

The Pentax Q system is a joke. Coupled with the Ricoh takeover, this
system suggests that Pentax has entered terminal decline.

>> Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
>> doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
>> The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
>> pancake and a superzoom.
>>

>Cynical and stupid of them. If the world goes for these, they'll only
>suffer. They've made mistakes before that cost them the number 1 spot.
>Lets hope they don't do it again.

You cannot deny that a CSC with a 2.7X sensor is unlikely to do too
much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs. That
would appear to the basis of Nikon's decision. Time alone will tell
whether the Nikon CSCs will be a commercial success in their own
right.

I wouldn't consider buying one, and I imagine you wouldn't either, but
we are not in Nikon's target market which is people upgrading from a
point and shoot digicam with a tiny, noisy sensor.

All we need now is for Sigma to offer lenses for the new Nikon format.

Bruce

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Cynical and stupid of them. If the world goes for these, they'll only
>>> suffer. They've made mistakes before that cost them the number 1 spot.
>>> Lets hope they don't do it again.

>> You cannot deny that a CSC with a 2.7X sensor is unlikely to do too
>> much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.

>If it was a success, there would be no need to protect DSLR sales.

That's a good point.

>I'd guess they actually think a CSC is not worth designing for 4/3 or larger
>but it's easy enough to come up with an interchangeable lens "P&S"
>small-sensor model at a price that makes sense for that market.

I think Nikon would probably have made an APS-C CSC if that market
wasn't already well served by Sony and Samsung. The problem is, what
could Nikon offer that was genuinely new and different and would not
damage the profitable sales of Nikon's APS-C DSLRs?

Full frame wouldn't be an option for Nikon because of high cost, so
the only way to go was smaller. A 2.7X multiplier is only slightly
smaller than Micro Four Thirds, and Nikon's sensors are likely to be
significantly better than Panasonic's, so class-leading image quality
is a distinct possibility, all without damaging the profitability of
Nikon's APS-C DSLRs. It's a gamble, but probably one worth taking.

Meanwhile, Pentax went smaller still. Much smaller. The Q System
sensor is ridiculously small and cannot ever hope to compete on image
quality with any existing CSCs, nor with Nikon's. So Nikon has a
niche all its own, but still with the probability of matching, and
possibly beating Panasonic and Olympus for IQ.

The two remaining questions are, where will Canon and Leica position
their CSCs? Information leaked from Canon suggests a sensor around
the size of Four Thirds, or slightly smaller, with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
Leica's own statements show their intention is to fit a sensor to
their CSC that is APS-C size or larger. Full frame hasn't been ruled
out. One of its key markets is people who own Leica R System lenses
for which Leica doesn't currently offer a digital solution. This
won't be a mass market product.