Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera fails. What happened?

Camera fails. What happened?

Charles Packer

On Aug 15, 12:49*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Perhaps. *I'm generally against this on a first round attempt on the
> premise that if the code in flash is bad it should fail a memory
> signature check (checksum) when it is loaded into runtime memory
> (usually "flash" firmware is copied to RAM for runtime and at that time
> the csum is calculated. *If it fails the camera should not operate at
> all other than to display a fail code (or flash a light indicating same))..
>
> Further, with a unit operating in a balky manner, there is no guarantee
> the flash load program in the unit ROM will initiate.

In reposne to the followup postings, I removed the battery and
waited 24 hours (I had previously verified that low
battery wasn't the source of my difficulties.) No luck.
Then I went to the Olympus Web site and did the firmware
update procedure. The camera screen showed all the right
symbols during the download, concluding with a big "OK".
Alas, that made no difference. I got the same weird
behavior. Oh well, thanks to everybody.

I guess I would still buy another Olympus product if I could
make use of the power adapter and USB cable with its
oddball connector, as well as the 512MB memory chip.
Could anybody comment about the likelihood that these
items are still useful?

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

otter

On Aug 17, 7:06*am, Charles Packer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 15, 12:49*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps. *I'm generally against this on a first round attempt on the
> > premise that if the code in flash is bad it should fail a memory
> > signature check (checksum) when it is loaded into runtime memory
> > (usually "flash" firmware is copied to RAM for runtime and at that time
> > the csum is calculated. *If it fails the camera should not operate at
> > all other than to display a fail code (or flash a light indicating same)).

> > Further, with a unit operating in a balky manner, there is no guarantee
> > the flash load program in the unit ROM will initiate.

> In reposne to the followup postings, I removed the battery and
> waited 24 hours (I had previously verified that low
> battery wasn't the source of my difficulties.) No luck.
> Then I went to the Olympus Web site and did the firmware
> update procedure. The camera screen showed all the right
> symbols during the download, concluding with a big "OK".
> Alas, that made no difference. I got the same weird
> behavior. Oh well, thanks to everybody.
>
> I guess I would still buy another Olympus product if I could
> make use of the power adapter and USB cable with its
> oddball connector, as well as the 512MB memory chip.
> Could anybody comment about the likelihood that these
> items are still useful?
>
> --
> Charles Packerhttp://cpacker.org/whatnews
> mailboxATcpacker.org

If you scroll down in this group, you will see a post called
"Repairing Digital Cameras for Fun" or something like that. Those
guys claim they can make cameras work "better than new". Maybe you
can cut a deal with one of those guys?