Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Windows No-Install Distribution?

Windows No-Install Distribution?

Eric Lemings

Hi,

I would like to create/find a Python 3.x distribution that can be
redeployed simply by copying a directory of required files; i.e.
without the need for actually "installing" an MSI, modifying Windows
registry entries, etc. First of all, will Python even work on Windows
simply by copying files from one system to another? If so, does such
a "no-install" distribution already exist? If not, what are the
minimum set of Python 3.x files from a standard Windows Python
installation required for proper/normal operation?

Thanks,
Eric.

Redcat

I haven't tried it myself yet, but might http://www.portablepython.com/
be what you're looking for?

Andrew Berg

On 2011.08.23 10:29 AM, Eric Lemings wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to create/find a Python 3.x distribution that can be
> redeployed simply by copying a directory of required files; i.e.
> without the need for actually "installing" an MSI, modifying Windows
> registry entries, etc. First of all, will Python even work on Windows
> simply by copying files from one system to another? If so, does such
> a "no-install" distribution already exist? If not, what are the
> minimum set of Python 3.x files from a standard Windows Python
> installation required for proper/normal operation?

I unpacked the 32-bit version of CPython 3.2 from its installer into a
folder and it seems to work. I haven't done any real testing, but it
works for me (mainly I just need to have the files needed to build
32-bit frozen binaries with cx_Freeze).

--
CPython 3.2.1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17592 | Thunderbird 5.0
PGP/GPG Public Key ID: 0xF88E034060A78FCB

Eric Lemings

On Aug 23, 9:31*am, Redcat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I haven't tried it myself yet, but mighthttp://www.portablepython.com/
> be what you're looking for?

Almost except it contains additional Python packages that I'm not
interested in.

Stephen Hansen

On 8/23/11 8:29 AM, Eric Lemings wrote:
> I would like to create/find a Python 3.x distribution that can be
> redeployed simply by copying a directory of required files; i.e.

Just take the default installer, install it, and then check the Python
directory: does it have the python DLL? If not, go look into the
system32 directory, grab it, drop it in the Python directory. (If you
installed for all-users this will happen,

Now copy/zip/whatever that Python directory to another machine where it
was not installed. It'll work fine.

You'll have to explicitly provide the path to the Python.exe of course;
you can't just double-click on a .py or run 'python blah.py', but if
your shortcuts/whatever all do C:\Where\You\Installed\Python.exe,
everything should just work.

We do that at work and never run into any trouble. (We actually provide
a MSI but only for convenience of customers who want to auto-install via
Group Policy).

In most situations, Python's good at "finding itself", i.e. where the
python.exe is actually located -- and it boostraps the location of
everything else based on that.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

Eric Lemings

On Aug 23, 1:52*pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/23/11 8:29 AM, Eric Lemings wrote:
>
> > I would like to create/find a Python 3.x distribution that can be
> > redeployed simply by copying a directory of required files; i.e.

> Just take the default installer, install it, and then check the Python
> directory: does it have the python DLL? If not, go look into the
> system32 directory, grab it, drop it in the Python directory. (If you
> installed for all-users this will happen,
>
> Now copy/zip/whatever that Python directory to another machine where it
> was not installed. It'll work fine.
>
> You'll have to explicitly provide the path to the Python.exe of course;
> you can't just double-click on a .py or run 'python blah.py', but if
> your shortcuts/whatever all do C:\Where\You\Installed\Python.exe,
> everything should just work.
>
> We do that at work and never run into any trouble. (We actually provide
> a MSI but only for convenience of customers who want to auto-install via
> Group Policy).
>
> In most situations, Python's good at "finding itself", i.e. where the
> python.exe is actually located -- and it boostraps the location of
> everything else based on that.
>
> --
>
> * *Stephen Hansen
> * *... Also: Ixokai
> * *... Mail: me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io
> * *... Blog:http://meh.ixokai.io/
>
> *signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Excellent start.

Which files comprise the standard Python library? Only the files in
the 'Lib' subdirectory or are more needed?

Terry Reedy

On 8/23/2011 5:56 PM, Eric Lemings wrote:
> On Aug 23, 1:52 pm, Stephen Hansen<me+list/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 8/23/11 8:29 AM, Eric Lemings wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to create/find a Python 3.x distribution that can be
>>> redeployed simply by copying a directory of required files; i.e.

>> Just take the default installer, install it,

except do a custom install and leave out what you do not want. (Tools?
tcl/tk/idle?). You can leave out tests, but then you might want that, at
least once, to test your no-install copy.

>> and then check the Python
>> directory: does it have the python DLL? If not, go look into the
>> system32 directory, grab it, drop it in the Python directory. (If you
>> installed for all-users this will happen,

For Python3, python3.dll in in Python3y\DLLs even for all users install.
I believe this is per MS recommendation. So just copy the entire
python3y directory.

> Which files comprise the standard Python library? Only the files in
> the 'Lib' subdirectory

That only has Python-coded modules.

> or are more needed?

C-coded modules are in /DLLs. I presume /libs is needed too but I do not
really know, and I will not experiment.

Just limit your install to what you want and copy everything.

--
Terry Jan Reedy