Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Have I damaged lens mount?

Have I damaged lens mount?

Walter

I accidentally connected my tripod to the camera body instead of the
tripod mount on the lens's tripod collar. A big 1.5KG telephoto prime.
Oops. Soon realised the errors of my ways (tripod was top heavy and
hard to use) and did it properly. Just a newbie error. Any chance of
permanent damage? Any way to check?

Martin Brown

On 17/08/2011 12:21, Walter wrote:
> I accidentally connected my tripod to the camera body instead of the
> tripod mount on the lens's tripod collar. A big 1.5KG telephoto prime.
> Oops. Soon realised the errors of my ways (tripod was top heavy and
> hard to use) and did it properly. Just a newbie error. Any chance of
> permanent damage? Any way to check?

I would not have thought so. Letting it overbalance and fall over would
risk actual damage, but I reckon most lens mounts can stand a couple of
kg of lens hanging off them without suffering any ill effects.

Modest static load isn't likely to cause damage.

Regards,
Martin Brown

otter

On Aug 17, 6:21*am, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I accidentally connected my tripod to the camera body instead of the
> tripod mount on the lens's tripod collar. *A big 1.5KG telephoto prime.
> *Oops. Soon realised the errors of my ways (tripod was top heavy and
> hard to use) and did it properly. *Just a newbie error. *Any chance of
> permanent damage? Any way to check?

Highly doubtful you've caused any damage. The lens mounts are very
strong. Unless you notice some difficulty mounting lens or you have
some functional issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

David Dyer-Bennet

On Aug 17, 6:21*am, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I accidentally connected my tripod to the camera body instead of the
> tripod mount on the lens's tripod collar. *A big 1.5KG telephoto prime.
> *Oops. Soon realised the errors of my ways (tripod was top heavy and
> hard to use) and did it properly. *Just a newbie error. *Any chance of
> permanent damage? Any way to check?

Any damage would presumably cause the lens to point
slightly down instead of straight out. I think the
potential distortion is too small to detect in any
simple photographic test, though.

I wouldn't worry about it; that shouldn't even exceed
the specs for the mount. Using the foot on the
lens is more for stability than to protect the lens
mount.

Walter

On 17/08/2011 15:59, Allen wrote:
> Take the lens off of the camera (just for convenience) and see if you
> can attach the camera to the tripod. If you can, then no obvious
> problem

It's the lens flange/mount on the lens/body that I was worried about due
to the excessive force being exerted on it by not using the tripod
collar on the lens. Though I hadn't thought about the extra pressure
there would've been on the tripod screw going into the base of the
camera if that's what you mean I should check?

Walter

Super

Walter

On 17/08/2011 14:01, otter wrote:
> On Aug 17, 6:21 am, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I accidentally connected my tripod to the camera body instead of the
>> tripod mount on the lens's tripod collar. A big 1.5KG telephoto prime.
>> Oops. Soon realised the errors of my ways (tripod was top heavy and
>> hard to use) and did it properly. Just a newbie error. Any chance of
>> permanent damage? Any way to check?

> Highly doubtful you've caused any damage. The lens mounts are very
> strong. Unless you notice some difficulty mounting lens or you have
> some functional issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'll have a go tonight and see if there's any more friction than normal
when putting on a lens. Though I'm glad most people seem to think I'll
be fine. I sure hope so ! Silly mistake