Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

David Dyer-Bennet

On Aug 24, 12:14*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 10:57*am, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 24, 7:14*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> > > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nailis
> > > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> > It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
> > are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
> > this is going to hurt them.

> With all the problems with phase focusing, lubricants showing up on
> mirrors and lenses, mirror mechnisms failing, size, weight, cost,
> etc., it won't be long before "premiere" is no longer applicable.

I've been using SLRs since 1969, and have never experienced
the primary issues you list. I think they're very rare special
cases. (Size and weight and cost are entirely legit, which of
course is why P&S are so popular.)

The lubricant flinging thing is minor anyway; spots on
the mirror don't affect the image.

David Dyer-Bennet

On Aug 24, 12:59*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...a65preview.asp
>
> How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
> hierarchy they maintain?

It's Sony that's practicing a con-game here. They put the
24 MP sensor in the entry-level DSLR because most people
already in the DSLR world know they're better off with a
12MP sensor -- higher IQ is more important than higher
resolution in that range for a huge part of the customer
space, though they don't all realize that.

(Professionals / artists making 8-foot prints have higher
needs than most of us do!)

Mike

On 24/08/2011 4:04 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> I've been using SLRs since 1969, and have never experienced
> the primary issues you list. I think they're very rare special
> cases. (Size and weight and cost are entirely legit, which of
> course is why P&S are so popular.)
>
> The lubricant flinging thing is minor anyway; spots on
> the mirror don't affect the image.

It's the way modern shooters work, note I didn't say photographers.
These shooters use the machine gun approach to photography. They shoot
2,000~4,000 images at a wedding, and so on. They shoot a hundred-fold
more images than film users ever did. Then they Photoshop the crap out
of the RAW files and think it's great photography.

Maybe the mirror and shutters are breaking down ... from boredom!

Mike

Irwell

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:57:00 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> On Aug 24, 7:14*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
> are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
> this is going to hurt them.

Premiere means first showing, not the same as premier!

PeterN

On 8/24/2011 4:01 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2:43 pm, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> RichA He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
>>> of uselessness.

>>> BugBear

>> But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> It was Sony's and even if it came from Dpreview, all it is are
> specifications, it's not a review.

And you rely on it for an editorial comment.
Sheesh!

--
Peter

Irwell

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:53:38 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

> RichA wrote:
>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!
>>
>> dpreview:
>>
>> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp

> Crazy adapter.

Looks nice though.

RichA

On Aug 24, 9:46*pm, "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > RichA wrote:
> >> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> >> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> >> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> >> dpreview:

> >>http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp

> > Crazy adapter.

> Really. It tells us that the camera's native AF is glacially slow.

No, it tells you it can't use the DSLR lenses any other way.

RichA

On Aug 24, 4:07*pm, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 12:59*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...a65preview.asp

> > How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
> > hierarchy they maintain?

> It's Sony that's practicing a con-game here. *They put the
> 24 MP sensor in the entry-level DSLR because most people
> already in the DSLR world know they're better off with a
> 12MP sensor -- higher IQ is more important than higher
> resolution in that range for a huge part of the customer
> space, though they don't all realize that.
>
> (Professionals / artists making 8-foot prints have higher
> needs than most of us do!)

I would LOVE to see an ISO plot after 500 exposures at the hands of a
rank amateur who let the store salesperson set the camera on auto
ISO. I wonder how many shots would be above 800 ISO? Assuming there
was no speed cap in place.

Bruce

DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.

Nice price too! At $399, Sony won't be selling very many.

Bruce

Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 24/08/2011 4:04 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> I've been using SLRs since 1969, and have never experienced
>> the primary issues you list. I think they're very rare special
>> cases. (Size and weight and cost are entirely legit, which of
>> course is why P&S are so popular.)
>>
>> The lubricant flinging thing is minor anyway; spots on
>> the mirror don't affect the image.
> >

>It's the way modern shooters work, note I didn't say photographers.
>These shooters use the machine gun approach to photography. They shoot
>2,000~4,000 images at a wedding, and so on. They shoot a hundred-fold
>more images than film users ever did. Then they Photoshop the crap out
>of the RAW files and think it's great photography.

Nonsense. I know dozens of wedding photographers; none shoots
anything like 2000-4000 images at a wedding.

I once managed almost 1300 with an assistant, covering the whole day
from 7:30 AM to 1:30 AM the following morning, but it was usually more
like the 200-400 range. Perhaps your keyboard's zero key has a fault?

Re: Holy Internet Deals Batman!! Jtyc MCSE 3 03-10-2006 04:41 AM
70-297 HOLY CRAP rwilsonsr@foundation.uconn.edu MCSE 4 02-01-2005 03:53 PM
Holy crap Ken Briscoe MCSE 14 01-30-2004 07:20 PM
And for the holy grail... Sky ASP .Net 3 01-28-2004 12:22 PM
Holy JUMPING frameset Batman! Jerry ASP .Net 0 01-27-2004 07:16 PM

Advertisments