Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Best Version of Firefox for XP?

Best Version of Firefox for XP?

Kele

Is there a preferred version of Firefox for XP? The current version is
5.0.1. I don't need a bloated with extras version. I need the version that
won't choke my relic PC. Help me pick one:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/history/

Paul

Kele wrote:
> Is there a preferred version of Firefox for XP? The current version is
> 5.0.1. I don't need a bloated with extras version. I need the version that
> won't choke my relic PC. Help me pick one:
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/history/

There is no need for filehippo, when they're all here.

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

From the README on that page -

"Older releases have known security vulnerablities, which are disclosed at

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...s.html#Firefox

Mozilla strongly recommends you do not use them, as you are at risk of
your computer being compromised."

My Windows 98SE virtual machine runs 2.0.0.20 .

Maybe 3.0.19 would be another option (my Win2K virtual machine runs
3.x stream Firefox).

Before doing anything else, go to Bookmarks and do an
"Export" to HTML. That way, you can keep all your bookmarks
and import them later. Otherwise, your bookmarks could get lost
while you're having fun trying out versions. As long as you have
archived the "important bits" of your browser, you can install
and uninstall as desired.

Enjoy,
Paul

Kele

Thank you, Paul. I just went with the current version. Something funny...
In IE, Google page has an ad "Get Chrome" and with Firefox no ad. Firefox
grabbed all my Faves (bookmarks) from IE apparently. The Firefox bookmarks
window is a little strange (different) to me. The page I needed it for
works like a champ. I intend to keep both IE and Firefox as they don't seem
to be conflicting.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is no need for filehippo, when they're all here.
>
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
>
> From the README on that page -
>
> "Older releases have known security vulnerablities, which are disclosed
> at
>

> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...s.html#Firefox
>
> Mozilla strongly recommends you do not use them, as you are at risk of
> your computer being compromised."
>
> My Windows 98SE virtual machine runs 2.0.0.20 .
>
> Maybe 3.0.19 would be another option (my Win2K virtual machine runs
> 3.x stream Firefox).
>
> Before doing anything else, go to Bookmarks and do an
> "Export" to HTML. That way, you can keep all your bookmarks
> and import them later. Otherwise, your bookmarks could get lost
> while you're having fun trying out versions. As long as you have
> archived the "important bits" of your browser, you can install
> and uninstall as desired.
>
> Enjoy,
> Paul

kelly

On Aug 12, 12:46*am, "Kele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a preferred version of Firefox for XP? *The current version is
> 5.0.1. *I don't need a bloated with extras version. *I need the version that
> won't choke my relic PC. *Help me pick one:http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/history/

Try here, Kele. Good luck.
http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...x/topics?hl=en