Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Video DVD with Files with a VOB extension

Video DVD with Files with a VOB extension

Dave C.

I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.

Thanks,

Dave

me again

Dave C. wrote:
> I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
> not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
> work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

VOB ::= Video Object

They are not designed to be run alone, however, several programs will
play them. My favorite (30 day free trial) is MVW (MPEG Video Wizard)
from Womble.

James D Andrews

Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :
> I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
> not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
> work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

The popular freeware VLC Media Player will play .Vob files - and most
other audio or video formats. It is for Win9x-Win7 systems. It is
available from:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/VLC-Med...ram_13617.html

There is also a portable version of the program that you can keep on
your flash drive useable on WinXP-7:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Portabl...ram_20222.html

The portable version is often packaged with some of the freeware
portable applications compilations (though not the collection named
Portable Apps).

You can also convert the file format. Since there are so many format
converters that specialize in converting just a few types of formats, I
recommend Format Factory, which converts numerous Video, Audio, Picture
(including icons), DVD & ISO formats. It also has built in audio &
video joiners, but I use other video editing software.

Format Factory is available free at:
http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
swept off to.
-Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

Paul

Dave C. wrote:
> I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
> not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
> work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

A file extension on a file, is not a reliable indicator
of the contents of the file.

If you need a guess at what kind of file it is, or what
kind of CODEC might handle it, try GSpot. It isn't
actively maintained, but it's still a handy tool to
have at your disposal. (If you're a full time video editor,
this won't be able to identify half of the stuff out there,
but, it's better than nothing.

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

There is a screenshot here.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c6pRzTJ4LD...eadbandsGS.jpg

Using the info in that screen, you can then come back and ask
where you can find a MPEG2 CODEC or an MPEG2 player etc.

Paul

me again

Paul wrote:
> Dave C. wrote:
>> I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. My computer will
>> not run them. I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
>> work. What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?
>>
>> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave

> A file extension on a file, is not a reliable indicator
> of the contents of the file.

That's so, but if it is a video DVD ( and not a data DVD ) then the file extensions
are required.

Dave C.

On Aug 13, 6:59*pm, James D Andrews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :
>
> > I have some DVDs with video file extension of .VOB. *My computer will
> > not run them. *I installed FinalMediaPlayer and couldn't get it to
> > work. *What software available is there so I can view these on my PC?

> > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 series running XP SP3.

> > Thanks,

> > Dave

> The popular freeware VLC Media Player will play .Vob files - and most
> other audio or video formats. *It is for Win9x-Win7 systems. *It is
> available from:
>
> http://www.freewarefiles.com/VLC-Med..._program_13617....
>
> There is also a portable version of the program that you can keep on
> your flash drive useable on WinXP-7:
>
> http://www.freewarefiles.com/Portabl..._program_20222....
>
> The portable version is often packaged with some of the freeware
> portable applications compilations (though not the collection named
> Portable Apps).
>
> You can also convert the file format. *Since there are so many format
> converters that specialize in converting just a few types of formats, I
> recommend Format Factory, which converts numerous Video, Audio, Picture
> (including icons), DVD & ISO formats. *It also has built in audio &
> video joiners, but I use other video editing software.
>
> Format Factory is available free at:http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim
>
> It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
> and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
> swept off to.
> -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

Thanks, Jim. That worked out very nice for me. Also, I am going to
play around with the Format Factory which might be useful from time to
time.

Best regards,

Dave

Dave C.

> The portable version is often packaged with some of the freeware
> portable applications compilations (though not the collection named
> Portable Apps).
>
> You can also convert the file format. *Since there are so many format
> converters that specialize in converting just a few types of formats, I
> recommend Format Factory, which converts numerous Video, Audio, Picture
> (including icons), DVD & ISO formats. *It also has built in audio &
> video joiners, but I use other video editing software.
>
> Format Factory is available free at:http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim

Jim

As I mentioned, the VLC Media Player worked out perfectly for me.

You mentioned another video joiner that you use. Which one would that
be?

Thanks,

Dave

James D Andrews

Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :

> Jim
>
> As I mentioned, the VLC Media Player worked out perfectly for me.
>
> You mentioned another video joiner that you use. Which one would that
> be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Glad VLC worked out for you, Dave.

I use a combination of NCH Software products for audio/visual editing.

http://www.nch.com.au/index.html

For audio, I use WavePad, which allows editing and some effects of
audio files in numerous formats.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

For video, I use VideoPad. It also works with multiple formats. It's
pretty easy to use and you can add additional audio backing, put in
subtitles, crop video, fade, and a whole bunch more.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

I use their products because of the many different formats they work
with. Far too many of the products out there work only with one or two
or so formats, which means you might have to convert a format to match
up, then edit or so on. Also, far too many only do one function, too,
such as only joining, only cutting, and so on.

There are 2 problems with their software.

1) The download versions are demos - partially time-bombware. After a
trial period, the premium functions are shut off unless you purchase
the $$$ version, which is the case with lots of freeware. However, the
free version still contains more than enough features to be functional
and then some. I've been using them both (freeware versions) for a
long time and they've done more than a lot of other software I tried
(and I tried a lot).

2) When you install one of their programs, it automatically places in
your Menu links to their other software, taking you to the page for
those programs you click on. There's quite a few of them. Not all are
freeware. This is quite annoying, but some of the other software is
pretty cool. You can always just delete these items from your menu.

I've tried just about every freeware A/V editing program carried on
several sites and I stick with these.

Also, I don't recommend the freeware usenet group. Almost all of it is
unrelated bickering, spam, and so on. You spend more time killfiling
than discussing freeware. It's better just to peruse the freeware
sites yourself.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
-Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

Dave C.

> For video, I use VideoPad. *It also works with multiple formats. *It's
> pretty easy to use and you can add additional audio backing, put in
> subtitles, crop video, fade, and a whole bunch more.
>
> http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

> --
> -There are some who call me...
> Jim

Jim,

The Video Pad is a success! It has far more features that I need. It
is quite elegant and after a little time with the help file, it worked
great. I just clip apart some videos and join some together.

Thanks for your time and the additional information.

Regards,

Dave

James D Andrews

Dave C. embroidered on the monitor :
>> For video, I use VideoPad. *It also works with multiple formats. *It's
>> pretty easy to use and you can add additional audio backing, put in
>> subtitles, crop video, fade, and a whole bunch more.
>>
>> http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

>> --
>> -There are some who call me...
>> Jim
>>

> Jim,
>
> The Video Pad is a success! It has far more features that I need. It
> is quite elegant and after a little time with the help file, it worked
> great. I just clip apart some videos and join some together.
>
> Thanks for your time and the additional information.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

No problem. I hope you have as much fun with it as I have. Now if I
could just find a decent freeware DVD Authoring program that makes an
entire DVD playable, not just the first 10 minutes. I'm running out of
discs.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because
you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra