Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Python Windows Extensions for Mac

Re: Python Windows Extensions for Mac

Chris Rebert

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, johnny.venter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello, I am looking for the Python Windows Extensions to see if they can be installed on a Mac.THanks.

Your request is nonsensical. pywin32 wraps the Windows API libraries.
Mac OS X is not Windows; it does not implement the Windows API. Thus,
there is nothing for pywin32 to wrap on a Mac. Square peg, round hole.

Cheers,
Chris

Günther Dietrich

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Rebert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, johnny.venter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I am looking for the Python Windows Extensions to see if they can be
>> installed on a Mac.THanks.

>Your request is nonsensical.

That's not completely true.

>pywin32 wraps the Windows API libraries.
>Mac OS X is not Windows; it does not implement the Windows API. Thus,
>there is nothing for pywin32 to wrap on a Mac.

Again: Not completely true.
One could run python under wine and get -- at least a part of -- the
Windows API.

>Square peg, round hole.

wine might be the tool that makes the square peg round.

Best regards,

Günther