Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > [Q] Decent ISP in NZ??

[Q] Decent ISP in NZ??

Frank Williams

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:19:15 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> On 2011-11-02, Your Name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> ><(E-Mail Removed)>,

>outgoing

>trying to

>with it

>> > Except as I said, I don't have the time to spend making all the chageovers
>> > and it's an extra expense paying the useless Vodafone for their half-assed
>> > service AND another ISP.

>> It seems you do have time to a) post in this ng why you do not have the time
>> and b) put up with the service you are receiving.
>>
>> Would you change power companies if your present one gave you balck outs and
>> brown outs willy nilly, and one from the competition did not? Or your prsent
>> one ignored your complaints while another did its best to fix things up for
>> you.
>>
>> Oh, I forgot, you do not have time. Go on bite the bullet and fix it for
>> good, you'll be pleased that you did

>Changing electricity companies takes two minutes. Posting here takes two
>minutes.
>
>Changing to a new email provider will take months of work to make sure
>you've made the change at hundreds of different websites and contacts (and
>there's three separate email accounts to change). Meanwhile you have to
>keep paying Vodafone for a clapped out "service" to collect any emails you
>missed. (In some website cases it's not possible to change your email
>address, so would have to open a whole new account - yes, they're badly
>designed websites, but it does happen.)
>
>Vodafone do do "their best" to fix the problems ... but their "best" is
>attrociously bad. Yesterday they put me on hold twice and disconected me,
>meaning I had to phone back and go through the entire performance again.
>Plus they don't even listen:
>
> - I tell them it's the outgoing server that has problems and
> they try sending me messages to see if I recieve it. :-\
>
> - I tell them it's a dial-up connection and they keep asking me
> to check if it's working while I'm on the phone to them. :-\
>
> - I tell them the problem *IS* their server, that it has
> happened and been "fixed" (more like patched over until it
> fails again) previously, and yet they insist on re-checking
> my settings. :-\
>
> - I tell them it's happening on two computers where nothing has
> been changed and that I'm using a Mac, and they keep telling
> me to check Windows' settings. :-\

Ihug has always been Totally Crap, I found that out in a matter of weeks
back in the dialup days, I find no problems with Clears cable and I get
a good 2Mb up load speed, I dont think that ADSL users get that at all.

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ihug has always been Totally Crap, I found that out in a matter of weeks
> back in the dialup days,

It depends on how far back you go. Originally ihug was probably THE best
ISP in the country, but then the owners started get greedy and stupid (at
one stage the morons were buying a cinema chain!), and that's when the
cracks started appearing and quickly spreading with servers constantly
falling over and rarely being actually fixed (hence ihug dropping all
binaries newsgroups simply to lighten the load of the server since they
could be bothered actually fixing it - that simply meant it took longer to
fall over). They then sold ihug to Vodafone who have been flushing the
company down the toilet ever since and it's now probably THE worst ISP in
the country.

Another favourite excuse by Vodafone is that my computer is "too old" ...
but I have a couple of home users I help out who have even older computers
than mine using dial-up accounts with Xtra and Orcon, and they have none
of these ridiculous problems.

The simple fact is that Vodafone is utterly incompetent as an ISP, they
were never really interested in being an ISP (they simply wanted to get
their sticky mitts into NZ phonelines), have no clue what dial-up is, have
no clue what a Mac is, etc.

> I find no problems with Clears cable and I get a good 2Mb up load speed,
> I dont think that ADSL users get that at all.

Could be useful for others, but I don't think Clear's cable service is
available here, and as with ADSL it's simply far too expensive - that's
why I'm still using dial-up.

Your Name

In article <j8qmjj$r7c$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 6:19 p.m., Your Name wrote:
> >
> > Changing electricity companies takes two minutes. Posting here takes two
> > minutes.
> >
> > Changing to a new email provider will take months of work to make sure
> > you've made the change at hundreds of different websites and contacts (and
> > there's three separate email accounts to change). Meanwhile you have to
> > keep paying Vodafone for a clapped out "service" to collect any emails you
> > missed. (In some website cases it's not possible to change your email
> > address, so would have to open a whole new account - yes, they're badly
> > designed websites, but it does happen.)
> >
> > Vodafone do do "their best" to fix the problems ... but their "best" is
> > attrociously bad. Yesterday they put me on hold twice and disconected me,
> > meaning I had to phone back and go through the entire performance again.
> > Plus they don't even listen:
> >
> > - I tell them it's the outgoing server that has problems and
> > they try sending me messages to see if I recieve it. :-\
> >
> > - I tell them it's a dial-up connection and they keep asking me
> > to check if it's working while I'm on the phone to them. :-\
> >
> > - I tell them the problem *IS* their server, that it has
> > happened and been "fixed" (more like patched over until it
> > fails again) previously, and yet they insist on re-checking
> > my settings. :-\
> >
> > - I tell them it's happening on two computers where nothing has
> > been changed and that I'm using a Mac, and they keep telling
> > me to check Windows' settings. :-\

> You probably won't get their service fixed, so you should consider what
> your options are to reduce your dependency on their bad service.
> It is pretty far from being a perfect world.
> You could use gmail or similat for your outgoing mail and set up gmail
> or similar to collect email from your vodafone accounts.

Unfortauntely that's about the only real solution, but it's "incredibly
annoying" (to put it politely) to have to continue to pay these
incompetent morons for their, at best, half-assed "service". X-(

Your Name

In article <j8sjpt$9cv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article

<(E-Mail Removed)>,

wrote:
> >> On 2/11/2011 6:19 p.m., Your Name wrote:

> (snip)
>
> >> You probably won't get their service fixed, so you should consider what
> >> your options are to reduce your dependency on their bad service.
> >> It is pretty far from being a perfect world.
> >> You could use gmail or similat for your outgoing mail and set up gmail
> >> or similar to collect email from your vodafone accounts.

> >Unfortauntely that's about the only real solution, but it's "incredibly
> >annoying" (to put it politely) to have to continue to pay these
> >incompetent morons for their, at best, half-assed "service". X-(

> .. and yet, that is what you are doing. If you continue to do so, it will
> continue to encourage them and you will continue to be grumpy. Your call.

As I said before, even with a free GMail or similar account, the problem
is time. I'm on a dial-up account which is slow and have limited online
time to do the set-up, testing and changing everyone over. I'm also
self-employed, which means working many hours and not often having "free
time" even at weekends. Vodafone SHOULD be fixing their problems - proper
service is what we pay them for.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name) wrote:
>In article <j8q3pj$jl2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>> In article

><(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) (Your Name) wrote:
>> ><(E-Mail Removed)>,

>> >Because it's too expensive and time consuming to try and change the
>> >multiple email addresses (used by differenet family members) to another
>> >company.

>> Ah ... the old "too hard" excuse. I merely point out that putting up with it
>> only encourages them. Complaits they can and will ignore.
>> Sounds like you need a domain name. Gives you a choice as to your ISP.
>> Or hotmail/gmail ?
>> Anyone except voda ?

>Except as I said, I don't have the time to spend making all the chageovers
>and it's an extra expense paying the useless Vodafone for their half-assed
>service AND another ISP.

So. To translate ... "I *really* hate them ... just not very much".

If words and deeds don't match, always pick deeds. Basically you don't
care enough - so live with it.

>> >I have no idea why Vodafone insists on interferring with people's email
>> >(incoming and outgoing) with their inept and ineffective spam filtering!!
>> >I don't know of any other ISP in the country that is remotely this
>> >incompetent. X-(

>> 2 wrods ... "then change". Not changing means you have made a choice ... so
>> either change or stop complaining to us ?

>I'm not "complaining to you", I'm simply trying to get through to the
>useless idiots at Vodafone via various means AND warning other people to
>stay well clear of the useless morons.

Not what it looks like from here. See above.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name) wrote:
>In article <j8qmjj$r7c$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2/11/2011 6:19 p.m., Your Name wrote:

(snip)

>> You probably won't get their service fixed, so you should consider what
>> your options are to reduce your dependency on their bad service.
>> It is pretty far from being a perfect world.
>> You could use gmail or similat for your outgoing mail and set up gmail
>> or similar to collect email from your vodafone accounts.

>Unfortauntely that's about the only real solution, but it's "incredibly
>annoying" (to put it politely) to have to continue to pay these
>incompetent morons for their, at best, half-assed "service". X-(

... and yet, that is what you are doing. If you continue to do so, it will
continue to encourage them and you will continue to be grumpy. Your call.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name) wrote:
>In article <j8sjpt$9cv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>> In article

><(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) (Your Name) wrote:

>> (snip)

>> >Unfortauntely that's about the only real solution, but it's "incredibly
>> >annoying" (to put it politely) to have to continue to pay these
>> >incompetent morons for their, at best, half-assed "service". X-(

>> .. and yet, that is what you are doing. If you continue to do so, it will
>> continue to encourage them and you will continue to be grumpy. Your call.

>As I said before, even with a free GMail or similar account, the problem
>is time. I'm on a dial-up account which is slow and have limited online
>time to do the set-up, testing and changing everyone over. I'm also
>self-employed, which means working many hours and not often having "free
>time" even at weekends. Vodafone SHOULD be fixing their problems - proper
>service is what we pay them for.

Sure. I hear you. I understand. But your choice of doing nothing will result
in nothing happening. Don't be surprised by that. Don't expect anything
different and disappointment will not be your companion.

The idea that telecom companies provide service is ... not new ... but still
interesting. The data for many over a long time indicate that this is not
likely.

There is however, definition 2 of "service" in your dictionary ... the one
involving boy cows and girl cows.

Your Name

Oh "goody". Now you don't even get a bounce error message - the useless
Vodafone morons are simply deleting out-going emails. X-(

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash McBash
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 19:33:35 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> wrote:
> >
> >Oh "goody". Now you don't even get a bounce error message - the useless
> >Vodafone morons are simply deleting out-going emails. X-(

> Have you considered posting your experiences on the Geekzone 'Vodafone
> and Ihug' forum (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40). You
> can also report ISP faults separately at
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/fault.asp
>
> There is a similar forum for Orcon that I frequent - and from time to
> time posters have savaged Orcon over reliability issues and some of
> the responses come from Orcon techs. Posters from Orcon are
> identified - so the same should apply to other forums. Its got to the
> point now where I only ever report Orco0n faults through the forum and
> faults pages unless it is so urgent as to warrant calling the
> helpdesk.

As well as phoning the Help Dewsk (which is rather pointless because they
aren't techs and follow simple scripts for novice's problems), I've tried
reporting these issues through Vodafone's own forum and got banned becuase
it "wasn't the right place", despite other people posting they were having
the same issues! If they can't be bothered reading faults posted top their
own forums, then I doubt they'll bother reading someone else's forum.

The morons at Vodafone simply aren't interested, or more likely don't know
how, in fixing anything until "enough" people are complaining and their
worthless Network Status page rarely ever reports any of the real
problems.

Gordon

On 2011-11-03, Crash McBash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 19:33:35 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> wrote:
>

>>Oh "goody". Now you don't even get a bounce error message - the useless
>>Vodafone morons are simply deleting out-going emails. X-(

> Have you considered posting your experiences on the Geekzone 'Vodafone
> and Ihug' forum (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=40). You
> can also report ISP faults separately at
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/fault.asp
>
> There is a similar forum for Orcon that I frequent - and from time to
> time posters have savaged Orcon over reliability issues and some of
> the responses come from Orcon techs. Posters from Orcon are
> identified - so the same should apply to other forums. Its got to the
> point now where I only ever report Orco0n faults through the forum and
> faults pages unless it is so urgent as to warrant calling the
> helpdesk.

Now this is interesting.

Do the ISPs post these links on their web site, or does it arrive by
postings in here?

If they, the ISPs take the complaints seriously then why not be pro active
about it?