Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > cropping images

cropping images

Roedy Green

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:06 +0200, Thomas Richter
<(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

>I pointed you to a pair of two utilities which do that rather nicely and
>cost $0. Where is the problem?

they don't run under windows, or at least not with minimal fuss the
way most windows utilities do.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Nigel Wade

On 20/08/11 01:14, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:06 +0200, Thomas Richter
> <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>
>> I pointed you to a pair of two utilities which do that rather nicely and
>> cost $0. Where is the problem?

> they don't run under windows,

apparently they do:
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/windows

> or at least not with minimal fuss the
> way most windows utilities do.

and exactly how many of the minimal-fuss Windows utilities that you have
installed and tried so far have provided you with the functionality that
you require?

At some point you may realize that it's a more cost-effective use of
your time to install something which you know works, even if it will
take up some of your time, rather than continue to waste time installing
minimal-fuss applications which don't work.

--
Nigel Wade

Jeff Higgins

On 08/22/2011 09:36 AM, bugbear wrote:
> Nigel Wade wrote:
>> On 20/08/11 01:14, Roedy Green wrote:
>>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:06 +0200, Thomas Richter
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone

>>> they don't run under windows,

>> apparently they do:
>> http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/windows

> The utilities posted by Thomas were pngtopnm, pnmcrop
> which are part of the netpbm suite,
> not ImageMagick.
>
> It appears (quick google) that netpbm was runnable on windows at
> one stage, and may still be.
>
> However, since netpbm is essentially built on
> the principle of pipelining the components
> together, Unix is very much its natural habitat.

I'm sure that the Cygwin environment for Windows is not for everyone
but installing a basic Cygwin and the libnetpbm certainly qualifies
as painless in my opinion.
<http://www.cygwin.com/packages/>

Nigel Wade

On 22/08/11 14:36, bugbear wrote:
> Nigel Wade wrote:
>> On 20/08/11 01:14, Roedy Green wrote:
>>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:06 +0200, Thomas Richter
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone

>>> they don't run under windows,

>> apparently they do:
>> http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/windows

> The utilities posted by Thomas were pngtopnm, pnmcrop
> which are part of the netpbm suite,
> not ImageMagick.

Ah, my mistake. Unfortunately I'd been following this thread last week
when ImageMagick was suggested by several people. The actual apps.
suggested by Thomas had been trimmed from this sub-thread, and I'd
mistakenly assumed they were referring to ImageMagick.

> It appears (quick google) that netpbm was runnable on windows at
> one stage, and may still be.
>
> However, since netpbm is essentially built on
> the principle of pipelining the components
> together, Unix is very much its natural habitat.

Probably so. I've never used them. I tend to stick to GIMP and
ImageMagick when I need to do image manipulation on Linux.

I still think Roedy would be best served by installing ImageMagick. If
not on Windows, then in a Linux virtual machine hosted by Windows. I'm
sure that it would be more productive in the long run than testing more
and more Windows utilities that promise everything, yet deliver very
little. It's also not going to carry a virus/trojan payload -
downloading and installing random Windows utilities off the 'net is a
route to perdition.

--
Nigel Wade

Cropping an image Darrel ASP .Net 3 04-23-2006 09:33 PM
Cropping a batch of images Terry Pinnell Digital Photography 11 01-29-2006 12:29 PM
.Net control for uploading, cropping and transforming graphics file FrankV ASP .Net 0 11-08-2005 03:28 AM
JAI example of cropping Andrew Neiderer Java 2 09-17-2005 11:31 AM
Cropping Images on Linux/Windows Bernd Digital Photography 15 01-06-2004 11:16 PM

Advertisments