Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows live mail "contacts" db

Windows live mail "contacts" db

Me

I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
There are three other locations in
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
"contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
think of that.
Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
to open an "edb" file.

Gordon

On 2011-08-15, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
> But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
> The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
> But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
> created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
> since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
> rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
> get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
> path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
> There are three other locations in
> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
> "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
> large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
> Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
> file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
> whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
> think of that.
> Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
> to open an "edb" file.

I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
will import.

Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
from the edb file.

http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800

My 2c worth.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
Gordon says...

> On 2011-08-15, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
> > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
> > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
> > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
> > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
> > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
> > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
> > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
> > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
> > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
> > There are three other locations in
> > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
> > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
> > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
> > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
> > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
> > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
> > think of that.
> > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
> > to open an "edb" file.
> >

> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
> will import.
>
> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
> from the edb file.
>
> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800
>
> My 2c worth.

Or what about...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rum/windows_7-
networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
Gordon says...

> On 2011-08-15, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
> > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
> > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
> > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
> > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
> > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
> > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
> > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
> > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
> > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
> > There are three other locations in
> > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
> > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
> > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
> > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
> > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
> > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
> > think of that.
> > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
> > to open an "edb" file.
> >

> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
> will import.
>
> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
> from the edb file.
>
> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800
>
> My 2c worth.

or...
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1584257

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Gordon says...
> >
> > On 2011-08-15, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
> > > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
> > > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
> > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
> > > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
> > > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
> > > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
> > > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
> > > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
> > > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
> > > There are three other locations in
> > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
> > > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
> > > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
> > > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
> > > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
> > > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
> > > think of that.
> > > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
> > > to open an "edb" file.
> > >

> > I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
> > will import.
> >
> > Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
> > from the edb file.
> >
> > http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800
> >
> > My 2c worth.

> or...
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1584257

There's more here...
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=import+edb+...dows+Live+Mail

--
Duncan.

Me

On 16/08/2011 4:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Gordon says...
>>
>> On 2011-08-15, Me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
>>> But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
>>> The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
>>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
>>> But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
>>> created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
>>> since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
>>> rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
>>> get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
>>> path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
>>> There are three other locations in
>>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
>>> "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
>>> large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
>>> Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
>>> file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
>>> whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
>>> think of that.
>>> Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
>>> to open an "edb" file.
>>>

>> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
>> will import.
>>
>> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
>> from the edb file.
>>
>> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800
>>
>> My 2c worth.

> Or what about...
> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rum/windows_7-
> networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
> 4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c

Thanks, that lead looked really good, but there's no
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Database
in registry.
The 2011 version of WLM doesn't use this method.
Dammit...

Me

On 16/08/2011 4:42 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Gordon says...
>>
>> On 2011-08-15, Me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
>>> But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
>>> The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
>>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
>>> But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
>>> created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
>>> since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
>>> rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
>>> get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
>>> path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
>>> There are three other locations in
>>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
>>> "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
>>> large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
>>> Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
>>> file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
>>> whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
>>> think of that.
>>> Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
>>> to open an "edb" file.
>>>

>> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
>> will import.
>>
>> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
>> from the edb file.
>>
>> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800
>>
>> My 2c worth.

> or...
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1584257

Again, the 2011 update has changed - the windows live contacts folder
isn't created.

Dave Doe

In article <j2d67j$f61$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)d, Me
says...

> On 16/08/2011 4:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> > Gordon says...

> >> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
> >> will import.
> >>
> >> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
> >> from the edb file.
> >>
> >> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_19000....htm#190005800
> >>
> >> My 2c worth.

> > Or what about...
> > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rum/windows_7-
> > networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
> > 4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c
> >

> Thanks, that lead looked really good, but there's no
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Database
> in registry.
> The 2011 version of WLM doesn't use this method.
> Dammit...

Not sure if this one might help, worth checking out? ...
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_me..._contacts.html

That utility was recommended in a MS newsgroup too.

--
Duncan.

Me

On 16/08/2011 11:46 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<j2d67j$f61$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)d, Me
> says...
>>
>> On 16/08/2011 4:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>>> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
>>> Gordon says...

>>> Or what about...
>>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rum/windows_7-
>>> networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
>>> 4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c
>>>

>> Thanks, that lead looked really good, but there's no
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Database
>> in registry.
>> The 2011 version of WLM doesn't use this method.
>> Dammit...

> Not sure if this one might help, worth checking out? ...
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_me..._contacts.html
>
> That utility was recommended in a MS newsgroup too.

Thanks - I'd tried that one out - and a couple of others, but although
it seemed to work opening the file, it doesn't show any results. There
are contacts in the file - some of it is visible in plain text when
opening in a text editor. Darn it - this is a nuisance.

Me

On 17/08/2011 10:32 p.m., EMB wrote:
> On 17/08/2011 10:17 a.m., Me wrote:
>
>>> Not sure if this one might help, worth checking out? ...
>>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_me..._contacts.html
>>>
>>> That utility was recommended in a MS newsgroup too.
>>>

>> Thanks - I'd tried that one out - and a couple of others, but although
>> it seemed to work opening the file, it doesn't show any results. There
>> are contacts in the file - some of it is visible in plain text when
>> opening in a text editor. Darn it - this is a nuisance.

> http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2...acts-database/
> implies that edb are used in the current version and explains a bit
> about it.

Thanks. There's something "missed" in that and other explanations I've
seen - I think perhaps there's a difference between an install of wlm
2011 "fresh" install in win 7, and installed/updated over wlm 2009.
I can find the db file(s) in the wlm 2011 user appdata directory ok, but
if I copy over the old files saved from the borked hard drive, it
doesn't work.
It's not a file permissions problem (checked this).
I suspect that there's a new (to wlm 2011) registry key somewhere (and I
can't find it!) which wlm 2011 reads to find the db file. (it's not the
one mentioned in the article - as that one is not created when wlm 2011
is installed).
I'm stumped. Somewhere, on a disk saved in a safe place (before
earthquakes) I've got contacts from a few years ago, exported to a csv
file. Now I wonder where that disk is...