Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: A late bloomer in the S gallery

Re: A late bloomer in the S gallery

otter

On Aug 11, 6:35*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter
> once ran this fiasco.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

Of the 3, I liked stealth the best.

Nice picture, borderline wall-worthy.

The blob makes an otherwise ordinary picture interesting.

Nit-picks:
- I'd prefer the focus on the eye to be crisper. The focus seems to
be on the scales at the armpit. The DOF of this lens is razor-thin,
so I can appreciate the difficulty.
- Usually better for a subject to face into more space. Don't know
how you could do that with a picture like this, though, without losing
the tail. Eh, rules were made to be broken.

PeterN

On 8/12/2011 9:39 AM, otter wrote:
> On Aug 11, 6:35 pm, Bowser<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter
>> once ran this fiasco.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

> Of the 3, I liked stealth the best.
>
> Nice picture, borderline wall-worthy.
>
> The blob makes an otherwise ordinary picture interesting.

It is an interesting shot. I don't see any interest in the image to the
left of the OOF blob.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:59:15 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 2011-08-12 09:39 , otter wrote:
: > - Usually better for a subject to face into more space. Don't know
: > how you could do that with a picture like this, though, without losing
: > the tail. Eh, rules were made to be broken.

That rule applies to a subject who is moving in the direction that he's
looking or at least looking at what he's facing. Neither of those cases
applies to the lizard.

: The shot is cropped from http://gallery.photo.net/photo/14000693-lg.jpg
: and the objective was to eliminate the BG distraction on the right and
: focus on the lizard. Though I have to say the backlit FG bokeh on the
: right has some redeeming qualities, it did not contribute to the
: 'stealth' title.
:
: As to the subject facing into more space, I would agree conventionally,
: but in this case only if there were prey to the right. (Note that the
: lizard almost always attacked 60 - 90 off his nose (eg to the sides)).

Of course, because the lizard's field of vision is primarily to his sides, a
characteristic of most prey animals. It's predators who have forward-looking,
binary vision. The lizard is quick enough, and his food sources abundant
enough, that he usually doesn't have to chase a meal. But he does have to
worry about becoming one.

Bob

otter

On Aug 12, 2:49*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:59:15 -0400, Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : On 2011-08-12 09:39 , otter wrote:
> : > - Usually better for a subject to face into more space. *Don't know
> : > how you could do that with a picture like this, though, without losing
> : > the tail. *Eh, rules were made to be broken.
>
> That rule applies to a subject who is moving in the direction that he's
> looking or at least looking at what he's facing. Neither of those cases
> applies to the lizard.

I had no idea the rule was so complicated.

But you are right!

It is right there in section 5.3 sub-paragraph 6: "Lizards can do
anything they damn well please".

Robert Coe

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:18:31 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Aug 12, 2:49*pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:59:15 -0400, Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: > : On 2011-08-12 09:39 , otter wrote:
: > : > - Usually better for a subject to face into more space. *Don't know
: > : > how you could do that with a picture like this, though, without losing
: > : > the tail. *Eh, rules were made to be broken.
: >
: > That rule applies to a subject who is moving in the direction that he's
: > looking or at least looking at what he's facing. Neither of those cases
: > applies to the lizard.
:
: I had no idea the rule was so complicated.
:
: But you are right!
:
: It is right there in section 5.3 sub-paragraph 6: "Lizards can do
: anything they damn well please".

The last time I was in the aquarium in Chicago, they had a komodo dragon.
"What a photo op!" thought I. I figured he'd at least pace around, hungrily
eyeing the kids that had their faces pressed against the glass. But when I got
there, he was curled up in a corner of his cage asleep. (At least it was a
corner up front where the kids could get a good look at him.) When I stopped
by on my way out two or three hours later, he had moved slightly but was still
asleep. Maybe Komodo dragons are the laziest lizards, as well as the largest.

Bob

PeterN

On 8/13/2011 8:04 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:18:31 -0700 (PDT), otter<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Aug 12, 2:49 pm, Robert Coe<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:59:15 -0400, Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :>
> :> : On 2011-08-12 09:39 , otter wrote:
> :> :> - Usually better for a subject to face into more space. Don't know
> :> :> how you could do that with a picture like this, though, without losing
> :> :> the tail. Eh, rules were made to be broken.
> :>
> :> That rule applies to a subject who is moving in the direction that he's
> :> looking or at least looking at what he's facing. Neither of those cases
> :> applies to the lizard.
> :
> : I had no idea the rule was so complicated.
> :
> : But you are right!
> :
> : It is right there in section 5.3 sub-paragraph 6: "Lizards can do
> : anything they damn well please".
>
> The last time I was in the aquarium in Chicago, they had a komodo dragon.
> "What a photo op!" thought I. I figured he'd at least pace around, hungrily
> eyeing the kids that had their faces pressed against the glass. But when I got
> there, he was curled up in a corner of his cage asleep. (At least it was a
> corner up front where the kids could get a good look at him.) When I stopped
> by on my way out two or three hours later, he had moved slightly but was still
> asleep. Maybe Komodo dragons are the laziest lizards, as well as the largest.

Dontcha know birds and animals have meetings where they discuss
photographers. Whenever they see a photographer the turn away, or go to
sleep. As soon as you put your camera down, the get photogenic. Put the
camera to your eye and the pose ends quickly. the Komodo must have gone
to the meeting.

--
Peter

John Turco

PeterN wrote:

> > On 8/13/2011 8:04 AM, Robert Coe wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> > The last time I was in the aquarium in Chicago, they had a komodo dragon.
> > "What a photo op!" thought I. I figured he'd at least pace around, hungrily
> > eyeing the kids that had their faces pressed against the glass. But when I got
> > there, he was curled up in a corner of his cage asleep. (At least it was a
> > corner up front where the kids could get a good look at him.) When I stopped
> > by on my way out two or three hours later, he had moved slightly but was still
> > asleep. Maybe Komodo dragons are the laziest lizards, as well as the largest.

> Dontcha know birds and animals have meetings where they discuss
> photographers. Whenever they see a photographer the turn away, or go to
> sleep. As soon as you put your camera down, the get photogenic. Put the
> camera to your eye and the pose ends quickly. the Komodo must have gone
> to the meeting.

Or, maybe...the komodo was in the commode?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>