Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java

ajit kumar

in java what does it means getConnection function

Jeff Higgins

On 08/24/2011 10:57 AM, ajit kumar wrote:
> in java what does it means getConnection function

You can look in the Java API Documentation index here:
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/index-files/index-7.html>

Lew

ajit kumar wrote:
> in java what does it means getConnection function

That depends on from what type the method comes. What type are you discussing?

In general terms, such a method returns a reference to some sort of "connection" object given some sort of information about what "connection" you want. There are various classes and interfaces in the standard API alone thatsport a 'getConnection()' method, or in some cases more than one such method:

<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/DriverManager.html#getConnection(java.lang.String) >
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...va.lang.String, java.util.Properties)>
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...va.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String)>
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/sql/DataSource.html#getConnection()>
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...va.lang.String, java.lang.String)>
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#getConnection()>

There may be others in third-party libraries.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhøj

On 8/24/2011 10:57 AM, ajit kumar wrote:
> in java what does it means getConnection function

The developer of the class decided to call a method
getConnection most likely because it gets a connection.

Arne

markspace

On 8/24/2011 8:28 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> You can look in the Java API Documentation index here:
> <http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/index-files/index-7.html>

Sweet link there, thanks for pointing that index out.

Lew

markspace wrote:
> Jeff Higgins wrote:
>> You can look in the Java API Documentation index here:
>> <http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/index-files/index-7.html>

> Sweet link there, thanks for pointing that index out.

Useful to the OP provided they're talking about the standard API - not so useful if they happen to be talking about some other library. Something the OP will have to clarify.

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:57:00 -0700 (PDT), ajit kumar

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew

Roedy Green wrote:
> ajit kumar wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>>in java [sic] what does it means getConnection function

> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html

The OP has not stated that the method is from a JDBC type, though that is a reasonable first guess. Even within JDBC there are many methods with that name, each with somewhat different semantics.

One hopes that the OP will respond and clarify their question.

--
Lew

Rajiv Gupta

On 2011-08-25 00:57:00 +1000, ajit kumar said:

> in java what does it means getConnection function

It means to obtain the Connection for the Java with the function
getConnection. This is very useful for the getting of connection for
use in the Java program which is developed by the programming team.

After you get the connection you need to store it in a safe place where
it cannot be lifted by the malware or virus, so often the programmer
puts the connection inside an array (which makes it difficult for the
malware to see it).

When you need to use the connection (for example to ask for the data of
the connection or the connection speeds (and to change connection
speeds) you must unhide it temporarily for to use it.

Java is not the best language for getConnection function. There are
problems with syntax dripping and difficulties with encryptor. I would
recommend to switch to a more performant language like Visual Basic.
The advantage of the Visual Basic is that it is supported by Microsoft.
The Java is not supported by Microsoft any more

Rajiv Gupta