Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Default View for explorer windows

Default View for explorer windows

James D Andrews

This is an irritant rather than a crisis.

Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to
open all folders in icons View.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

Jeff Strickland

In XP and earlier versions -- I don't know the steps in Vista or Win7, but
they should be similar -- start Explorer, select a folder, set the view
settings you want, click TOOL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW select and deselect the
features you want, then click APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS.

Personally, I have my Explorer set to show Details for all folders except
Control Panel, where I have Small Icons as the view setting. I am a switch
hitter on photos, sometimes I view them as thumbnails and sometimes I view
the file details.

I do not hide extensions for known file types because there can be files
with the same name but different extensions, and having the extension
displayed is sometimes important information. It is never bad to see an
extension, and it can be very bad to not see it.

"James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j3811b$b60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
>
> Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to
> open all folders in icons View.
>
> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim
>

> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
> troublesome."
> - Isaac Asimov

Jeff Strickland

"James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j3811b$b60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
>
> Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to
> open all folders in icons View.

I forgot to mention, if you Right Click the Windows Explorer icon, and
choose Properties, and enter a space and /e (so it looks like this --
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e) in the Target box, then Explorer will start
with Drive C as the focus with the directory structure collapsed. You do not
always want to go to the same place, so I find it beneficial for me to start
from Drive C. I do not have to navigate out to Drive C just to drill down to
some other folder.

James D Andrews

Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with
was:
> In XP and earlier versions -- I don't know the steps in Vista or Win7, but
> they should be similar -- start Explorer, select a folder, set the view
> settings you want, click TOOL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW select and deselect the
> features you want, then click APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS.
>
> Personally, I have my Explorer set to show Details for all folders except
> Control Panel, where I have Small Icons as the view setting. I am a switch
> hitter on photos, sometimes I view them as thumbnails and sometimes I view
> the file details.
>
> I do not hide extensions for known file types because there can be files with
> the same name but different extensions, and having the extension displayed is
> sometimes important information. It is never bad to see an extension, and it
> can be very bad to not see it.
>

> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:j3811b$b60$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
>>
>> Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to open
>> all folders in icons View.
>>
>> -- -There are some who call me...
>> Jim
>>

>> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
>> troublesome."
>> - Isaac Asimov

That did the trick, Jeff. I've just been hitting Apply instead of
Apply to All Folders, so it wasn't working how I needed.

Thanks much. One less fingernail across the chalkboard.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
-Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

James D Andrews

Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
> "James D Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:j3811b$b60$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
>>
>> Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to open
>> all folders in icons View.
>>

> I forgot to mention, if you Right Click the Windows Explorer icon, and choose
> Properties, and enter a space and /e (so it looks like this --
> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e) in the Target box, then Explorer will start
> with Drive C as the focus with the directory structure collapsed. You do not
> always want to go to the same place, so I find it beneficial for me to start
> from Drive C. I do not have to navigate out to Drive C just to drill down to
> some other folder.

Thanks again, Jeff, although I don't think I need to carry it to that
level. You're advice on Apply to All Folders gave me exactly what I
was wanting. I pop open My Computer and run with it from there, if I
need.

I really appreciate your help Jeff.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because
you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra