Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: WTF Mozilla?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: WTF Mozilla?

 
 
FrozenNorth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2011
On 9/01/11 12:23 PM, Robert James wrote:
> Uncle Robbieboi's story time hour:
>
> Thanks to a high speed WLAN connection as well as a power outlet in my
> general area I decided to update my *nixtop for the first time in a few
> months... Now it was only a few months ago when I got on the new Mozilla
> hotness, Firefox 5 --- a new version of an old Netscape workhorse.
> Version 5, while in beta for several months finally released a stable
> copy in late June ... It was all new --- in late June. Late June of this
> year mind you. I want you to remember after over a decade of open
> Netscape clones --- after ALL that time version * 5 * of Firefox came
> out... In late June, 2011 A.D.
>
> Well the update went fine and I casually checked my version number,
> 6.0.1... 'O... Wait... WTF Mozilla? Damn it, why is a very minor update
> of an already recently released browser now a version higher???
>
> Of course I run to Wikipedia, just to make sure I'm reading my version
> number right. HOLY SWEET JESUS MOTHER OF GOD! Seems that version 6 that
> is one month old is now old and busted... 7.0 Beta 2 is out to testers.
>
> So let me get this right, cus this is completely NEW to me... Last I
> checked version 5 after a long development was brought to the public to
> much fan fair. Before many people even bothered to CHECK for a MINOR
> updated they have version 6 hoisted on 'em to their surprise --- and a
> few DAYS after your working on version 7 --- which is bull cause version
> 8 is already in development BEFORE a stable release of 7 is out.
>
> Wait, GOD DAMN IT --- forget version 8, looks like version 9 is going to
> be in stable this December! Somebody knock Mozilla over the head before
> by 2012 we need to install Mozilla Firefox v. 234.01!
>
> WTF is this Mozilla???
>
> No, really... WTF Mozilla???
>

They have gone to rolling releases, on an approximately 6 week schedule,
similar to what Google Chrome does. I would hate to be an extension
developer, but apparently it allows new features to be released faster,
honestly though I can't see much difference between 4 and 6, ignoring 5
totally. Oh, there is also talk of them hiding the version number
entirely, and just keep rolling up the number quietly without you seeing.

--
Froz...


The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rui Maciel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2011
FrozenNorth wrote:

> Oh, there is also talk of them hiding the version number
> entirely, and just keep rolling up the number quietly without you seeing.


What good does that do to anyone?


Rui Maciel
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Azz Man!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2011
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:54:00 +0000 (UTC), Robert James wrote:

>
>> On 9/01/11 12:23 PM, Robert James wrote:
>>> Uncle Robbieboi's story time hour:
>>>
>>> So let me get this right, cus this is completely NEW to me... Last I
>>> checked version 5 after a long development was brought to the public to
>>> much fan fair. Before many people even bothered to CHECK for a MINOR
>>> updated they have version 6 hoisted on 'em to their surprise --- and a
>>> few DAYS after your working on version 7 --- which is bull cause
>>> version 8 is already in development BEFORE a stable release of 7 is
>>> out.
>>>
>>> Wait, GOD DAMN IT --- forget version 8, looks like version 9 is going
>>> to be in stable this December! Somebody knock Mozilla over the head
>>> before by 2012 we need to install Mozilla Firefox v. 234.01!
>>>
>>> WTF is this Mozilla???
>>>
>>> No, really... WTF Mozilla???
>>>

>> They have gone to rolling releases, on an approximately 6 week schedule,
>> similar to what Google Chrome does. I would hate to be an extension
>> developer, but apparently it allows new features to be released faster,
>> honestly though I can't see much difference between 4 and 6, ignoring 5
>> totally. Oh, there is also talk of them hiding the version number
>> entirely, and just keep rolling up the number quietly without you
>> seeing.

>
> Honestly it is pathetic when I see developers releasing rolling updates
> for the sole purpose that their adversaries are a number higher. Now
> understandably this occurs in retail software where a customer may decide
> to buy a competing product simply because it is v11 compared to the other
> program at v9. It's one of the major reasons since the mid-90's many
> software manufactures decided to use years to denounce version numbers. I
> mean I found it kind of funny that Slackware Linux bumped directly from
> version 4 to version 7 in a matter of a month or two


I never understood the big deal about it either. Firefox and Slackware are
both excellent products. It doesn't matter what number it is, as long as
it's higher than the last one

--

Azz
Blog: www.xcopfly.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2011
Robert James <klan_member_bob kkk.com> wrote:

> Honestly it is pathetic when I see developers releasing rolling
> updates for the sole purpose that their adversaries are a number
> higher.


Honestly it's pathetic when some Joe Blow throws a tantrum about
useful software he had no role in developing and didn't even pay
for. What a jerk.

But seriously, who gives a **** what they do with the version
numbers.
--

















> Now
> understandably this occurs in retail software where a customer may decide
> to buy a competing product simply because it is v11 compared to the other
> program at v9. It's one of the major reasons since the mid-90's many
> software manufactures decided to use years to denounce version numbers. I
> mean I found it kind of funny that Slackware Linux bumped directly from
> version 4 to version 7 in a matter of a month or two because they felt
> they deserved it over Redhat and Mandrake --- but hay, Subgeniuses do
> these things.
>
> --
> Reverted Julliette "Elle" Hart's control of Kamloops 2600.
> RL'ed Matthew Moulton (noted BabyFag) permanently off Usenet.
> Revealed Lamey (noted BabySidekick) to be the **** of Mike Hunt.
> Ruined Bob Hoffman and his FamilyNet International echo-bot too.
>
>


> Path: news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com! news-out.readnews.com!transit3.readnews.com!postnews.go ogle.com!news4.google.com!feeder.news-service.com!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
> From: Robert James <klan_member_bob kkk.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.2600,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.fan.mozilla,netsc ape.public.mozilla.browser
> Subject: Re: WTF Mozilla?
> Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:54:00 +0000 (UTC)
> Organization: A noisy hasty Scorpion
> Lines: 67
> Message-ID: <j3odb3$njm$2 dont-email.me>
> References: <j3obi8$a21$1 dont-email.me> <j3ocko$qvo$1 dont-email.me>
> Reply-To: Homeless Joe's Bottle Collecting Service, inc.
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> Injection-Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:54:00 +0000 (UTC)
> Injection-Info: mx04.eternal-september.org; posting-host="B9nVS8WyOO8rA3wPCgdNIQ"; logging-data="24182"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19FUlwomd66KHvyoNd+dwhh2JXRHeGyb DomyaZpMWd0qQ=="
> User-Agent: XenuFoilR6 (OT v3.0/Incident II) TeegeeackOS/1967
> X-No-Archive: yes
> X-Report-Abuse-Info: The Abuse Victim Hotline offers preliminary support to victims of abuse via our toll-free hotline and confidential email service.
> X-Report-Abuse-To: help avhotline.org
> X-Antivirus-Status: Your Microsuck Winblows system now has HIV/AIDS.
> X-Echelon-Keywords: INFOSEC, Terrorism, Warfare, Infrastructure, Military, White House, Intelligence, gchq.gov.uk, Pipe Bomb, World Trade Center, Assassination, Awareness, Nationalist, Revolution, President, Anarchy, Al Amn al-Askari, SEMTEX, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Ekber, Prophet, Langley, Virginia, Passport, US, Fairfax County, Fort Meade, Maryland, Renegade, Renaissance, Rosebud, 88, Radiance, Celtic, Capri, Fake ID, Caesium-137, NSA, Cobalt-60, Castor Bean, Strontium-90, Iridium-192, Plutonium-238, Radium-226, Nitric Acid, HNO3, Uncle Fester, David Harber, Steve Preisler, Death, Lethal Dose, LD50, Barack Hussein Obama, WikiLeaks, AES-256, Poison, Methylene Chloride, Stuck Pig, Fourteen Words, Ricin, Ottawa.
> X-Antivirus: Ten-year-old ultra thin pleasure condom.
> X-Face: "n?S/i_Xp2G|avx!\VqpY*e<R554}^f90v--w'19t`K8S]B;['t^ed[^AdOo8]t\jXIR+32_"Q6?32gqZQ,MK2Nok+]:H1C;No.:"(=^yc"qUNYoX>k%BUmT|*I]:*?h2<ipU`~f=OCsoBPJQc9>F|~Z1dfxj~9ow{Nce6)9`kCPv n'C?w\[n{Vk1cUj;mTUwNqrp3<4V!-]kWIp*RO(6<"6Vt%i$b`"k
> Cancel-Lock: sha1:5YC0chMsNzmY6Fth5o7y2FF7Z3U=
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rui Maciel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2011
John Doe wrote:

> Honestly it's pathetic when some Joe Blow throws a tantrum about
> useful software he had no role in developing and didn't even pay
> for. What a jerk.


You may interpret it as a "tantrum" and even believe that no one has the
right to an opinion regarding something which he didn't paid for nor
developed. Yet, what you must understand is that these stunts are
inconvenient, and they do inconvenience people. And nowadays, with all the
competition that the browser market has, including products which are also
free and that the user also haven't contributed to, then this sort of stunts
can very well mean that the users, motivated by these inconveniences, simply
decide to abandon Firefox in favour of a better alternative.

As some statistics already point out chrome as the second most used browser,
following IE, then those involved in Firefox either pay attention to the
inconveniences they are creating or soon they will be as relevant as
konqueror. Meanwhile, attempts to feel superior to others by whining about
any form of criticism accomplishes absolutely nothing.


> But seriously, who gives a **** what they do with the version
> numbers.


Those who have to manage installations of that software, along with people
who invest their time developing extensions for it.


Rui Maciel
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rui Maciel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2011
The Azz Man! wrote:

> I never understood the big deal about it either. Firefox and Slackware are
> both excellent products. It doesn't matter what number it is, as long as
> it's higher than the last one


Not necessarily. This sort of release scheme abandons (at least explicitly)
the concept of a stable release whose updates don't affect compatibility and
only incorporate bug fixes. Instead, you only get a sequence of releases
which may silently break compatibility and introduce new bugs, or even
include major component rewrites, with all the consequences that brings to
security and user/admin convenience.


Rui Maciel
 
Reply With Quote
 
The Azz Man!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2011
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:28:04 +0000 (UTC), Robert James wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:47:08 -0400, I imposed a declaration in opposition
> to The Azz Man!'s motion to modify THE PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION in support
> of the CROSS MOTION TO VACATE THE PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION. So noted by the
> Federal Court of Usenet Justice proceeding preliminary declaration,
> j3pjjv$f3e$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I never understood the big deal about it either. Firefox and Slackware
>> are both excellent products. It doesn't matter what number it is, as
>> long as it's higher than the last one

>
> Ditto, just my point, You said in one paragraph exactly what I could only
> rant about.


Hmm, usually people tell me the opposite.

--

Azz
Blog: www.xcopfly.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant add file associations in Firefox 1.0 for winXP!?!??! wtf??? Idolator#556 Firefox 2 02-05-2005 11:37 PM
New to Aironet products, wtf can cause this? steeda Cisco 0 01-28-2005 07:04 AM
WTF?? Leroy Forrester Firefox 18 09-24-2004 06:59 AM
irda/rc5...wtf? =?Utf-8?B?YWxwaGFMb2JzdGVy?= Wireless Networking 0 08-01-2004 10:55 PM



Advertisments