Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Interact with SQL Database using Python 2.4 or lower

Interact with SQL Database using Python 2.4 or lower

Sascha

Hello

I have an website on an Australian webhost. I have designed my website
to allow people to login & their login details are stored in an
SQLite3 database. I interact with the SQLite3 database using pythons
SQLite3 module(found only in python2.5 & up)

My Problem: the webhost runs Python 2.4 so I cannot communicate
with(query or modify) my SQLite3 database. The webhost will not allow
me to install my own version of python or upload modules unless I
upgrade to VPS.

What do you think are my options to still be able to work/interface
with my SQL database? Do you know of way to interact with a SQL
database using python modules from Python 2.4 or earlier?

Do you know of a python 2.4 module that will let me interact with an
SQL database(can be MySQL, SQLite, etc.)?

Stephen Hansen

On 8/28/11 9:49 PM, Sascha wrote:
> My Problem: the webhost runs Python 2.4 so I cannot communicate
> with(query or modify) my SQLite3 database. The webhost will not allow
> me to install my own version of python or upload modules unless I
> upgrade to VPS.

Get a new webhost. Seriously. This is a seriously absurd requirement --
it goes past absurd into malicious incompetence, frankly. Not being able
to upload your own modules?

There has to be another option. Personally, I'm a major fan of
Webfaction -- from price to plans to what's supported to actual
effectiveness of their tech support.

But I don't know if they have a warehouse in Australia, if their latency
with any of their various data centers is suitable for you. Maybe, maybe
not -- but there /has/ to be a better option then this site... Good
hosts these days are not all that uncommon and are fairly competitive.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

Chris Angelico

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Stephen Hansen
<me+list/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Get a new webhost. ...
>
> But I don't know if they have a warehouse in Australia, if their latency
> with any of their various data centers is suitable for you. Maybe, maybe
> not -- but there /has/ to be a better option then this site... Good
> hosts these days are not all that uncommon and are fairly competitive.

Having burnt my fingers with a couple of web hosts, and finally
decided to host my own web site, I have one major piece of advice
regarding this:

Get a personal recommendation.

Don't sign up with any hosting service unless you have advice from
someone you trust who has used that service and been happy with it.
I'm sure good hosts aren't uncommon, but nor are bad hosts, and it's
easy to get caught up with a lot of hassles and outages.

BTW, don't take the fact that I host my own site as a negative
recommendation for every hosting company out there. My requirements
are somewhat unusual - I want to host a MUD, not just a web site.
Hosts that let you do THAT much are usually quite expensive

ChrisA

Stephen Hansen

On 8/28/11 10:23 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Stephen Hansen
> <me+list/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Get a new webhost. ...
>>
>> But I don't know if they have a warehouse in Australia, if their latency
>> with any of their various data centers is suitable for you. Maybe, maybe
>> not -- but there /has/ to be a better option then this site... Good
>> hosts these days are not all that uncommon and are fairly competitive.

> Having burnt my fingers with a couple of web hosts, and finally
> decided to host my own web site, I have one major piece of advice
> regarding this:
>
> Get a personal recommendation.

This is good advice, though with prices as they are in many cases --
provided you don't need to start out immediately solid and have some
development wiggle-room -- its not a bad thing to experiment.

Just don't get too tied to a certain host until you feel them out.
Sending them emails with detailed questions before you sign up is a good
thing, for example.

Good hosts will respond with detailed, specific answers, from real
people. Bad hosts will point you to a vague website or stock reply.

Real people, reading your real questions, and answering with real
answers is a major, major sign of the kind of company I want to do
business with. (Bonus points if they respond to complex, technical and
legal questions with specific answers within 24 hours -- bonus++ points
if the non-legal questions usually get responses in 1, at absurd times
even).

> BTW, don't take the fact that I host my own site as a negative
> recommendation for every hosting company out there. My requirements
> are somewhat unusual - I want to host a MUD, not just a web site.
> Hosts that let you do THAT much are usually quite expensive

Hehe, I don't want to get overly advertising in my comments (so I'm so
not including a referrer link anywhere), but amusingly enough, my first
Webfaction account was signed up for the MUD reason.

They officially don't give a rats ass what you run in the background,
provided you're just not using more then your RAM allotment and that its
not spiking the CPU to a point that affects the rest of the system.

I have one account that runs a mud, one that does often semi-significant
background processing regularly via cron jobs (which they mailed me
about once when it got out of hand-- but they were entirely professional
and nice about it, and I fixed it with some controls so it behaved in a
more friendly way towards the rest of the system), and one for my
personal site where I run an IRC bouncer on, and all is cool.

(Why three accounts? One is paid for by a client, one half by me, one by
me -- it was just easier, and no way it all would fit under a single plan)

Anyways. I shall not further ramble as a satisfied-customer.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

python@bdurham.com

> Personally, I'm a major fan of Webfaction -- from price to plans to what's supported to actual effectiveness of their tech support.

+1

Malcolm