Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > code base(not a technical question)

code base(not a technical question)

Asit Dhal

I have a lot of code snippets in my system which I mostly use during development. Is there any tool(like VSS though I don't need version control) in which I can store them and later get whenever I need ?

Robert Klemme

On 08/23/2011 07:54 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
> I have a lot of code snippets in my system which I mostly use during
> development. Is there any tool(like VSS though I don't need version
> control) in which I can store them and later get whenever I need ?

I don't quite understand: if you do not need revision control, you can
store them anywhere - or put them into an archive. You could even
compile them and package sources and class files into a JAR.

Kind regards

robert

Asit Dhal

This is like thousands of text files containing code and explanation. This is impossible to retrieve efficiently.

I need something which will tag something in a text file and store it. By searching in, I will get the code.

Jeff Higgins

On 08/23/2011 01:54 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
> I have a lot of code snippets in my system which I mostly use during development. Is there any tool(like VSS though I don't need version control) in which I can store them and later get whenever I need ?

Web search terms code+snippet+storage
This blog:
<http://blog.programmableweb.com/2011/08/16/access-pastebins-code-snippets-and-hacker-rants-via-api/>
suggests Snipt, Pastebin, Evernote.

Jeff Higgins

On 08/23/2011 04:53 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 01:54 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
>> I have a lot of code snippets in my system which I mostly use during
>> development. Is there any tool(like VSS though I don't need version
>> control) in which I can store them and later get whenever I need ?
>>

> Web search terms code+snippet+storage
> This blog:
> <http://blog.programmableweb.com/2011/08/16/access-pastebins-code-snippets-and-hacker-rants-via-api/>
>
> suggests Snipt, Pastebin, Evernote.

And then there's "Dude! Where's My Code! 1.1.6.0".

Arved Sandstrom

On 11-08-23 05:48 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
> This is like thousands of text files containing code and explanation. This is impossible to retrieve efficiently.
>
> I need something which will tag something in a text file and store it. By searching in, I will get the code.

You're basically talking about an (enterprise) content management
system, or (E)CMS. One of the main things they do is store documents for
efficient search and retrieval by metadata (properties or keywords) and
content. There are a large number of free (and often open-source) CMSs
out there - you've probably heard of Drupal and Alfresco, to mention two
out of dozens.

AHS

markspace

On 8/23/2011 1:48 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
> This is like thousands of text files containing code and explanation.
> This is impossible to retrieve efficiently.
>
> I need something which will tag something in a text file and store
> it. By searching in, I will get the code.

When I need to locate some code I've already written, I use grep.

Arne Vajh°j

On 8/23/2011 4:48 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
> This is like thousands of text files containing code and explanation. This is impossible to retrieve efficiently.
>
> I need something which will tag something in a text file and store it. By searching in, I will get the code.

Write a little Java app that can generate and search a full
text index of the files content in a database.

Optionally the files themselves can be stored in the database
as well.

I use such a tool for all the example code I have written over the
years.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 8/23/2011 5:05 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 11-08-23 05:48 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
>> This is like thousands of text files containing code and explanation. This is impossible to retrieve efficiently.
>>
>> I need something which will tag something in a text file and store it. By searching in, I will get the code.

> You're basically talking about an (enterprise) content management
> system, or (E)CMS. One of the main things they do is store documents for
> efficient search and retrieval by metadata (properties or keywords) and
> content. There are a large number of free (and often open-source) CMSs
> out there - you've probably heard of Drupal and Alfresco, to mention two
> out of dozens.

I am sure that they can do it.

But using Alfresco to be able to search a few thousand text
files may be a bit of an overkill.

Arne

Jeff Higgins

On 08/23/2011 01:54 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
> I have a lot of code snippets in my system which I mostly use during development. Is there any tool(like VSS though I don't need version control) in which I can store them and later get whenever I need ?

Depending upon your development environment, you could search <my
development environment>+code+snippet.
When I search Eclipse+code+snippet, I get references to Snippet View and
Template View. Thanks, I wasn't even aware of them.
When I search emacs+code+snippet, I get yasnippet and Textmate.