Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Generate Excel reports in ASP.NET

Generate Excel reports in ASP.NET

Rana

I developed a reporting website using ASP.NET and Microsoft Office XP.
The reports are generated using Microsoft Excel. It works perfectly as
designed in the development environment.
I deployed it on production server, which has Microsoft Office 2003
installed. The site works perfectly, except that the excel reports do
not come up. No error message is displayed.
Is it an issue with Microsoft frontpage extension or could it be a
Microsoft Office version issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ian Oldbury

check out
Subject RE: export datagrid data to Excel file within the
Dated 3rd April
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.dtagridco ntrol

"Rana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I developed a reporting website using ASP.NET and Microsoft Office XP.
> The reports are generated using Microsoft Excel. It works perfectly as
> designed in the development environment.
> I deployed it on production server, which has Microsoft Office 2003
> installed. The site works perfectly, except that the excel reports do
> not come up. No error message is displayed.
> Is it an issue with Microsoft frontpage extension or could it be a
> Microsoft Office version issue.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks

Swati Rana

Thanks Ian!!

I have used microsoft office web components to automate Excel. I have a
predefined excel template, which I populate using an XML file.

In the development environment I included refrences to Microsoft Office
XP. On the production server, Microsoft Office 2003 is installed. Could
the different version, be the cause for the report not being displayed
on the production box?

Should I uninstall Microsoft Office 2003 and install Microsoft Office XP
on the production server to bring up the report? Or is there some other
resolution? Could you please direct me to some sample code which use
microsoft office excel component.

Thanks!!

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Microsoft office 2003 is not related to the Office web components. The OWC
is a stand-alone component. office 2003 installs a readonly license for
owc10 and owc11 on the server. It does not install the owc components. Your
client needs to install the target version of the OWC. In addition, you will
need to run the setup program for owc10 on the server since it is
stand-alone, it doesn't get installed by default. It works on your machine
because you have installed the owc. Does this make sense? see my website for
more details
http://tinyurl.com/27cok

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
"Swati Rana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uwCLR4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Ian!!
>
> I have used microsoft office web components to automate Excel. I have a
> predefined excel template, which I populate using an XML file.
>
> In the development environment I included refrences to Microsoft Office
> XP. On the production server, Microsoft Office 2003 is installed. Could
> the different version, be the cause for the report not being displayed
> on the production box?
>
> Should I uninstall Microsoft Office 2003 and install Microsoft Office XP
> on the production server to bring up the report? Or is there some other
> resolution? Could you please direct me to some sample code which use
> microsoft office excel component.
>
> Thanks!!

connerwalsh connerwalsh is offline
Junior Member

You would think having products produced by the same company, they should be fully integratable. That is the problem with some of these software monsters. I have found various small time developers that produce products with ease of use as a primary focus. No bothering with integration workarounds or any of that crap.

-Conner
Excel Reports