Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Anybody use a black background?

Anybody use a black background?

John Doe

Do you know how to get rid of the bright flash of white background
when Firefox is first opened? It might depend on the page, but it
did not happen in prior versions. The bright flash of white
background seems to be mostly absent during normal use.

Thanks.

--
Knowing lots about Windows, I know that's a really tough
question.

jeff g.

On 08/11/2011 01:16 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Do you know how to get rid of the bright flash of white background
> when Firefox is first opened? It might depend on the page, but it
> did not happen in prior versions. The bright flash of white
> background seems to be mostly absent during normal use.
>
> Thanks.

got an old video card?
either way, try disabling hardware acceleration on your computer.

going back to sleep now - zzzzz

John Doe

"jeff g." <connyank cox.net> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> Do you know how to get rid of the bright flash of white
>> background when Firefox is first opened? It might depend on the
>> page, but it did not happen in prior versions. The bright flash
>> of white background seems to be mostly absent during normal
>> use.

> got an old video card?

It's not state-of-the-art, but it's not old. You can find a list
of my hardware in (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt).

> either way, try disabling hardware acceleration on your
> computer.

It's a color (white), not a glitch. Naturally you won't notice it
if you use a white background.

And while we're on the subject... I think using a white background
is a mistake. Microsoft has misled us, and apparently the masses
think that white is the appropriate background color for text. But
looking at a light emitting source with black text on it is like
reading on the surface of a lightbulb. The history comes from
white paper with black print. But white paper does not emit light,
it reflects light. And white print was difficult to come by until
the advent of machinery. Hold a white piece of paper up to your
bright white monitor screen and you can clearly see the
difference. That's why I use white text on a black background.
Fortunately, that became reasonably easy to do with Windows XP.
Nowadays, white text on a black background works unless your
programs are poorly written.

In my estimation, there is a small possibility that white text on
a black background is worse than reading text on the surface of
the lightbulb, but that don't make sense to me.
--

On 08/13/2011 08:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
> "jeff g."<connyank cox.net> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> Do you know how to get rid of the bright flash of white
>>> background when Firefox is first opened? It might depend on the
>>> page, but it did not happen in prior versions. The bright flash
>>> of white background seems to be mostly absent during normal
>>> use.

>> got an old video card?

> It's not state-of-the-art, but it's not old. You can find a list
> of my hardware in (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt).
>
>> either way, try disabling hardware acceleration on your
>> computer.

> It's a color (white), not a glitch. Naturally you won't notice it
> if you use a white background.

I'm not talking a glitch - newer releases make more use of hardware
acceleration which can be detrimental on older machines which flood out
when you step on the gas...

John Doe

The momentary white background problem went away. Currently using
Firefox 6.