Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

NEX-7 specs. Holy s---!

RichA

The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

dpreview:

http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp

Sony NEX-7 specification highlights

All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
ISO 100-16000
Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
20ms)
'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
stereo mic
Tilting rear screen
Three-dial user interface
Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
Infra-red remote control receiver

Bruce

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
>> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). That nail is
>> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!
>>
>> dpreview:

>I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

By whom? It also depends what you mean by "completely discredited".

Sure, DPReview has its limitations, but it is not remotely as bad as
PopPhoto.

DanP

Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.

DanP

David J Taylor

"DanP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nice adaptor for older lenses with phase detection and mirror.
>
> DanP

By the time you have bought and fitted that, you might was well have got a
DSLR in the first place, with a responsive optical viewfinder.

David

David Dyer-Bennet

On Aug 24, 7:14*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
this is going to hurt them.

> dpreview:
>
> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp
>
> Sony NEX-7 specification highlights
>
> * * All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
> * * ISO 100-16000
> * * Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
> * * Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
> 20ms)
> * * 'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
> stereo mic
> * * Tilting rear screen
> * * Three-dial user interface
> * * Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
> * * Infra-red remote control receiver

If they cut the resolution in half and provided better-
quality pixels (less noisy) this might be very
useful for some kinds of work. The key spec would
be auto-focus speed and accuracy, though,
which you say nothing about.

RichA

On Aug 24, 10:50*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> *wrote:

> >> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

> > By whom?

> RichA He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
> of uselessness.
>
> * BugBear

It's a reprint of Sony's press release, not a review.

RichA

On Aug 24, 10:57*am, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:14*am, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> It doesn't address any of the reasons why DSLRs
> are the premiere camera form, so I don't see how
> this is going to hurt them.

With all the problems with phase focusing, lubricants showing up on
mirrors and lenses, mirror mechnisms failing, size, weight, cost,
etc., it won't be long before "premiere" is no longer applicable.

RichA

On Aug 24, 1:44*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 8:14 AM, RichA wrote:
>

> > The mother of all mirrorless cameras has arrived (despite the fact
> > most Sony lenses will not support it like it should be). *That nail is
> > being POUNDED into the DSLR coffin!!

> > dpreview:

> >http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...x7overview.asp

> > Sony NEX-7 specification highlights

> > * * *All-new 24MP APS-C CMOS sensor (shared with the SLT-A7 and A657)
> > * * *ISO 100-16000
> > * * *Built-in 2.4M dot OLED EVF with eye sensor
> > * * *Electronic first-curtain shutter (cuts response time from 100ms to
> > 20ms)
> > * * *'AVCHD Progressive' 1080p60 HD movie recording with built-in
> > stereo mic
> > * * *Tilting rear screen
> > * * *Three-dial user interface
> > * * *Built in flash and Alpha hotshoe
> > * * *Infra-red remote control receiver

> SLTA7? A657? *
>
> What I'm curious to see is if this has better IQ than the A77, since the
> SLR will lose some light due to the pellicle mirror. The NEX 7 might be
> a half-stop better in ISO performance. And I wonder if there's any
> optical degradation due to the mirror?
>
> Too bad the Zeiss lens is to expensive, though. And where are the third
> party lenses? Didn't Sony open the mount to third party makers?

Also notice they put the 24 megapixel sensor in an entry level DSLR?!!
http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110824...a65preview.asp

How WILL Nikon keep the con-game going when it comes to the pricing
hierarchy they maintain?

PeterN

On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> bugbear<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>>> I thought dpreview had been completely discredited?

>> By whom?

> RichA He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
> of uselessness.
>
> BugBear

But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel

--
Peter

RichA

On Aug 24, 2:43*pm, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 10:50 AM, bugbear wrote:
>

> > Bruce wrote:

> >> By whom?

> > RichA He keeps saying that it's biased to the point
> > of uselessness.

> > BugBear

> But he quotes and/or misquotes as if it was gospel
>
> --
> Peter

It was Sony's and even if it came from Dpreview, all it is are
specifications, it's not a review.

Re: Holy Internet Deals Batman!! Jtyc MCSE 3 03-10-2006 04:41 AM
70-297 HOLY CRAP rwilsonsr@foundation.uconn.edu MCSE 4 02-01-2005 03:53 PM
Holy crap Ken Briscoe MCSE 14 01-30-2004 07:20 PM
And for the holy grail... Sky ASP .Net 3 01-28-2004 12:22 PM
Holy JUMPING frameset Batman! Jerry ASP .Net 0 01-27-2004 07:16 PM

Advertisments