Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL and System Verilog Assertions

VHDL and System Verilog Assertions

thunder

Hi All

I started off implementing PSL assertions to the VHDL IP that we
develop (after reading the advice in this newsgroup)

However, management decision is that we need to implement System
Verilog assertions since eventually we want to build a UVM compliant
test bench.

My question is : how to interface the VHDL RTL to the SVA? From what i
can see, only the vunit method is viable. Embedding it directly in the
VHDL RTL is not possible ? Is that correct?

Also another question : We use Cadence ncsim for our simulation. Any
one have any experience of how easy/difficult it is to debug the SVA
in the VHDL IP/Cadence ncsim environment ?

Thanks in advance

JO

Jonathan Bromley

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:42:35 -0700 (PDT), thunder wrote:

>However, management decision is that we need to implement System
>Verilog assertions since eventually we want to build a UVM compliant
>test bench.
>
>My question is : how to interface the VHDL RTL to the SVA? From what i
>can see, only the vunit method is viable. Embedding it directly in the
>VHDL RTL is not possible ? Is that correct?

Write a module containing the SVA, with ports whose names
match the signals in the RTL that you wish to monitor.
Use SystemVerilog "bind" directive to inject an instance
of this module into your VHDL RTL. All the major simulators
support this methodology, but the precise details of how
to get port names right, etc, vary from one tool to another.

>Also another question : We use Cadence ncsim for our simulation. Any
>one have any experience of how easy/difficult it is to debug the SVA
>in the VHDL IP/Cadence ncsim environment ?

Should be fine. Again, all the major tools have excellent
support for mixed-language including waveform viewing etc.

This is one of the sweet spots for SV "bind", and it was
enthusiastically adopted by all the vendors almost as soon
as SV hit the streets. It should be mature and easy to use.
--
Jonathan Bromley