Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Evil Apple not as ruthless as Adobe, but close

Reply
Thread Tools

Evil Apple not as ruthless as Adobe, but close

 
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2011
On 8/15/2011 8:18 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Aug 12, 6:08 pm, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 8/12/2011 12:41 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 12/08/2011 17:23, PeterN wrote:
>>>> On 8/12/2011 9:18 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>>>>> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>> BBC:

>>
>>>>>> 11 August 2011 Last updated at 19:02 ET
>>>>>> When to pull the plug on old software
>>>>>> Iain Mackenzie By Iain Mackenzie Technology reporter, BBC News
>>>>> []

>>
>>>>> .. and did you have permission for this verbatim copy of BBC material?

>>
>>>> We need a link to determine if indeed it is verbatim.

>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14437653

>>
>>> I didn't spot any differences, but I can't think that the BBC would be
>>> inclined to sue a halfwitted Canute troll for copyright infringement.
>>> They might take issue with his incendiary changed headline though.

>>
>>> It was originally titled "When to pull the plug on old software".

>>
>> the change of title is rather inflammatory.
>>
>>
>>
>>> It does seem surprising that they didn't warn users who wanted to
>>> upgrade and had older apps that Leo the Lion lacked Rosetta capability.

>>
>> It seems to me that before upgrading the OS the user has a
>> responsibility to test and see what effect the change has on current
>> applications. Even with one PC I can create a test partition.

>
> Can you, I've never seen it done to test compatability of software.
>


On your next trip to NY I will be happy to demonstrate.


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2011
On Aug 16, 12:26*am, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 8:18 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Aug 12, 6:08 pm, PeterN<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> On 8/12/2011 12:41 PM, Martin Brown wrote:

>
> >>> On 12/08/2011 17:23, PeterN wrote:
> >>>> On 8/12/2011 9:18 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> >>>>> "RichA"<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote in message
> >>>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>>> BBC:

>
> >>>>>> 11 August 2011 Last updated at 19:02 ET
> >>>>>> When to pull the plug on old software
> >>>>>> Iain Mackenzie By Iain Mackenzie Technology reporter, BBC News
> >>>>> []

>
> >>>>> .. and did you have permission for this verbatim copy of BBC material?

>
> >>>> We need a link to determine if indeed it is verbatim.

>
> >>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14437653

>
> >>> I didn't spot any differences, but I can't think that the BBC would be
> >>> inclined to sue a halfwitted Canute troll for copyright infringement.
> >>> They might take issue with his incendiary changed headline though.

>
> >>> It was originally titled "When to pull the plug on old software".

>
> >> the change of title is rather inflammatory.

>
> >>> It does seem surprising that they didn't warn users who wanted to
> >>> upgrade and had older apps that Leo the Lion lacked Rosetta capability.

>
> >> It seems to me that before upgrading the OS the user has a
> >> responsibility to test and see what effect the change has on current
> >> applications. Even with one PC I can create a test partition.

>
> > Can you, I've never seen it done to test compatability of software.

>
> On your next trip to NY I will be happy to demonstrate.
>


I've never been to NY, have no plans to go either.

So why not explain how it's done it here.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2011
On Aug 15, 5:15*pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> []
>
> > You really think anyones going to Listen, these directives come from
> > above.
> > We need to upgrade our 'game' now we're charging £9,000 PA.
> > We can;t keep running on XP with 2-3GHz pentiums .
> > we've installed new PCs 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM 1 TB drives.

>
> If they are not informed of potential problems, they cannot make an
> informed decision. *If they /are/ informed and still decide against your
> advice, then I feel they are responsible for picking up the pieces and
> funding any extra work required.
>
> >> XP mode doesn't work? *I was rather surprised when USB drivers worked.
> >> It
> >> may be worth a few minutes to check.

>
> > Because the systems people have tried it, some reseacher students have
> > tried it and Spectrum digital say it doesn't work
> > in emulation, something to do with emulating USB under code composer
> > studio software, they advise updrading to the new version 3.2 when
> > it's released.

>
> OK, but that's not the impression you gave earlier.
>
> > But just like the OP said why are we expected to check our software
> > when upgrading from XP to W7
> > It seems that some think if you buy Lion it is up to Apple to check
> > for compatability with old software
> > so why isn't it up to MS to check our software ?

>
> Why should you need to check lenses when you buy a new camera? *With
> respect, going from Windows XP to Windows-7 is a step of nearly ten years,
> and Microsoft do provide plenty of advice on the issues to be investigated
> and tools for compatibility checking.
>
> *http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...7/en-us/defaul....
> *http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor
>
> As far as I know, Apple would have done something similar when moving from
> PowerPC to Intel architecture, and Lion
>
> *http://www.thetechlabs.com/tech-news...compatibility/
>
> Interesting that the Apple information is from a 3rd-party (Google search:
> Lion compatibility) whereas the Microsoft information is direct from the
> company (Google search: Windows-7 compatibility).


Why go online why not use system profiler to check to see if your
apps
are PPC or intel. There were warnings years ago about going from PPC
to Intel
a similar thing happened when they went from 68k to PPC.
I still have 68k apps that I'd like Lion to run but I know there's no
way.

I'd be interested to know why the OP wanted to go to Lion anyway, is
it just "I must have the lastest......"






 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2011
"R. Mark Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> W7 is OK, it was Vista that emulated a termite mound, so most techies
> stayed with XP until W7 SP1.
>
>
> : And we wanted to go 64 bit, can't do that with XP.
>
> Er yes you can, although you mihgt have to buy the slightly more
> expensive professional edition: -
>
> read up -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...al_x64_Edition


Watch out for driver issues on 64-bit XP, though.

I have Vista SP2 on a couple of PCs here, and it's OK with the devices I
have. Like many Operating Systems, it does need enough physical memory to
work well.

Windows-7 refines Vista and has been a joy to use, even from the beta
release. For most things, it's probably my preferred OS, although Windows
XP is rather leaner and meaner, which can be an advantage in some
real-time data capture applications on limited capability kit.

Cheers,
David

 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2011
On Aug 16, 8:56*pm, "R. Mark Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "Whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 12, 6:41 pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:> On 2011-08-12 13:17 , John A. wrote:
>
> SNIP
>
>
>
> > For such use I'd just stick with WinXP and leave 7 alone.

>
> W7 is OK, it was Vista that emulated a termite mound, so most techies stayed
> with XP until W7 SP1.


yes as a university those that knew what they were doing stayed well
away,
while those individuals that wanted the lastest brought vista but
weren;t supported.

>
> : And we wanted to go 64 bit, can't do that with XP.
>
> Er yes you can, although you mihgt have to buy the slightly more expensive
> professional edition: -


With 15,000 studentsacxross 5 or more buildings just a little more
expensive is a lot.
we also need compatability, XP 64 had many problems at the time
including not being compatable with virus checkers,
can you iumahge the problems with 1,000s of students from not only the
UK we have 500+ in china swapping files
sending emails which include essays, student software codes, on-line
tests, coursework and general email
from most countries in teh world and not having virus protection is
asking for trouble.

>
> read up -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition


There were just too many problems to make the short term investment.
What use is it to the majority whenyou might need to users to make
iundividual workarouind when running MS office 2010 !


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Apple: An Evil Empire in the Making? Richard NZ Computing 5 04-24-2010 10:51 AM
How to close a TCP socket? (TCPSocket#close doesn't close it) IƱaki Baz Castillo Ruby 7 01-12-2010 01:32 PM
Evil, evil wxPython (and a glimmer of hope) vivainio@gmail.com Python 12 02-17-2006 07:49 PM
Ruthless People Anamorphic? Aphelion DVD Video 6 11-25-2004 02:46 AM



Advertisments