Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows Explorer - Recycle Bin conflict

Windows Explorer - Recycle Bin conflict

James D Andrews

Can't find anything on it and I've searched for weeks, so here goes.

OS is Windows XP SP3 with NET Frameworks 1-4,full updates, Firewall up,
antivirus protection in place (Avast/Malwarebytes/SuperAnti-Spyware).
Multiple system scans show it clean.

Comp is BIOSTAR N61PB M2S mobo/AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7 GHz
CPU/Phoenix 6.0 BIOS/4Gb RAM/WD 500Gb SATA 2.0 HDD/floppy
drive/USB&Card Reader/DVD with Light Scribe

Recycle Bin is causing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash &
partially reopen when attempting to Shut Down the computer.
"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down"

When Explorer shuts down, it blinks the screen, then reloads, but some
of the items in the taskbar at the bottom are missing (yet appear to
still be running according to Task Manager).

This happens whenever the Recycle Bin has been emptied using any of the
following methods:

Open the Recycle Bin explorer window (double-click desktop, select
Empty Recycle Bin)
Use alternate software CCleaner, Free Windows Sweeper

However, it does not happen if the Recycle Bin is emptied from the
Desktop by right-click the icon, select Empty Recycle Bin. Pretty odd.

Now, getting by the obvious, "well don't do it that way" answer, I'm
looking for an actual fix.

The nearest suggestion I can find as a solution is to turn off DEP for
explorer.exe

I don't know if that's a good idea, or if there's a better solution.
Any ideas?

Thanks much guys.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Paul

James D Andrews wrote:
> Can't find anything on it and I've searched for weeks, so here goes.
>
> OS is Windows XP SP3 with NET Frameworks 1-4,full updates, Firewall up,
> antivirus protection in place (Avast/Malwarebytes/SuperAnti-Spyware).
> Multiple system scans show it clean.
>
> Comp is BIOSTAR N61PB M2S mobo/AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7 GHz
> CPU/Phoenix 6.0 BIOS/4Gb RAM/WD 500Gb SATA 2.0 HDD/floppy drive/USB&Card
> Reader/DVD with Light Scribe
>

> Recycle Bin is causing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash &
> partially reopen when attempting to Shut Down the computer.
> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down"
>
> When Explorer shuts down, it blinks the screen, then reloads, but some
> of the items in the taskbar at the bottom are missing (yet appear to
> still be running according to Task Manager).
>
> This happens whenever the Recycle Bin has been emptied using any of the
> following methods:
>
> Open the Recycle Bin explorer window (double-click desktop, select Empty
> Recycle Bin)
> Use alternate software CCleaner, Free Windows Sweeper
>
> However, it does not happen if the Recycle Bin is emptied from the
> Desktop by right-click the icon, select Empty Recycle Bin. Pretty odd.
>
> Now, getting by the obvious, "well don't do it that way" answer, I'm
> looking for an actual fix.
>
> The nearest suggestion I can find as a solution is to turn off DEP for
> explorer.exe
>
> I don't know if that's a good idea, or if there's a better solution.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks much guys.

You should post your question over in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
as there are still some participants over there.

Paul

James D Andrews

Paul embroidered on the monitor :
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thanks, Paul
I'll give that a shot

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
swept off to.
-Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

Bville

On 8/26/2011 6:37 AM, James D Andrews wrote:
> Can't find anything on it and I've searched for weeks, so here goes.
>
> OS is Windows XP SP3 with NET Frameworks 1-4,full updates, Firewall up,
> antivirus protection in place (Avast/Malwarebytes/SuperAnti-Spyware).
> Multiple system scans show it clean.
>
> Comp is BIOSTAR N61PB M2S mobo/AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7 GHz
> CPU/Phoenix 6.0 BIOS/4Gb RAM/WD 500Gb SATA 2.0 HDD/floppy drive/USB&Card
> Reader/DVD with Light Scribe
>

> Recycle Bin is causing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash &
> partially reopen when attempting to Shut Down the computer.
> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down"
>
> When Explorer shuts down, it blinks the screen, then reloads, but some
> of the items in the taskbar at the bottom are missing (yet appear to
> still be running according to Task Manager).
>
> This happens whenever the Recycle Bin has been emptied using any of the
> following methods:
>
> Open the Recycle Bin explorer window (double-click desktop, select Empty
> Recycle Bin)
> Use alternate software CCleaner, Free Windows Sweeper
>
> However, it does not happen if the Recycle Bin is emptied from the
> Desktop by right-click the icon, select Empty Recycle Bin. Pretty odd.
>
> Now, getting by the obvious, "well don't do it that way" answer, I'm
> looking for an actual fix.
>
> The nearest suggestion I can find as a solution is to turn off DEP for
> explorer.exe
>
> I don't know if that's a good idea, or if there's a better solution.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks much guys.

Why not try an XP repair and see if that clears it up? Files can become
corrupted.

James D Andrews

Bville embroidered on the monitor :
> On 8/26/2011 6:37 AM, James D Andrews wrote:
>> Can't find anything on it and I've searched for weeks, so here goes.
>>
>> OS is Windows XP SP3 with NET Frameworks 1-4,full updates, Firewall up,
>> antivirus protection in place (Avast/Malwarebytes/SuperAnti-Spyware).
>> Multiple system scans show it clean.
>>
>> Comp is BIOSTAR N61PB M2S mobo/AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7 GHz
>> CPU/Phoenix 6.0 BIOS/4Gb RAM/WD 500Gb SATA 2.0 HDD/floppy drive/USB&Card
>> Reader/DVD with Light Scribe
>>

>> Recycle Bin is causing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash &
>> partially reopen when attempting to Shut Down the computer.
>> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down"
>>
>> When Explorer shuts down, it blinks the screen, then reloads, but some
>> of the items in the taskbar at the bottom are missing (yet appear to
>> still be running according to Task Manager).
>>
>> This happens whenever the Recycle Bin has been emptied using any of the
>> following methods:
>>
>> Open the Recycle Bin explorer window (double-click desktop, select Empty
>> Recycle Bin)
>> Use alternate software CCleaner, Free Windows Sweeper
>>
>> However, it does not happen if the Recycle Bin is emptied from the
>> Desktop by right-click the icon, select Empty Recycle Bin. Pretty odd.
>>
>> Now, getting by the obvious, "well don't do it that way" answer, I'm
>> looking for an actual fix.
>>
>> The nearest suggestion I can find as a solution is to turn off DEP for
>> explorer.exe
>>
>> I don't know if that's a good idea, or if there's a better solution.
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks much guys.
>>

> Why not try an XP repair and see if that clears it up? Files can become
> corrupted.

Yeah, that's a possibility, but an extreme one. I've got a problem
with Explorer.exe and the Recycle Bin. You're probably right that a
file is corrupt. Otherwise, the system is running very well.

It would take days to back up the 369 installed programs (and dozens
that run .exe with no install) as well as all the files and personal
settings before attempting an XP Repair.

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare hard disk to clone to.

Then it would take more days reinstalling the software.

So I'm hoping to find a fix that doesn't involve XP Repair.

Thanks for the input, though. I really appreciate it.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

Bville

On 8/27/2011 12:47 AM, James D Andrews wrote:
> Bville embroidered on the monitor :
>> On 8/26/2011 6:37 AM, James D Andrews wrote:
>>> Can't find anything on it and I've searched for weeks, so here goes.
>>>
>>> OS is Windows XP SP3 with NET Frameworks 1-4,full updates, Firewall up,
>>> antivirus protection in place (Avast/Malwarebytes/SuperAnti-Spyware).
>>> Multiple system scans show it clean.
>>>
>>> Comp is BIOSTAR N61PB M2S mobo/AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7 GHz
>>> CPU/Phoenix 6.0 BIOS/4Gb RAM/WD 500Gb SATA 2.0 HDD/floppy drive/USB&Card
>>> Reader/DVD with Light Scribe
>>>

>>> Recycle Bin is causing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash &
>>> partially reopen when attempting to Shut Down the computer.
>>> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down"
>>>
>>> When Explorer shuts down, it blinks the screen, then reloads, but some
>>> of the items in the taskbar at the bottom are missing (yet appear to
>>> still be running according to Task Manager).
>>>
>>> This happens whenever the Recycle Bin has been emptied using any of the
>>> following methods:
>>>
>>> Open the Recycle Bin explorer window (double-click desktop, select Empty
>>> Recycle Bin)
>>> Use alternate software CCleaner, Free Windows Sweeper
>>>
>>> However, it does not happen if the Recycle Bin is emptied from the
>>> Desktop by right-click the icon, select Empty Recycle Bin. Pretty odd.
>>>
>>> Now, getting by the obvious, "well don't do it that way" answer, I'm
>>> looking for an actual fix.
>>>
>>> The nearest suggestion I can find as a solution is to turn off DEP for
>>> explorer.exe
>>>
>>> I don't know if that's a good idea, or if there's a better solution.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks much guys.
>>>

>> Why not try an XP repair and see if that clears it up? Files can
>> become corrupted.

> Yeah, that's a possibility, but an extreme one. I've got a problem with
> Explorer.exe and the Recycle Bin. You're probably right that a file is
> corrupt. Otherwise, the system is running very well.
>
> It would take days to back up the 369 installed programs (and dozens
> that run .exe with no install) as well as all the files and personal
> settings before attempting an XP Repair.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have a spare hard disk to clone to.
>
> Then it would take more days reinstalling the software.
>
> So I'm hoping to find a fix that doesn't involve XP Repair.
>
> Thanks for the input, though. I really appreciate it.

A Repair doesn't wipe out your programs. Just back up My Documents.
That will be the only Folder affected. A CLEAN install will wipe out
everything.

James D Andrews

Bville embroidered on the monitor :
> On 8/27/2011 12:47 AM, James D Andrews wrote:
>> Bville embroidered on the monitor :

>>> Why not try an XP repair and see if that clears it up? Files can
>>> become corrupted.

>> Yeah, that's a possibility, but an extreme one. I've got a problem with
>> Explorer.exe and the Recycle Bin. You're probably right that a file is
>> corrupt. Otherwise, the system is running very well.
>>
>> It would take days to back up the 369 installed programs (and dozens
>> that run .exe with no install) as well as all the files and personal
>> settings before attempting an XP Repair.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I do not have a spare hard disk to clone to.
>>
>> Then it would take more days reinstalling the software.
>>
>> So I'm hoping to find a fix that doesn't involve XP Repair.
>>
>> Thanks for the input, though. I really appreciate it.
>>

> A Repair doesn't wipe out your programs. Just back up My Documents. That will
> be the only Folder affected. A CLEAN install will wipe out everything.

Thanks to Paul for recommending microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
newsgroup where I found the answer. For anyone else that faces this
problem later, it turns out there was another "cleaning" program
interfering with the Recycle Bin. I had installed a couple of these to
try them out but neglected to remove them afterward.

I uninstalled both RedButton and Cleanup Assistant, rebooted, and the
problem is gone, so one or both of these was the troublemaker.

You are correct about XP Repair, but it's always good practice to
backup system externally before attempting XP Repair in case something
goes horribly wrong, like making the wrong selection - yeah, I've done
that, I admit it (bows head in shame).

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
swept off to.
-Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

M-NITRO M-NITRO is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D Andrews View Post
[...]

Hi james,

Sorry For My English
Simple go to cmd and type rd /s c:recycler Than Enter
And Type y