Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hammering the nails deeper into the flipping mirror coffin...

Hammering the nails deeper into the flipping mirror coffin...

RichA

Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
camera should make some waves.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...a77preview.asp

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
>camera should make some waves.
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...a77preview.asp

You might be thrilled with the viewfinder ... with 2.4M dots it has
better resolution than any other EVF on a mass produced camera.

You might also be thrilled with the NEX-7 which not only has the same
sensor as the A77 but also the same 2.4M dot EVF. It is a stunning
camera that, together with the other NEX models, will enable Sony to
dominate the CSC market for the next few years. The imminent Nikon
CSC is no threat to Sony's NEX range.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX which
will make the NEX-7 a very strong competitor for the excellent
Fujifilm X100. Of course Fujifilm has an interchangeable-lens version
of the X100 in advanced development, but it will have to be very
special indeed if it is to dethrone the NEX-7 as the king of the CSCs.

RichA

On Aug 24, 8:26*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
> >camera should make some waves.
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...a77preview.asp

> You might be thrilled with the viewfinder ... with 2.4M dots it has
> better resolution than any other EVF on a mass produced camera.
>
> You might also be thrilled with the NEX-7 which not only has the same
> sensor as the A77 but also the same 2.4M dot EVF. *It is a stunning
> camera that, together with the other NEX models, will enable Sony to
> dominate the CSC market for the next few years. *The imminent Nikon
> CSC is no threat to Sony's NEX range.

I was thinking that myself. It's only possible attribute might be
extreme portability, but Nikon has never been known for that. It's
hugely cropped sensor (thought not as chopped as with the horrific new
Pentax with it's s--- P&S sensor size) will not look good against the
Sony. I think it'll find a different market segment to occupy.
I'm more worried thought about what the Sony will do to m4/3rds? If
they come out with some decent lenses (Panasonic rumour is that they
will release a compact pancake zoom with electronic zooming!) they
must might really hurt the m4/3rds offerings.

> Personally, I'm thrilled with the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX which
> will make the NEX-7 a very strong competitor for the excellent
> Fujifilm X100. *Of course Fujifilm has an interchangeable-lens version
> of the X100 in advanced development, but it will have to be very
> special indeed if it is to dethrone the NEX-7 as the king of the CSCs.

I'm counting the days to this thing's release. It's finally a Sony I
really want. Just watch the prices on higher-end older primes on Ebay
once this thing launches. Supporting 24mp (on an APS sensor) as it
should be will mean one thing: Zeiss or Leica.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Aug 24, 8:26*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
>> >camera should make some waves.
>> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...a77preview.asp

>> You might be thrilled with the viewfinder ... with 2.4M dots it has
>> better resolution than any other EVF on a mass produced camera.
>>
>> You might also be thrilled with the NEX-7 which not only has the same
>> sensor as the A77 but also the same 2.4M dot EVF. *It is a stunning
>> camera that, together with the other NEX models, will enable Sony to
>> dominate the CSC market for the next few years. *The imminent Nikon
>> CSC is no threat to Sony's NEX range.

>I was thinking that myself. It's only possible attribute might be
>extreme portability, but Nikon has never been known for that. It's
>hugely cropped sensor (thought not as chopped as with the horrific new
>Pentax with it's s--- P&S sensor size) will not look good against the
>Sony. I think it'll find a different market segment to occupy.

I think Nikon wants to create a mirrorless range that doesn't damage
sales of its low-end DSLRs. The low end of Nikon's DSLR range is very
profitable indeed for Nikon and its dealers.

>I'm more worried thought about what the Sony will do to m4/3rds? If
>they come out with some decent lenses (Panasonic rumour is that they
>will release a compact pancake zoom with electronic zooming!) they
>must might really hurt the m4/3rds offerings.

The pressure is on m4/3rds to come up with some better sensors.

Panasonic has 16 MP in the G3 but the noise and dynamic range are
poor. Olympus is in a worse position with only 12 MP and even worse
noise and dynamic range. Sony is now in an extremely strong position
and (in my opinion) will dominate the CSC market. The NEX-7 is a
masterstroke.

>> Personally, I'm thrilled with the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX which
>> will make the NEX-7 a very strong competitor for the excellent
>> Fujifilm X100. *Of course Fujifilm has an interchangeable-lens version
>> of the X100 in advanced development, but it will have to be very
>> special indeed if it is to dethrone the NEX-7 as the king of the CSCs.

>I'm counting the days to this thing's release. It's finally a Sony I
>really want. Just watch the prices on higher-end older primes on Ebay
>once this thing launches. Supporting 24mp (on an APS sensor) as it
>should be will mean one thing: Zeiss or Leica.

That's two things, but I know what you mean. The fact that an NEX
camera will accept almost any brand of lens made for full frame or DX
is a strong selling point. People who are considering the Ricoh GXR
module with Leica M mount may now have a 24 MP option in the NEX-7.

I had a 'hands-on preview' of the NEX-7 recently and was hugely
impressed, although we weren't allowed to take any image files with us
afterwards. It handles well and is a very polished piece of hardware.
As you say, it is a very desirable piece of kit.