Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Indoor Photography

Indoor Photography

mmyvusenet

Hello:

These days it's raining in Lima, or there is so much humidity that the days
are cloudy, I'm trying to improve indoor photography, and I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6069807209/

It would be interesting to know your recommendations in this kind of
photography.

By the way, I took advantage to take this video in the main square.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6067609837/

Thanks for your comments.

--
MMYV
http://www.mmyv.com

Mort

mmyvusenet wrote:
> Hello:
>
> These days it's raining in Lima, or there is so much humidity that the days
> are cloudy, I'm trying to improve indoor photography, and I took this photo:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6069807209/
>
> It would be interesting to know your recommendations in this kind of
> photography.
>
> By the way, I took advantage to take this video in the main square.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6067609837/
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> --
> MMYV
> http://www.mmyv.com

Hi,

It's a very nice picture, with natural-appearing lighting, and nice
framing. Muy bueno, amigo. I tried replying via your Yahoo page, but
Yahoo refuses to take my valid ID and password.

Mort
New York

BobS

Miguel,

I would have shot it differently but I wasn't there to judge the limitations
of taking the shot. Assuming that was the best position and angle you could
get, then framing the picture in portrait mode, opening the lens to get some
bokeh on the background and using a fill flash off to the side would make a
dramatic difference to me. But I'm one that likes the effects of HDR and
saturated colors.

Try cropping the shot to get rid of some of the distractions such as the
wall on the right and reducing the background on the left side. Depending
on the software you use, you may have other options for bringing out some
highlights on the face, robe and flowers and make the central subject "jump"
a little.

If the photo was taken to just document something you saw as a memento, then
it works as is for a snapshot. But if you want to do better, then go back
and shoot it again. Sometimes places do not allow flashes or tripods to be
used, so you need to get creative. A faster lens, a monopod and a LED
flashlight (it's not a flash...) may be some things to try.

Bob S.

"mmyvusenet" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Hello:

These days it's raining in Lima, or there is so much humidity that the days
are cloudy, I'm trying to improve indoor photography, and I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6069807209/

It would be interesting to know your recommendations in this kind of
photography.

By the way, I took advantage to take this video in the main square.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6067609837/

Thanks for your comments.

--
MMYV
http://www.mmyv.com

Bruce

"BobS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Miguel,
>
>I would have shot it differently but I wasn't there to judge the limitations
>of taking the shot. Assuming that was the best position and angle you could
>get, then framing the picture in portrait mode, opening the lens to get some
>bokeh on the background and using a fill flash off to the side would make a
>dramatic difference to me. But I'm one that likes the effects of HDR and
>saturated colors.
>
>Try cropping the shot to get rid of some of the distractions such as the
>wall on the right and reducing the background on the left side. Depending
>on the software you use, you may have other options for bringing out some
>highlights on the face, robe and flowers and make the central subject "jump"
>a little.
>
>If the photo was taken to just document something you saw as a memento, then
>it works as is for a snapshot. But if you want to do better, then go back
>and shoot it again. Sometimes places do not allow flashes or tripods to be
>used, so you need to get creative. A faster lens, a monopod and a LED
>flashlight (it's not a flash...) may be some things to try.

How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?

Just look at all the awards his image got!

BobS

Bruce said:

How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?

Just look at all the awards his image got!

You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....

Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.
I've been following his shots of some very interesting places for the past
year and his improvement has been significant. Now if we can just convince
him that a CPL would help pop some of those outdoor shots.

Keep up the good work Miguel !

Bob S.

Charles

The "subject" is lost. Do some work with angles and field of view to let
folks know what you are trying to tell them.

If the "subject" is not what I assumed, then perhaps both you and I are
wrong. You see ... photography is not all that different from other forms
of communication. The message is what is important and the subject is often
the key.

This is a good picture taken by a good camera and there are now billions of
those!

"mmyvusenet" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Hello:

These days it's raining in Lima, or there is so much humidity that the days
are cloudy, I'm trying to improve indoor photography, and I took this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6069807209/

It would be interesting to know your recommendations in this kind of
photography.

By the way, I took advantage to take this video in the main square.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6067609837/

Thanks for your comments.

--
MMYV
http://www.mmyv.com

otter

On Aug 24, 3:46*pm, "BobS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bruce said:
>
> How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?
>
> Just look at all the awards his image got!
>

> You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....
>
> Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.
> I've been following his shots of some very interesting places for the past
> year and his improvement has been significant.

It seems like he does. Sometimes. But then he reverts back to
posting pictures like this.
It's like that movie "50 First Dates", except I don't think there will
be a happy ending.

I almost suspect him to be deliberately trolling this group, just to
get a rise out of people like me.

otter

On Aug 25, 1:03*am, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 3:46*pm, "BobS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Bruce said:

> > How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?

> > Just look at all the awards his image got!

> > You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....

> > Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.
> > I've been following his shots of some very interesting places for the past
> > year and his improvement has been significant.

> It seems like he does. *Sometimes. *But then he reverts back to
> posting pictures like this.
> It's like that movie "50 First Dates", except I don't think there will
> be a happy ending.
>
> I almost suspect him to be deliberately trolling this group, just to
> get a rise out of people like me.

Along these lines, I think I will take a no-negative post policy
towards Miguel. I know I could just do it, and not say it, but this
statement will help keep me honest.

Bruce

"BobS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce said:
>
>How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?
>
>Just look at all the awards his image got!
>

>You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....
>
>Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.

There is no evidence of any improvement here.

Some months ago an expert photographer posted links to his own web
site containing many images of the historical city of Lima. It was
difficult to believe that his captivating, colourful, well-composed,
detailed and pin sharp images were of the same city as Miguel's dull,
low contrast, unsharp snapshots.

Still, he didn't have quite as many "awards" as Miguel.

M-M

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think I will take a no-negative post policy
> towards Miguel

Why?

--
m-m