Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > metservice virus

metservice virus

Lynz

Hi, does anyone have the latest on this. I the site safe yet?

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:04:39 +1200, in message <j2fb41$6pb$(E-Mail Removed)>
Lynz wrote:

> Hi, does anyone have the latest on this. I the site safe yet?

Yes. http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/metserv...ttack-aw-99110

BTW I visited the Metservice site dozens of times over the past few days
and never got infected. [Using Firefox with Flashblock.]

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:40:46 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Allistar wrote:

> Lynz wrote:
>
> > Hi, does anyone have the latest on this. I the site safe yet?

> What virus? I've just visited the site with no ill effect.

"Personal Shield Pro" -- Have you read the news?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...ervice-website

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10745663

http://www.techday.co.nz/netguide/ne...website/20859/

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Donchano

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:47:51 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:04:39 +1200, in message <j2fb41$6pb$(E-Mail Removed)>
>Lynz wrote:
>
>> Hi, does anyone have the latest on this. I the site safe yet?

>Yes. http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/metserv...ttack-aw-99110
>

>BTW I visited the Metservice site dozens of times over the past few days
>and never got infected. [Using Firefox with Flashblock.]

According to the news, you would have to click on one of the ad links
to be redirected to a bogus website fist. But since I'm using FF with
the adblock add-on, I don't see the ads anyway. Speaking of which, I
not sure I'm very happy to have advertising on a web service
underwritten by tax money. Then again, if advertising helps defray
costs ...

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:36:47 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Donchano wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:47:51 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

---snip---
>> BTW I visited the Metservice site dozens of times over the past few days
>> and never got infected. [Using Firefox with Flashblock.]

> According to the news, you would have to click on one of the ad links
> to be redirected to a bogus website fist. But since I'm using FF with
> the adblock add-on, I don't see the ads anyway.

According to the Stuff news website, "Computer users would not
necessarily have needed to click on an advertisement to be infected."
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/5458448/Malware-virus-hits-MetService-website>

I don't know who is right. I haven't even seen one of these ads,
and I have been visiting the Metservice website regularly for the
past 4 days using three different computers all without Adblock.

> Speaking of which, I
> not sure I'm very happy to have advertising on a web service
> underwritten by tax money. Then again, if advertising helps defray
> costs ...

AIUI Metservice is only partly, not fully, underwritten by tax money.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Gordon

On 2011-08-17, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:47:51 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:04:39 +1200, in message <j2fb41$6pb$(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Lynz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, does anyone have the latest on this. I the site safe yet?

>>Yes. http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/metserv...ttack-aw-99110
>>

>>BTW I visited the Metservice site dozens of times over the past few days
>>and never got infected. [Using Firefox with Flashblock.]

> According to the news, you would have to click on one of the ad links
> to be redirected to a bogus website fist. But since I'm using FF with
> the adblock add-on, I don't see the ads anyway. Speaking of which, I
> not sure I'm very happy to have advertising on a web service
> underwritten by tax money. Then again, if advertising helps defray
> costs ...

Indeed. Newspapers and magazines have ads. Both of which people buy. Ads
keep the cost down to the reader

Gordon

On 2011-08-17, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ralph Fox wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:40:46 +1200, in message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> Allistar wrote:

>>> What virus? I've just visited the site with no ill effect.

>> "Personal Shield Pro" -- Have you read the news?
>>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...Malware-virus-

> hits-MetService-website
>>
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10745663
>>
>> http://www.techday.co.nz/netguide/ne...es-metservice-

> website/20859/
>
> It's a Trojan, implying people have to download it and run it. I couldn't do
> that even if I tried, considering I don't run Windows.

Ms Penguin says the weather is just right and horses are off to warmer
places

malone

> According to the Stuff news website, "Computer users would not
> necessarily have needed to click on an advertisement to be infected."
> <http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/5458448/Malware-virus-hits-MetService-website>
>
> I don't know who is right. I haven't even seen one of these ads,
> and I have been visiting the Metservice website regularly for the
> past 4 days using three different computers all without Adblock.

I visit the Metservice site a lot and did so yesterday. I didn't click
on any advert yet Avast! found two Trojans and another file it deemed a
threat yesterday evening when I did a full system scan. Can't remember
the exact details of the files because I deleted them. Can't be 100%
sure I picked them up from Metservice, but it's likely as I am usually
pretty careful about these things.

I'd recommend anyone who visited Metservice yesterday to do a full virus
scan to be on the safe side.