Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] A late bloomer in the S gallery

Re: [SI] A late bloomer in the S gallery

Tim Conway

"Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter once
> ran this fiasco.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

The stable is cool but needs a horse poking its head out of the window.

The steeple is nice but does it belong in Pisa? (as in leaning tower of...)

I like the stealth. It reminds me of a Pennsylvania state police cruiser
camoflaged waiting to bait a speeder.

Have a good one....

Robert Coe

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:08:17 -0400, "Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
: "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter once
: > ran this fiasco.
: >
: > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s
:
: The stable is cool but needs a horse poking its head out of the window.

Why would he bother? He'd just walk out the door. The horses are out being
exercised or ridden on the trail; that's why the door is open. Off to the
left, out of the picture, may be a tractor pullng a cart with apples, carrots,
and buckets of oats.

: The steeple is nice but does it belong in Pisa? (as in leaning tower of...)

You have to cut Alan some slack there. If he'd shown the tower straight up and
down from that angle, we'd have knocked him for making it look too cut off.
Nice texture in the stones.

: I like the stealth. It reminds me of a Pennsylvania state police cruiser
: camoflaged waiting to bait a speeder.

Nice colors and composition, up to a point. But the yellow blob in the
foreground is too massive and forms a distraction. I might be tempted to agree
with you about the weaselly, coppish look of the lizard, but I wouldn't want
to risk offending the Savage Duck, a retired police detective. ;^)

The most interesting thing about these pictures is how stylistically different
they are from the dark, saturated, Kodachrome-like images Alan was showing a
couple of years ago. One style isn't necessarily better than the other
(although personally I like these better), but it shows a welcome flexibility.

Bob

tony cooper

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter once
>> ran this fiasco.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

>The stable is cool but needs a horse poking its head out of the window.
>
>The steeple is nice but does it belong in Pisa? (as in leaning tower of...)

I think it's an effective use of rotating the image.

>I like the stealth. It reminds me of a Pennsylvania state police cruiser
>camoflaged waiting to bait a speeder.

It is good.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:47:30 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:08:17 -0400, "Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>:
>: "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>: > Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter once
>: > ran this fiasco.
>: >
>: > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s
>:
>: The stable is cool but needs a horse poking its head out of the window.
>
>Why would he bother? He'd just walk out the door. The horses are out being
>exercised or ridden on the trail; that's why the door is open. Off to the
>left, out of the picture, may be a tractor pullng a cart with apples, carrots,
>and buckets of oats.
>
>: The steeple is nice but does it belong in Pisa? (as in leaning tower of...)
>
>You have to cut Alan some slack there. If he'd shown the tower straight up and
>down from that angle, we'd have knocked him for making it look too cut off.
>Nice texture in the stones.
>
>: I like the stealth. It reminds me of a Pennsylvania state police cruiser
>: camoflaged waiting to bait a speeder.
>
>Nice colors and composition, up to a point. But the yellow blob in the
>foreground is too massive and forms a distraction. I might be tempted to agree
>with you about the weaselly, coppish look of the lizard, but I wouldn't want
>to risk offending the Savage Duck, a retired police detective. ;^)

Horses for courses. The blob frames the creature. A non-standard
format panorama-type crop might work, but I like the image.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:30:33 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2011-08-12 11:16 , tony cooper wrote:

>>> It was interesting watching him snag flies. No way to catch it though
>>> other than a lucky shot. Even when you knew he was about to go, the
>>> chances of catching it were very slim.

>> What we are used to tends to influence our choice of shots. We tend
>> not to really notice what is around us every day.
>>
>> Any Floridian's yard is alive with anoles (the type of lizard here).
>> They are so common that it's difficult to think of them as
>> photographic subjects.
>>
>> I see tourists with cameras, though, stalking anoles like they were
>> white tigers. They are quick little things, but miss one and you can
>> turn around and focus on another.
>>
>> The easiest shot is when the males (I guess they are the males) are in
>> the horny mode. The are more stationary then, and sit somewhere
>> blowing out their brightly-colored throat to attract females (I guess
>> that's what they're after.)
>>
>> This "ignore the common" is probably the reason we see so many
>> photographs of all types of birds except sparrows.
>>
>> This an anole trying to pull:
>> http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/up...reen-anole.jpg
>>
>> It's a stock shot grabbed off the web. I don't have a photo of my own
>> of an anole. I could go out in the yard and take six, though.

>Take _one_ of it snagging a fly and I'll be suitably impressed.

Tough assignment. Anoles don't go after flies. Flies are too large a
prey for our anoles. They seem to feed on ants and other very small
creatures.

I have seen anoles snagging an ant, but it wouldn't result in much of
photo. Anoles don't seem to flick out a long tongue the way some
other lizards do. There is tongue action, but the anole gets right up
to the prey and seem to inhale it.

Google>Anole>Images doesn't show any photos of an anole doing the
tongue-flick bit.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 8/11/2011 9:47 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:08:17 -0400, "Tim Conway"<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> :
> : "Bowser"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> :> Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the shooter once
> :> ran this fiasco.
> :>
> :> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s
> :
> : The stable is cool but needs a horse poking its head out of the window.
>
> Why would he bother? He'd just walk out the door. The horses are out being
> exercised or ridden on the trail; that's why the door is open. Off to the
> left, out of the picture, may be a tractor pullng a cart with apples, carrots,
> and buckets of oats.

A horse poking out from the stable would be trite. I like it as is. Nice
composition. Even though the stable itself is centered, there are off
center elements that keep it from looking static.

> : The steeple is nice but does it belong in Pisa? (as in leaning tower of...)
>
> You have to cut Alan some slack there. If he'd shown the tower straight up and
> down from that angle, we'd have knocked him for making it look too cut off.
> Nice texture in the stones.

I would like even more of a lean. Makes the image more dynamic.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 8/12/2011 10:50 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2011-08-11 21:47 , Robert Coe wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:08:17 -0400, "Tim Conway"<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : "Bowser"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> :> Late, very late. But the board voted to allow them since the
>> shooter once
>> :> ran this fiasco.
>> :>
>> :> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s
>> :
>> : The stable is cool but needs a horse poking its head out of the window.
>>
>> Why would he bother? He'd just walk out the door. The horses are out
>> being
>> exercised or ridden on the trail; that's why the door is open. Off to the
>> left, out of the picture, may be a tractor pullng a cart with apples,
>> carrots,
>> and buckets of oats.
>>
>> : The steeple is nice but does it belong in Pisa? (as in leaning tower
>> of...)
>>
>> You have to cut Alan some slack there. If he'd shown the tower
>> straight up and
>> down from that angle, we'd have knocked him for making it look too cut
>> off.
>> Nice texture in the stones.

> The complements of colors (stones, sky) came out nicely. The tilted
> composition was whimsy.
>

>> : I like the stealth. It reminds me of a Pennsylvania state police
>> cruiser
>> : camoflaged waiting to bait a speeder.
>>
>> Nice colors and composition, up to a point. But the yellow blob in the
>> foreground is too massive and forms a distraction. I might be tempted
>> to agree
>> with you about the weaselly, coppish look of the lizard, but I
>> wouldn't want
>> to risk offending the Savage Duck, a retired police detective. ;^)

> The 'blob' was unavoidable as I could not move it and keep the lizard
> there and I had no time to wait for him to move. It personally doesn't
> bother me in the least and to me adds dimension to the image. Some
> people prefer a minimally obstructed view.
>
> This one is better framed (and is also a crop) but has other issues like
> the focus not being on the eye and the distracting BG, purple fringing
> on the right (way overblown BG). In the other shot the BG is
> complementary, esp. to the title 'stealth'.
>
> http://gallery.photo.net/photo/14000634-lg.jpg

I like it better than the original. Now if only you could either
brighten the midtones, or make it all a silhouette....

--
Peter

PeterN

On 8/12/2011 12:24 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2011-08-12 12:12 , tony cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:30:33 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Take _one_ of it snagging a fly and I'll be suitably impressed.

>> Tough assignment. Anoles don't go after flies. Flies are too large a
>> prey for our anoles.

> The point I was making was that I observed the lizard snagging flies but
> it would have been remote chance at best to capture it - and only then
> after a long time of shooting.

One of the things I enjoy most about photography is the observation of
nature. If I record the moment, that's a bonus.
In Alaska, I was so engrossed in watching the whales breech, that I
forgot I had a camera.

Sound though like you had a good trip to
Cuba.

--
Peter

Tim Conway

"Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 8/12/2011 9:05 PM, Allen wrote:
>> On 8/12/2011 10:16 AM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> What we are used to tends to influence our choice of shots. We tend
>>> not to really notice what is around us every day.
>>>
>>> Any Floridian's yard is alive with anoles (the type of lizard here).
>>> They are so common that it's difficult to think of them as
>>> photographic subjects.
>>>
>>> I see tourists with cameras, though, stalking anoles like they were
>>> white tigers. They are quick little things, but miss one and you can
>>> turn around and focus on another.
>>>
>>> The easiest shot is when the males (I guess they are the males) are in
>>> the horny mode. The are more stationary then, and sit somewhere
>>> blowing out their brightly-colored throat to attract females (I guess
>>> that's what they're after.)
>>>
>>> This "ignore the common" is probably the reason we see so many
>>> photographs of all types of birds except sparrows.
>>>
>>> This an anole trying to pull:
>>> http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/up...reen-anole.jpg
>>>
>>> It's a stock shot grabbed off the web. I don't have a photo of my own
>>> of an anole. I could go out in the yard and take six, though.
>>>

>> About 35 years ago in Palmetto State Park (Central Texas, about 45 miles
>> from Austin) I encountered two male anoles on a palmetto leaf most
>> definitely in the extreme horny mode having a fight to the finish--blood
>> pouring from the throat of the "under-lizard", to coin a phrase. I got
>> several pictures on slide film but time has been unkind to them to say
>> the least. I was sick when I found them a few years ago in the midst of
>> a slide scanning project and saw the condition they were in. Either
>> Kodachrome a few generations down the line after the original 1930s film
>> or perhaps Ektachrome. The chances of ever duplicating those shots in
>> nil for me. At about the same time in several different locations I came
>> across several territorial wars between different species of
>> dragonflies--those beautiful, delicate little creatures. They can be so
>> vicious that perhaps they should be included in the human genome
>> project. War is hell, no matter who or what is fighting.
>>
>> About scanning slides: the film that has lasted best was that old
>> original Kodachrome--slides from 1946 were in very good condition. Later
>> Kchromes and Ektachromes were quite inconsistent--some slides pretty
>> good, others the same age and storage conditions unusable. Surprisingly,
>> the film that gave the old Kchrome a run for the money was Fujichrome,
>> processed in my kitchen.
>> Allen

> Something I forgot to mention--in Texas and probably other places many
> people think these slim, graceful, beautiful creatures are chameleons--
> which, compared to anoles are ugly things! Anoles Unite! Demand your
> rightful place in our vocabularies!
> Allen

COOL. I had always heard them called chameleons too, but thought that can't
be right, the anole doesn't look at all as ugly as a chameleon! We don't
often see any of them up here in PA, but when I get to go to SC, I like
looking for them....like on the railing at the restaurant overlooking the
inlet....yum! (for the restuarant food )

Robert Coe

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 15:17:58 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I have to throw in something else that I saw in that same park a few
: years later. There is an amazing number of wild Louisiana Irises growing
: there--huge plants,the biggest I've ever seen. Every gardening book I've
: ever seen says that irises should be planted in a dry, well-drained
: spot; maybe so, but these have been growing for generations in a foot
: and a half of water. My wife and I were over there one days and we saw
: several people studying some of the plsnts, though there were no blooms
: on them. I went over to see what was going on and I saw thousands and
: thousands of tree frogs, packed densely on the leaves. Quite a sight!

There was probably a hungry water moccasin lurking nearby and hoping you'd get
out of the way and give him a clear shot at those frogs.

Bob