Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > GREEDY Apple wanted 30% of sales for doing almost NOTHING

GREEDY Apple wanted 30% of sales for doing almost NOTHING

Ray Fischer

Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I haven't seen Apple do anything for the average song, the average
>app or the average content that would create much of value.

Other than make it available.

>They don't press CDs or records and distribute them through
>brick and motar shops.

It doesn't count if it's distributed electronically?

> They don't print and distribute catalogs.

It doesn't count if it's not on paper?

>If that's worth 30%, then distributing, storing and selling
>physical goods must be worth some 10000%.

That's communist thinking. CApitalist thinking says that it's
worth whatever people will pay.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | The new GOP ideal

Whisky-dave

On Aug 17, 3:11*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 04:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave

> >> OK, that's one point. *After all, some (music!) CDs install root kits.

> >I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

> If you don't know what they are, how do you know you haven't come
> across one?

Apple don;t sell music CDs and those CDs from iTunes aren;t installed,
so yes you're right I haven;t had any problems from rootkits from
Apple,
but there might be a problem from other sources so I won;t use them.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 4:53¬*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > On Aug 14, 4:28¬*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > Well for me I trust that any download from the app store will not give
>> > me some virus or
>> > do anything it shouldn;t as the apps submitted do go through checks.

>> OK, that's one point. ¬*After all, some (music!) CDs install root kits.

> I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

Have you tried your favourite search engine? Wikipedia?
What of the information gleaned there is still unclear to you?

>> But Apple's check isn't very thorough.

> Maybe it doesn;t need to be because the OS is more secure.

You should become a comedian. You'd be a howler with
technically minded audiences.

> I'm resonabbly confident that anything I download fronm the aple
> storte will work as stated (within reason)

That's also true of J. Random Website's program, unless it's
marked as "work in progress" or similar.

> I don;t expecxt the apps to harvest my information and sent it to a
> thrid party or any scammers.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

> I don;t feel teh same way about going to a website I've never heard of
> that calims the App when downloaded will attract loose women.
> If the app store had such an app I woulkd assume it works and might
> try it.

Please give me an URL to an app in Apple's App Store that claims
the App will attract loose women (so we can compare 1:1), and
why you are confident that *that* app will work.

> For me that adds value to the App store.

OK, so *you* are willing to pay 30% extra. Please tell Apple.

> Maybe I'm more careful than most, it's only recently I've started to
> trust amazon for purchses.

You're rather paranoid. But don't worry, they're out to get
you.

>> > I also believe that download a game from the app store is a game and
>> > not something which will havest
>> > any personal information such as CC details and transmit them to
>> > someone else.

>> Apple doesn't check that.

> So who does then, I didn;t last time I brought an app or music.

Nobody. Except some people suspecting that may happen and
checking what some of the apps actually transmit. That's how
such problems are found.

>> > Not sure I feel the same about programs and the exe files I see on
>> > websites.

>> Feelings are important.

> Yep, nothing quite like a quick feel.

Well, you're willing to let others pay so you can have your
quick feel.

>> > A friend that sets up comerial websites charges about £200 for a very
>> > basic design

>> I think he's overcharging. ¬*There are many 'click your own website'
>> tools that can do that for a lot less.

> Yes but you have to know what you are doing.

As always.

> If someone came to you and said, I've got a couple of hundred books on
> homopathic remedies and
> I'd like to sell them from my own website where people can click to
> buy
> and I want to expand in a few months to include the remidies too.
> What site would you suggest she goes to to set this sort of thing up ?

My old employer. You do your website (or pay us to do the website)
and we do the payment stuff, order pages, shopping cart, etc.

>> > so how much do Apple charge for doing a webpage and advertsing...

>> Too much. ¬*After all, your average app isn't showcased or anything.

> Actually it is for a short time,

And that's worth 30% forever?

> if it's good enough then you might
> even get a staff pick.

What part of 'average app' didn't you grasp?

> But being able to difect someone to a place where they can order is a
> great advantage
> and peole do trust the App store.

The average person has what chance to install an app not
from the app store?

>> > Another friend set up a CC charging system for book buying but that
>> > cost over £1,500 in fees
>> > to the CC company/checker.... .

>> And I have a decade experience with working with 'CC charging
>> systems' (and lots of other payment options as well), and they
>> don't charge 30%. ¬*Not by an order of magnitude. ¬*And they do
>> fraud checking. ¬*And offering the stuff for download. ¬*And giving
>> support to buyers and sellers.

> So what credit card broker is that then ?

Ask me via email, if you really want to know.

> How does the system work,

There are several systems. Aquisitions do that.
As far as I can tell, they were all created in-house.

> if it is really that easy why do so many use
> paypal ?

Because PayPal is better known, and available with less
checks.

>> > And you think what 'Apple' likes is relivant to what you like ?

>> Huh?

> Why do you want Apple to rate music, are you looking to purchase steve
> Job favs ?

If they did that professionally, they'd not select favs ...

> I don;t care if millions like Mariah carey, it won;t influence my
> purchase, same goes with art,

.... they'd tell us about quality and so on. There is, after
all, even in the pop world, music that's rather trivial and
--- musically --- boring (even if it's popular) and
music that has quality. Same with photography.

> but when it comes to software then that's different .

Popular crap, say Microsoft, sells well. I prefer quality,
but maybe I'm just strange.

>> > Will teh average record shop allow me to play 10 seconds of anything I
>> > want to hear in the shop .... NO

>> Oh, good shops will allow you to listen to much more,

> There aren;t any good shops.

There are even record shops that sell only records, no CDs.

>>and
>> will give you personal attention and introduce you to music
>> you didn't know you liked. ¬*And will have rare stuff. ¬*And
>> never dabbled with DRM.

> Thos eplaces are very rare nowadays you must be going back to when my
> mum brought rock 'n' roll
> she and her friends spend hours in record stores in special boothes
> with headsets it was quite common.
> Maybe one or two still exist, but the last one(independant) on my
> borough closed down 26 years ago.

That's logic for you: if the last one near you closes,
worldwide there must be no more than two.

>> > Will they allow me to choose the tracks I won't off an album and not
>> > charge me for the ones I don;t want ... NO

>> Will Apple allow you to download the CD booklet or the record
>> sleeve?

> Yes it's called album art work, in fact even some music I've (cough)
> borrowed
> I get the art work via iTunes.

CD booklets often have much more than just cover art on and
in them. Song texts, more art, background information ...

>> > And make them easily availble virtually anywhere and with iCloud it'll
>> > be backed up.

>> And you lost all your data how often?

> Only a couple of times when I was messing withy itunes and trashed the
> disc before
> backing up

In other words, iTunes is dangerous!

> or deleting tracks I didn;t want but later did want.

That's not even close to "lost *all* your data". And an
operator error, to boot.

> Now I know I don;t have to backup my itunes purchases.
> if I delete or my computer gets stolen I don;t need to rebuy my
> purchsed music from itunes

Unless Apple feels you should.

> unlike my friend who was broken into and hios CDs taken Plydor/EMI and
> other never offered to
> let him have the music back for free, evenj though he has paid the
> money for them as he actually brough the 'rights'
> to listen tom the music rather than the music itself.
> So a real con job there.

No, he didn't buy rights, he bought CDs. You don't need
rights to listen to music. You might need rights for public
performance and for copying.

>> > ¬*if you loose your record or Album or it gets destryoed ¬*by fire or
>> > theft ,
>> > does Ploydor or EMI replace a lost or scrtached record for free ?

>> And how often did that happen to you,

> Not to me but as above a friend did get there's stolen.

I see. So how do you prevent theft of your computers and media
and what is your recovery plan for that event?

>> and did you remember
>> the mail access and password and all to your iTunes account
>> and what will happen if someone finds out that password (and
>> opens up everything under that password)?

> Not really sure, but it does't; stop me getting everything back that
> I've purchsed from
> either iTunes or the app store.

So how do you authorize yourself to iTunes?

> I wonder if those that vsuffter hurrican katrina or teh tsunamis last
> their music collect ?
> Did those that sold them their music give it back to them ?

They didn't buy music, they bought physical CDs. If you
cannot grasp the difference --- can you get the original
wav-data from your music? I can: from a CD.

>> > Apple allows yuo to make up to 5 copies the music industry won;t even
>> > let you make one copy.

>> Off my CDs I can make as many copies as I like, and of the data
>> therein, whether raw or Ogg Vorbis or MP1 Layer 3 or Layer 2 or
>> whatever I can make as many backups (including cloud based backups)
>> as I like.

> As indicated by another David that is not the case in the UK or most
> of the world, I think
> it should be, but it isn't .

Oh, really? I said CDs, not "something that resembles a CD but
really is corrupted data that supposedly sometimes plays on some
player and certainly infects your computer".

> Same goes withy films legally in the UK mI'm not even supose to record
> TV show and let others
> from another houshold watch them because In don;t have distributiojn
> Same with music, I'm not allowed to play it in clubs or venues I need
> a license for that.

There is a difference between 'I can' and 'I am allowed'.

Legally I am allowed to make a reasonable (but undefined, >5
though) number of backup copies of the CDs as CDs and I am allowed
to back up my data in whatever way I choose. Making that data
and those backup copies available to third persons is something
quite different.

As for public venues --- well ... don't choose public venues, then.

-Wolfgang

Whisky-dave

On Aug 17, 6:26*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> OK, that's one point. *After all, some (music!) CDs install root kits.

> > I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

> Have you tried your favourite search engine? *Wikipedia?
> What of the information gleaned there is still unclear to you?

It's clear that very few people have a problem with rootkits .
Can you show me evidence of what has happen to a OS X user due to a
this.

> >> But Apple's check isn't very thorough.

> > Maybe it doesn;t need to be because the OS is more secure.

> You should become a comedian. *You'd be a howler with
> technically minded audiences.

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutori...-for-rootkits/
So, to conclude, while Windows is still a lot more poisoned with
malware than the Mac, the fact that Appleís market share is increasing
makes it inevitable that OS X viruses and trojans will come to this
platform in greater numbers. But so will the antivirus software.
However, because this system originates from Unix, we already have a
set of very good, free tools to defend ourselves. One is this Rootkit
Hunter. The other is ClamAv, but I personally prefer the iAntiVirus.

I've tried clamAv ages ago nothing was detected.

When I here of people suffering from these soit of attacks I'll take
precautions.

> > I'm resonabbly confident that anything I download fronm the aple
> > storte will work as stated (within reason)

> That's also true of J. Random Website's program, unless it's
> marked as "work in progress" or similar.

No it isn;t. as I've no idea who J. Random is and why should I trust
him with my credit card no.

> > I don;t expecxt the apps to harvest my information and sent it to a
> > thrid party or any scammers.

> Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

But it happened.
here in the UK we were rather lucky with our weather at the time.

> > I don;t feel teh same way about going to a website I've never heard of
> > that calims the App when downloaded will attract loose women.
> > If the app store had such an app I woulkd assume it works and might
> > try it.

> Please give me an URL to an app in Apple's App Store that claims
> the App will attract loose women (so we can compare 1:1), and
> why you are confident that *that* app will work.

I didn;t say I was confidant did I ?

> > For me that adds value to the App store.

> OK, so *you* are willing to pay 30% extra. *Please tell Apple.

I already have.
But please tell me where I can get an app that allows me to read CSS
and HTML
with a graphical interface using a mobile device such as a iPhone or
iPad.

> > Maybe I'm more careful than most, it's only recently I've started to
> > trust amazon for purchses.

> You're rather paranoid. *But don't worry, they're out to get
> you.

A friend didn;t get very good service from A when he order a
camcorder.
The wrong one was delivered at a higher price and it too 8 weeks to
sort out.
By the time it had been sorted a better and cheaper model was on teh
market.
FYI it was a canon 500i and a 500 was delivered at the 500i price .

> >> Apple doesn't check that.

> > So who does then, I didn;t last time I brought an app or music.

> Nobody. *Except some people suspecting that may happen and
> checking what some of the apps actually transmit. *That's how
> such problems are found.

Yep Apple do do checks especailly for APIs that interface with such
things.

> >> Feelings are important.

> > Yep, nothing quite like a quick feel.

> Well, you're willing to let others pay so you can have your
> quick feel.

I'm not a politition.

I don;t mind paying the 30%, I donl;t think the public should subsdise
me playing angry birds
via expenses.

I don't like paying 60% on my alcholol though but I don;t have the
choice.

> >> I think he's overcharging. *There are many 'click your own website'
> >> tools that can do that for a lot less.

> > Yes but you have to know what you are doing.

> As always.

So only peole like you that don;t know what you're doing can off such
cheap rates
then screw the customer over.
So are you willing to do this website for under £200, she just wants
you to write the code
and set up a domain for her so she can sell books on-line or if you
know of somneone that will do it.

> > If someone came to you and said, I've got a couple of hundred books on
> > homopathic remedies and
> > I'd like to sell them from my own website where people can click to
> > buy
> > and I want to expand in a few months to include the remidies too.
> > What site would you suggest she goes to to set this sort of thing up ?

> My old employer. *You do your website (or pay us to do the website)

So your employer expectsw to be paid to do a website, so how much ?

> and we do the payment stuff, order pages, shopping cart, etc.

So what price for 5 pages that can be updated bi-monthly i,.e
additions and price changes.

> >> Too much. *After all, your average app isn't showcased or anything.

> > Actually it is for a short time,

> And that's worth 30% forever?

No only 30% per sale, no sale no fee.
So not not forever.

> > But being able to difect someone to a place where they can order is a
> > great advantage
> > and peole do trust the App store.

> The average person has what chance to install an app not
> from the app store?

No idea what you are talking about.
People are quite free to attempt to install anything they want.

> >> And I have a decade experience with working with 'CC charging
> >> systems' (and lots of other payment options as well), and they
> >> don't charge 30%. *Not by an order of magnitude. *And they do
> >> fraud checking. *And offering the stuff for download. *And giving
> >> support to buyers and sellers.

> > So what credit card broker is that then ?

> Ask me via email, if you really want to know.

Why ?
Why in email ......

> > How does the system work,

> There are several systems. *Aquisitions do that.
> As far as I can tell, they were all created in-house.
>
> > if it is really that easy why do so many use
> > paypal ?

> Because PayPal is better known, and available with less
> checks.

So does that mean you're more or less likely to be freud ?
Why not just send cash ?

> >> Huh?

> > Why do you want Apple to rate music, are you looking to purchase steve
> > Job favs ?

> If they did that professionally, they'd not select favs ...

I don;t feel the need for Apple to rate music, I don;t need to know
Apple gives say
5 stars to the Beatles collection before I'll purchase it.
Music isn;t like an app where it works well or it doesn't .

> > I don;t care if millions like Mariah carey, it won;t influence my
> > purchase, same goes with art,

> ... they'd tell us about quality and so on.

The 'quality of music is ACC 256Kb or whatever they supply that is the
quality rating,
it doesn;t depend on the salery of teh singer or the guitrist or
drummer .

>*There is, after
> all, even in the pop world, music that's rather trivial and
> --- musically --- boring (even if it's popular) and
> music that has quality. *Same with photography.

Yes but I dont; have to likke something just because it has quality,
although I'm not sure
how you mearuse such things buit peoklpe talk of quality to music when
refering to classical
but few liike every composition and few like every composer,.
of course someone like you might think the 'wedding march ' is the
best music ever written because it's the most
played and very popular at weddings. But that doesn;t mean I need to
buy it.

> > but when it comes to software then that's different .

> Popular crap, say Microsoft, sells well. *I prefer quality,
> but maybe I'm just strange.

Well you're obviously strange, I'm a Mac user so avoid MS whenever
possible that;s why
I buy Apple and not MS. I actually quite like the new versionnof
excel, I've been waiting years for it to do
the rather simple things this release(excel2010) now has/does.

> >> Oh, good shops will allow you to listen to much more,

> > There aren;t any good shops.

> There are even record shops that sell only records, no CDs.

Good for them, I'll congratuale them should I ever come across one.

> >> Will Apple allow you to download the CD booklet or the record
> >> sleeve?

> > Yes it's called album art work, in fact even some music I've (cough)
> > borrowed
> > I get the art work via iTunes.

> CD booklets often have much more than just cover art on and
> in them. *Song texts, more art, background information ...

Yes even more so with gatefold albums, but then they never included
Music videos
or any other extras, or production errors that might be worth
something in later years
or picture discs, or of course the weightyness of teh collection.
Pointing at the sky and saying my music is up there might not be as
impressive as opening a cupboard with
5,000 CDs and arounbd 30ft of 12"s alone the wall.

I have about 50GBs of music that I;'ve 'ripped' as AIFF I can;t carry
all that stuff to a freinds house unless
it's in this digital format, I can as MP3 carry it all in my shirt
pocket on my iPod, if fact I have more than 3 timnews the space
required.

> >> And you lost all your data how often?

> > Only a couple of times when I was messing withy itunes and trashed the
> > disc before
> > backing up

> In other words, iTunes is dangerous!

No takiing discs out of machine and putting them in others is the
dangerous part.
Nothing dangeroius about iTune sthat I;ve found, it's safer than the
finder or whatever
windows equiv is.

> > or deleting tracks I didn;t want but later did want.

> That's not even close to "lost *all* your data". *And an
> operator error, to boot.

I did loose all my iTunes purchases, so I downloaded them again for
free .

> > Now I know I don;t have to backup my itunes purchases.
> > if I delete or my computer gets stolen I don;t need to rebuy my
> > purchsed music from itunes

> Unless Apple feels you should.

Which they presently don;t unlike the record companies which won't
give me me replaements.
In the UK if I buy a track on CD I'm not allowed to copy it to CD or
to tape
or any other device. If I buy it online from Aple I can copy it on up
to 5 devices,
presently most of my music is on 3 devices, yep I can have 5 copies if
brough from Apple
but only one if brought in hard format.

> > unlike my friend who was broken into and hios CDs taken Plydor/EMI and
> > other never offered to
> > let him have the music back for free, evenj though he has paid the
> > money for them as he actually brough the 'rights'
> > to listen tom the music rather than the music itself.
> > So a real con job there.

> No, he didn't buy rights, he bought CDs.

No when you buy music you purchase a license to listen to it.

> >> And how often did that happen to you,

> > Not to me but as above a friend did get there's stolen.

> I see. *So how do you prevent theft of your computers and media
> and what is your recovery plan for that event?

I can't easily replace they hardware, but when it's in software I can
have it on HDs
and on-line .
Apple will ,let me download every track I have ever purchsed from
them whenever I want
and as many times as I want (limited to 5 copies, rather than 1).

> >> and did you remember
> >> the mail access and password and all to your iTunes account
> >> and what will happen if someone finds out that password (and
> >> opens up everything under that password)?

> > Not really sure, but it does't; stop me getting everything back that
> > I've purchsed from
> > either iTunes or the app store.

> So how do you authorize yourself to iTunes?

Username and password otherwise know as your Apple ID.
Simliar to what most have for email or on-line purchases.

> > I wonder if those that vsuffter hurrican katrina or teh tsunamis last
> > their music collect ?
> > Did those that sold them their music give it back to them ?

> They didn't buy music, they bought physical CDs. *If you
> cannot grasp the difference --- can you get the original
> wav-data from your music? *I can: from a CD.

CDs aren't recorded in wav format so you can''t get do that.
What you can do is copy teh AIFF files to wav if you wish I'm not sure
why you'd
want to though, I prefer FLAC or Apple lossless, or maybe Shorten if I
really have to.
I can;t see the point of wav nowadays when lossless is smaller file
size
for teh same audio quality.

> >> Off my CDs I can make as many copies as I like, and of the data
> >> therein, whether raw or Ogg Vorbis or MP1 Layer 3 or Layer 2 or
> >> whatever I can make as many backups (including cloud based backups)
> >> as I like.

> > As

But they are all compressed formats.

> read more Ľ

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 6:26¬*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > On Aug 16, 4:53¬*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> > I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

>> Have you tried your favourite search engine? ¬*Wikipedia?
>> What of the information gleaned there is still unclear to you?

> It's clear that very few people have a problem with rootkits .

It's also clear that very few people hav a problem with terrorists.
(What's a couple thousand deaths and a sky scraper or two compared
to 313 million people? That's 1.2 tenths of a percent ... of the
normal deaths per year in the US. How many people die of cancer,
of traffic accidents?)

(Or take the number of British soldiers killed in Afghanistan
by the Taliban. Minuscule.)

Unlike terrorist problems, rootkit problems (and cancer deaths)
are not widely reported in the media.

> Can you show me evidence of what has happen to a OS X user due to a
> this.

You either have no imagination or don't understand what a
rootkit is.

>> > Maybe it doesn;t need to be because the OS is more secure.

>> You should become a comedian. ¬*You'd be a howler with
>> technically minded audiences.

> http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutori...-for-rootkits/

is nice, and comfty. rkhunter will only be able to check for
known rootkits that don't actively hide from it.

Basically, you need to boot your computer from a trusted,
known-to-be-clean read-only medium and then compare signed
checksums or other ways that make sure that the files are
untampered with. (The same goes for viruses and trojans.)

Additionally, this will not detect code that e.g. hides somewhere
in the firmware (hard drive, graphic card, CPU microcode, ...)

> However, because this system originates from Unix, we already have a
> set of very good, free tools to defend ourselves. One is this Rootkit
> Hunter. The other is ClamAv, but I personally prefer the iAntiVirus.

> I've tried clamAv ages ago nothing was detected.

So?

> When I here of people suffering from these soit of attacks I'll take
> precautions.

You probably should use google a bit more.

>> > I'm resonabbly confident that anything I download fronm the aple
>> > storte will work as stated (within reason)

>> That's also true of J. Random Website's program, unless it's
>> marked as "work in progress" or similar.

> No it isn;t. as I've no idea who J. Random is and why should I trust
> him with my credit card no.

Does the typical Mac user really think there's only PayWare
out there and that the only way of getting it is paying per
credit cart directly to the vendor?

>> > I don;t expecxt the apps to harvest my information and sent it to a
>> > thrid party or any scammers.

>> Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

> But it happened.

That was the point.

> here in the UK we were rather lucky with our weather at the time.

Armada != Inquisition.

And I don't think the Flying Circus was hampered by the weather,
either.

>> > I don;t feel teh same way about going to a website I've never heard of
>> > that calims the App when downloaded will attract loose women.
>> > If the app store had such an app I woulkd assume it works and might
>> > try it.

>> Please give me an URL to an app in Apple's App Store that claims
>> the App will attract loose women (so we can compare 1:1), and
>> why you are confident that *that* app will work.

> I didn;t say I was confidant did I ?

Please,
1. the URL to the app
2. You said "I woulkd assume it works". And I asked you
why.

>> > For me that adds value to the App store.

>> OK, so *you* are willing to pay 30% extra. ¬*Please tell Apple.

> I already have.

So you are adding 30% to the price and give that to Apple?

> But please tell me where I can get an app that allows me to read CSS
> and HTML
> with a graphical interface using a mobile device such as a iPhone or
> iPad.

How much are you willing to pay for that information, and why
aren't you using Firefox?

>> > Maybe I'm more careful than most, it's only recently I've started to
>> > trust amazon for purchses.

>> You're rather paranoid. ¬*But don't worry, they're out to get
>> you.

> A friend didn;t get very good service from A when he order a
> camcorder.
> The wrong one was delivered at a higher price and it too 8 weeks to
> sort out.
> By the time it had been sorted a better and cheaper model was on teh
> market.
> FYI it was a canon 500i and a 500 was delivered at the 500i price .

Yeah, and a friend of mine met a fiery death in a car.

Based on that you shouldn't partake in traffic at all, and keep
well away from cars (and busses and other vehicles).

>> > So who does then, I didn;t last time I brought an app or music.

>> Nobody. ¬*Except some people suspecting that may happen and
>> checking what some of the apps actually transmit. ¬*That's how
>> such problems are found.

> Yep Apple do do checks especailly for APIs that interface with such
> things.

Please point me to the URL where Apple claims to check for
traffic with other computers.

>> > Yep, nothing quite like a quick feel.

>> Well, you're willing to let others pay so you can have your
>> quick feel.

> I'm not a politition.

> I don;t mind paying the 30%, I donl;t think the public should subsdise
> me playing angry birds
> via expenses.

Unfortunately, not you are paying the 30%, the app developers
are paying the 30%. It's not as if the app developers could say
"We have the app for $X, and if you want to buy from the Apple
app store, it's $X + 30%." Apple forbids that!

So you are willing to let others pay.

> I don't like paying 60% on my alcholol though but I don;t have the
> choice.

Too much of the stuff isn't good for you anyway.
And you pay for the community, not for some company.

>> > Yes but you have to know what you are doing.

>> As always.

> So only peole like you that don;t know what you're doing can off such
> cheap rates
> then screw the customer over.

I see you are putting words in my mouth.

> So are you willing to do this website for under £200, she just wants
> you to write the code
> and set up a domain for her so she can sell books on-line or if you
> know of somneone that will do it.

Noone sane would make any offer without knowing lots more details
than you tell us. Knowing you this may well grow from a simple
single static webpage without any graphical elements and links
to Amazon Marketplace (a very basic design) to a huge 10.000 book
site with CI design and logo design and AB-testing and reviews
and customer reviews and intelligent search and recommendations
and rebates and package prices and and and and ... outdoing Amazon.

>> > If someone came to you and said, I've got a couple of hundred books on
>> > homopathic remedies and
>> > I'd like to sell them from my own website where people can click to
>> > buy
>> > and I want to expand in a few months to include the remidies too.
>> > What site would you suggest she goes to to set this sort of thing up ?

>> My old employer. ¬*You do your website (or pay us to do the website)

> So your employer expectsw to be paid to do a website, so how much ?

"I want a car. I don't even say what type or size. So how much?"

>> and we do the payment stuff, order pages, shopping cart, etc.

> So what price for 5 pages that can be updated bi-monthly i,.e
> additions and price changes.

That depends. Amongst others, on your negotiation skills.

>> > Actually it is for a short time,

>> And that's worth 30% forever?

> No only 30% per sale, no sale no fee.
> So not not forever.

So forever. (Double negation and all that.)

>> > But being able to difect someone to a place where they can order is a
>> > great advantage
>> > and peole do trust the App store.

>> The average person has what chance to install an app not
>> from the app store?

> No idea what you are talking about.

Drink less before posting.

> People are quite free to attempt to install anything they want.

So you say the average person could install any app, one found
on J Random Website, for example?

>> > So what credit card broker is that then ?

>> Ask me via email, if you really want to know.

> Why ?
> Why in email ......

Because I say so. If Apple says so, you'd be happy to
comply, wouldn't you?

>> > How does the system work,

>> There are several systems. ¬*Aquisitions do that.
>> As far as I can tell, they were all created in-house.

>> > if it is really that easy why do so many use
>> > paypal ?

>> Because PayPal is better known, and available with less
>> checks.

> So does that mean you're more or less likely to be freud ?

Freudian slip?

> Why not just send cash ?

Because that's inconvenient and slow, prone to theft and
sometimes expensive to convert into the money the seller can
use. Of course the system also accepts cash, if you like
that.

>> > Why do you want Apple to rate music, are you looking to purchase steve
>> > Job favs ?

>> If they did that professionally, they'd not select favs ...

> I don;t feel the need for Apple to rate music, I don;t need to know
> Apple gives say
> 5 stars to the Beatles collection before I'll purchase it.

I see. But you'd not purchase, listen to or even be aware of a
lot of 5-star music. Ratings how well someone likes the
music I can get anywhere.

> Music isn;t like an app where it works well or it doesn't .

Do you think so? So there's no bad and no good music?

>> > I don;t care if millions like Mariah carey, it won;t influence my
>> > purchase, same goes with art,

>> ... they'd tell us about quality and so on.

> The 'quality of music is ACC 256Kb or whatever they supply that is the
> quality rating,

You're denser than a blockhead. That's not a quality, that's
a lossy compression. At best it enables you to guess how
lossy the compression is, it doesn't even tell you if the
recording itself is full of pops and cracks and way
overdriven.

> it doesn;t depend on the salery of teh singer or the guitrist or
> drummer .

It very much depends on the skill of the singer and guitarist
and drummer. Or rather on the skill of the orchestra and
conductor.

>>¬*There is, after
>> all, even in the pop world, music that's rather trivial and
>> --- musically --- boring (even if it's popular) and
>> music that has quality. ¬*Same with photography.

> Yes but I dont; have to likke something just because it has quality,
> although I'm not sure
> how you mearuse such things buit peoklpe talk of quality to music when
> refering to classical
> but few liike every composition and few like every composer,.
> of course someone like you might think the 'wedding march ' is the
> best music ever written because it's the most
> played and very popular at weddings. But that doesn;t mean I need to
> buy it.

You're rambling and being contrary for the sake of
contrariness.

The idea is to find new music.

>> > There aren;t any good shops.

>> There are even record shops that sell only records, no CDs.

> Good for them, I'll congratuale them should I ever come across one.

You'll probably even have to google for them.

>> > Yes it's called album art work, in fact even some music I've (cough)
>> > borrowed
>> > I get the art work via iTunes.

>> CD booklets often have much more than just cover art on and
>> in them. ¬*Song texts, more art, background information ...

> Yes even more so with gatefold albums, but then they never included
> Music videos
> or any other extras, or production errors that might be worth
> something in later years
> or picture discs, or of course the weightyness of teh collection.
> Pointing at the sky and saying my music is up there might not be as
> impressive as opening a cupboard with
> 5,000 CDs and arounbd 30ft of 12"s alone the wall.

> I have about 50GBs of music that I;'ve 'ripped' as AIFF I can;t carry
> all that stuff to a freinds house unless
> it's in this digital format, I can as MP3 carry it all in my shirt
> pocket on my iPod, if fact I have more than 3 timnews the space
> required.

50 GB at what compression? Uncompressed WAV?

And you don't get CD booklets & co.

>> > Only a couple of times when I was messing withy itunes and trashed the
>> > disc before
>> > backing up

>> In other words, iTunes is dangerous!

> No takiing discs out of machine and putting them in others is the
> dangerous part.

It isn't.

> Nothing dangeroius about iTune sthat I;ve found, it's safer than the
> finder or whatever
> windows equiv is.

Only you trashed your disk when messing with iTunes.

>> > or deleting tracks I didn;t want but later did want.

>> That's not even close to "lost *all* your data". ¬*And an
>> operator error, to boot.

> I did loose all my iTunes purchases, so I downloaded them again for
> free .

*sigh* Another one who hasn't heard of backups and relies on
Apple --- who could withdraw that feature any time.

>> > Now I know I don;t have to backup my itunes purchases.
>> > if I delete or my computer gets stolen I don;t need to rebuy my
>> > purchsed music from itunes

>> Unless Apple feels you should.

> Which they presently don;t

So you don't have backups. How stupid can one get?

> unlike the record companies which won't
> give me me replaements.

Of course not. That's what an insurance is for.

> In the UK if I buy a track on CD I'm not allowed to copy it to CD or
> to tape
> or any other device.

Please point me to the relevant law. An URL will suffice.

> If I buy it online from Aple I can copy it on up
> to 5 devices,
> presently most of my music is on 3 devices, yep I can have 5 copies if
> brough from Apple
> but only one if brought in hard format.

"When I am in hell, I'm stabbed with ten burning forks, but
when I buy from Apple, I'll only be stabbed with two burning
forks. So Apple is a Good Thing."

>> > unlike my friend who was broken into and hios CDs taken Plydor/EMI and
>> > other never offered to
>> > let him have the music back for free, evenj though he has paid the
>> > money for them as he actually brough the 'rights'
>> > to listen tom the music rather than the music itself.
>> > So a real con job there.

>> No, he didn't buy rights, he bought CDs.

> No when you buy music you purchase a license to listen to it.

Please point me to the law where it says you need a licence
to listen to music. I guess you won't find such a thing.

>> > Not to me but as above a friend did get there's stolen.

>> I see. ¬*So how do you prevent theft of your computers and media
>> and what is your recovery plan for that event?

> I can't easily replace they hardware, but when it's in software I can
> have it on HDs
> and on-line .

OK. Let's assume your home burns down. All HDs are lost.
All written down (or stored in the computer) passwords are lost.

You buy a new computer and a slew of HDs. How, exactly, are you
going to recover? You start with nothing but an empty computer
without OS and only the passwords you have in your mind.

> Apple will ,let me download every track I have ever purchsed from
> them whenever I want
> and as many times as I want (limited to 5 copies, rather than 1).

So you can download at most 5 times.

>> > Not really sure, but it does't; stop me getting everything back that
>> > I've purchsed from
>> > either iTunes or the app store.

>> So how do you authorize yourself to iTunes?

> Username and password otherwise know as your Apple ID.
> Simliar to what most have for email or on-line purchases.

And you do have all of them safe inside your brain? And they
are different, so that when one is cracked, the others are not
automatically cracked as well?

>> > I wonder if those that vsuffter hurrican katrina or teh tsunamis last
>> > their music collect ?
>> > Did those that sold them their music give it back to them ?

>> They didn't buy music, they bought physical CDs. ¬*If you
>> cannot grasp the difference --- can you get the original
>> wav-data from your music? ¬*I can: from a CD.

> CDs aren't recorded in wav format so you can''t get do that.

Really? Are you sure?
The CD contains (fortified with Reed-Solomon and eight-to-fourteen
+ 3 fill bits) the uncompressed 16 bit stereo data as PCM at 44.1
kHz sample rate. It's very easy to convert that to a lossless WAV.

> What you can do is copy teh AIFF files to wav if you wish I'm not sure
> why you'd
> want to though, I prefer FLAC or Apple lossless, or maybe Shorten if I
> really have to.
> I can;t see the point of wav nowadays when lossless is smaller file
> size
> for teh same audio quality.

Only Mac users do AIFF. CD's don't.

And you cannot see the point of wav because you've never recorded
with, say, a iRiver H120. Compressing costs more power than
spinning up the disk whenever the 32MB RAM are filled; this cuts
into the maximum recording time.

>> > As

> But they are all compressed formats.

You've got a problem with compressed formats?

>> read more ¬Ľ

Read more?
*Try* using a real newsreader.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 3:11¬*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 04:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave

>> >I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

>> If you don't know what they are, how do you know you haven't come
>> across one?

> Apple don;t sell music CDs and those CDs from iTunes aren;t installed,
> so yes you're right I haven;t had any problems from rootkits from
> Apple,
> but there might be a problem from other sources so I won;t use them.

iTunes itself may contain a root kit, for all you know.

-Wolfgang

Whisky-dave

On Aug 30, 3:39*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Have you tried your favourite search engine? *Wikipedia?
> >> What of the information gleaned there is still unclear to you?

> > It's clear that very few people have a problem with rootkits .

> It's also clear that very few people hav a problem with terrorists.

Yep, that's true.

> (What's a couple thousand deaths and a sky scraper or two compared
> to 313 million people?

I thought it was over 6 billion people or is american the only country
in the world
of any importance when it comes to terrorism.?

> Unlike terrorist problems, rootkit problems (and cancer deaths)
> are not widely reported in the media.

I'm on a few mac users groups, a friend is an app developer and I've
been using mac for years,
I've yet to hear of anyone being killed or injured by a rootkit.

What do you do when you hear the word terroist..
run under the table screaming, put your loved ones in front to protect
you,
take out insurence policies, grab a gun or rocket launcher...

So what do you do ?, as you say there's lots of terrorist attacks all
over the world.
When rootkits are a similar threat I'll take them as seriously.

> > Can you show me evidence of what has happen to a OS X user due to a
> > this.

> You either have no imagination or don't understand what a
> rootkit is.

Imagination can play nasty tricks on you.
What about alien attacks, the media doesn;lt report them either

> Additionally, this will not detect code that e.g. hides somewhere
> in the firmware (hard drive, graphic card, CPU microcode, ...)

Yep that is why I believe intel brough macfee for $5 billion or so.

> > However, because this system originates from Unix, we already have a
> > set of very good, free tools to defend ourselves. One is this Rootkit
> > Hunter. The other is ClamAv, but I personally prefer the iAntiVirus.
> > I've tried clamAv ages ago nothing was detected.

> So?

I'm, not going to spend my life worrying about invasions from outer
space
or building bunkers to hide in, or stock up on tinned food because of
the cold war.

> > When I here of people suffering from these soit of attacks I'll take
> > precautions.

> You probably should use google a bit more.

Why don;t you post the relivant links then.

Did you jear about the problems of trians erasing floppies discs years
ago...
Did it really happen, a few studetns reported such things, which is
why they couldn;t hand in their coursework on time.
Maybe a few studetns have had these rootkits attack them too.

> >> That's also true of J. Random Website's program, unless it's
> >> marked as "work in progress" or similar.

> > No it isn;t. as I've no idea who J. Random is and why should I trust
> > him with my credit card no.

> Does the typical Mac user really think there's only PayWare
> out there and that the only way of getting it is paying per
> credit cart directly to the vendor?

I just don;t pay people because they threaten me or tell me I am
threatened.
If a message came on yourt computer telling you aliens had installed a
rootkit
would you go to the published site to remove the infection ?
Would you pay your $15 and submit your creditcard info...

> >> Please give me an URL to an app in Apple's App Store that claims
> >> the App will attract loose women (so we can compare 1:1), and
> >> why you are confident that *that* app will work.

> > I didn;t say I was confidant did I ?

> Please,
> 1. the URL to the app
> 2. You said "I woulkd assume it works". *And I asked you
> * *why.

Because i'd read reports from others, that;'s what reviews are for.
What makes you think the rootkits removal/dectection programs work ?
What makes you think they aren;t harvesting you CC or other
information or
they just install a virus.

> >> OK, so *you* are willing to pay 30% extra. *Please tell Apple.

> > I already have.

> So you are adding 30% to the price and give that to Apple?

Yep, I've brought apps on-line.
And no, the 30% is already added I don;t have to add it.

Are you really this stupid.....

When you go an buy a coffee in most places you already get charge
about 400%
over the actual cost, but do you have to pay the person that serves
you, the delivery driver,
the plantation owner, the coffe picker, the washer up of the cup, the
lighting and heating
necessary for the product all these are additions too.

> > But please tell me where I can get an app that allows me to read CSS
> > and HTML
> > with a graphical interface using a mobile device such as a iPhone or
> > iPad.

> How much are you willing to pay for that information, and why
> aren't you using Firefox?

Because firefox doesn;t do it.
No browser does it.

> >> You're rather paranoid. *But don't worry, they're out to get
> >> you.

> > A friend didn;t get very good service from A when he order a
> > camcorder.
> > The wrong one was delivered at a higher price and it too 8 weeks to
> > sort out.
> > By the time it had been sorted a better and cheaper model was on teh
> > market.
> > FYI it was a canon 500i and a 500 was delivered at the 500i price .

> Yeah, and a friend of mine met a fiery death in a car.
>
> Based on that you shouldn't partake in traffic at all, and keep
> well away from cars (and busses and other vehicles).

What has this to do with camcorders
Have you totaly lost the plot ?

> > I don;t mind paying the 30%, I donl;t think the public should subsdise
> > me playing angry birds
> > via expenses.

> Unfortunately, not you are paying the 30%, the app developers
> are paying the 30%.

No they aren;t.

>*It's not as if the app developers could say
> "We have the app for $X, and if you want to buy from the Apple
> app store, it's $X + 30%." *Apple forbids that!

Yes so.

> So you are willing to let others pay.
>
> > I don't like paying 60% on my alcholol though but I don;t have the
> > choice.

> Too much of the stuff isn't good for you anyway.

True but that's true of almost anything including oxygen.

A person can die from drinking too much water too.

> > So are you willing to do this website for under £200, she just wants
> > you to write the code
> > and set up a domain for her so she can sell books on-line or if you
> > know of somneone that will do it.

> Noone sane would make any offer without knowing lots more details
> than you tell us.

That is the details that were given, you don;t need to know everything
to be able to quote for a job.
Now yopu've been given the information now quote for the job if yuo
really know what you;'re doing that is

5 pages updated every month, crediotcard transactions and domain.

> *Knowing you this may well grow from a simple
> single static webpage without any graphical elements and links
> to Amazon Marketplace (a very basic design) to a huge 10.000 book
> site with CI design and logo design and AB-testing and reviews
> and customer reviews and intelligent search and recommendations
> and rebates and package prices and and and and ... outdoing Amazon.

It's 5 pages NOT linked to amazon.

> > So what price for 5 pages that can be updated bi-monthly i,.e
> > additions and price changes.

> That depends. *Amongst others, on your negotiation skills.

I get a price form you or I go elsewhere, what sort of business do you
run ?

> > People are quite free to attempt to install anything they want.

> So you say the average person could install any app, one found
> on J Random Website, for example?

No idea, they can;t install exe files even if J Random Website says
download this
to protect you from rootkits.

> >> If they did that professionally, they'd not select favs ...

> > I don;t feel the need for Apple to rate music, I don;t need to know
> > Apple gives say
> > 5 stars to the Beatles collection before I'll purchase it.

> I see. *But you'd not purchase, listen to or even be aware of a
> lot of 5-star music.

Most '5 star music' I don't really like anyway

>*Ratings how well someone likes the
> music I can get anywhere.
>
> > Music isn;t like an app where it works well or it doesn't .

> Do you think so? *So there's no bad and no good music?

Music doesn;t have to be bad or good just liked or not liked.
There's many genres from country to blues, jazz, rock, metal, opera,
clasical, folk etc.....

> >> ... they'd tell us about quality and so on.

> > The 'quality of music is ACC 256Kb or whatever they supply that is the
> > quality rating,

> You're denser than a blockhead. *That's not a quality, that's
> a lossy compression.

That is quality as refered to by bitrate.

> *At best it enables you to guess how
> lossy the compression is, it doesn't even tell you if the
> recording itself is full of pops and cracks and way
> overdriven.

No it doesn;t you pass that on experience and what you're buying.
If you're buiying a Beatles original raretiy from a studio jam
session
then you might well expect sounds that aren;t on the polished final
recording,
just like you get with live recordings.

> >> CD booklets often have much more than just cover art on and
> >> in them. *Song texts, more art, background information ...

> > Yes even more so with gatefold albums, but then they never included
> > Music videos
> > or any other extras, or production errors that might be worth
> > something in later years
> > or picture discs, or of course the weightyness of teh collection.
> > Pointing at the sky and saying my music is up there might not be as
> > impressive as opening a cupboard with
> > 5,000 CDs and arounbd 30ft of 12"s alone the wall.
> > I have about 50GBs of music that I;'ve 'ripped' as AIFF *I can;t carry
> > all that stuff to a freinds house unless
> > it's in this digital format, I can as MP3 carry it all in my shirt
> > pocket on my iPod, if fact I have more than 3 timnews the space
> > required.

> 50 GB at what compression? *Uncompressed WAV?

I don;t use WAV I currenttly use AIFF or Apple Lossless but my syd
barrett collection
is in the shorten format as that's how I got it. Some I have as FLAC.
I tend to not re-encode things if I'm likely to degrade the original
significantly.

> And you don't get CD booklets & co.

Well you get the images as artwork in iTunes.

> > Nothing dangeroius about iTune sthat I;ve found, it's safer than the
> > finder or whatever
> > windows equiv is.

> Only you trashed your disk when messing with iTunes.

No I've never done that and I've not trashed a disc (unless on
purpose)
in over 10 years, on Macs OS X never, so far.

> >> That's not even close to "lost *all* your data". *And an
> >> operator error, to boot.

> > I did loose all my iTunes purchases, so I downloaded them again for
> > free .

> *sigh* *Another one who hasn't heard of backups and relies on
> Apple --- who could withdraw that feature any time.

I did have a backup 3 backups, but it was quicker to get them from
Apple.
I also had all my music on another computer too, Apple allows you to
have 5 copies.

> >> Unless Apple feels you should.

> > Which they presently don;t

> So you don't have backups. *How stupid can one get?

I do have backups, on 3 seprate hard discs. One of which is 2 miles
from my home.
But it;'s easier for my music just get vsome of it back from Apple.
Now later this year with iCloud it should be even eaiser.
Apple don't seem to be removing this backup service but increasing
it's ability,
it appear that any music I have that Aple also sell, I will get a free
copy of in 256Kb format
even if I only paid for a brought a lower quality MP3 of it.
I'm not so sure how Apple will cope with CDs I've ripped to HD as yet
as they havent; released that infom as yet.

> > unlike the record companies which won't
> > give me me replaements.

> Of course not. *That's what an insurance is for.

Not it isn't insurance is for replacing physical goods or a sum of
money
that is calculated not IP, insurance companies DO NOT replace music,
or Art.
Seems insurance is another thing you know little about.

> > In the UK if I buy a track on CD I'm not allowed to copy it to CD or
> > to tape
> > or any other device.

> Please point me to the relevant law. *An URL will suffice.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01...horized-or-not

The article noted that the RIAA case against Arizona resident Jeffrey
Howell refers to copies Howell made of his legally purchased music as
ďunauthorized copies.Ē That view seems to echo statements made by Sony
executive Jennifer Pariser during the trial of Jammie Thomas for
filesharing in which she described the act of making a copy for
personal use as ďa nice way of saying Ďsteals just one copy.íĒ The
article quoted the RIAAís website as follows:

If you make unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings,
youíre stealing. Youíre breaking the law and you could be held legally
liable for thousands of dollars in damages.

> > If I buy it online from Aple I can copy it on up
> > to 5 devices,
> > presently most of my music is on 3 devices, yep I can have 5 copies if
> > brough from Apple
> > but only one if brought in hard format.

> "When I am in hell, I'm stabbed with ten burning forks, but
> when I buy from Apple, I'll only be stabbed with two burning
> forks. *So Apple is a Good Thing."

No Aple is a bteer thing as in teh agreement I sign with Apple I
can make 5 copies of the music I purchase, I can NOT do this if I
brought a CD
well legally anyway, you should know that as it's practially the same
in the US.

> >> I see. *So how do you prevent theft of your computers and media
> >> and what is your recovery plan for that event?

> > I can't easily replace they hardware, but when it's in software I can
> > have it on HDs
> > and on-line .

> OK. *Let's assume your home burns down. *All HDs are lost.
> All written down (or stored in the computer) passwords are lost.

I have a backup HD of the stuff from the previous week held at my
parent's address
2 miles away, so if teh fire is caused by say an astroid hitting the
earth
then my data might not be safe but it's safe from hurricane Irene is
yours safe.

> You buy a new computer and a slew of HDs. *How, exactly, are you
> going to recover?

Easily

> *You start with nothing but an empty computer
> without OS and only the passwords you have in your mind.

No I had a Time machine backup 2 miles from my home.
I also have varuois backups of important stuff on-line and some stuff
I leave with friends.
Quite a large proporion of my live misuc recordings are also on
youtube, mostly set to private
but some are public, I'll be doing the same with flickr too at some
point.
I also have an iDisc which is where I backup some documents that I
might require urgently.

> > Apple will ,let me download every track I have ever purchsed from
> > them whenever I want
> > and as many times as I want (limited to 5 copies, rather than 1).

> So you can download at most 5 times.

No I can download it as many times as I like but I can only keep 5
copies.
Why is that difficult for you to understand.

Lets see if I can make it simple enough.....

I buy Track 1 from band A............
This downloads to my iMac, I can then go to my mac mini and download
it onto that too.
I can download this track onto my 2 iPods, and I could alsom put it on
an iPad.
Now if someone should steal one of my computers then obviously I'll
loose my music,
but so what, all I have to do is login into my Apple acount unathorize
my account on-line
for my stolen computer so now I have the option to re-download the
track again to my new computer.
If that computer gets stolen I can do teh same again and again... If
all my devices get stolen
I can just get on-line and de-authorize all my comnputers and itunes
account
and the next time I loggon via a Apple device, I can get all my music
back again.

> >> So how do you authorize yourself to iTunes?

> > Username and password *otherwise know as your Apple ID.
> > Simliar to what most have for email or on-line purchases.

> And you do have all of them safe inside your brain?

Yes......

> *And they
> are different,

Differant to what ?
> so that when one is cracked, the others are not
> automatically cracked as well?

No idea, as it's not been cracked as far as I know.

> >> They didn't buy music, they bought physical CDs. *If you
> >> cannot grasp the difference --- can you get the original
> >> wav-data from your music? *I can: from a CD.

> > CDs aren't recorded in wav format so you can''t get do that.

> Really? *Are you sure? *

Yes, I know a few in the music industry and I've looked at more than a
few CDs.
The vast amority or recorded in CDA format you're windows PC might
choose to ripp them to
WAV as that format is pretty much a microsoft product.As I said I use
AIFF for archiving
but mostly ACC for listening.

> The CD contains (fortified with Reed-Solomon and eight-to-fourteen
> + 3 fill bits) the uncompressed 16 bit stereo data as PCM at 44.1
> kHz sample rate. *It's very easy to convert that to a lossless WAV.

Yep or pretty much any format.

> > What you can do is copy teh AIFF files to wav if you wish I'm not sure
> > why you'd
> > want to though, I prefer FLAC or Apple lossless, or maybe Shorten if I
> > really have to.
> > I can;t see the point of wav nowadays when lossless is smaller file
> > size
> > for teh same audio quality.

> Only Mac users do AIFF. *CD's don't.

Yep PC users prefer WAV but then again that's because they don;t have
the choice
Mac users do.

> And you cannot see the point of wav because you've never recorded
> with, say, a iRiver H120.

No I haven;t why would I want to, when there are better lossless
formats.

>*Compressing costs more power than
> spinning up the disk whenever the 32MB RAM are filled; this cuts
> into the maximum recording time.

Not my problem, and I have 4GB of RAM .

> > But they are all compressed formats.

> You've got a problem with compressed formats?

No but you;'re still making illegal copies, read your licence
agreement FFS

wrote:
> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And you cannot see the point of wav because you've never recorded
> with, say, a iRiver H120.

I wouldn;t I have a zoom HD 4 availble, depending on what I'm usingn
it for I'll select
either wav or MP3.

*>Compressing costs more power than
> spinning up the disk whenever the 32MB RAM are filled; this cuts
> into the maximum recording time.

Your problem not mine. The HD came with 2GB card and I have a spare
4GB should,I need it.

John A.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 04:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Aug 30, 3:39*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
>> > But please tell me where I can get an app that allows me to read CSS
>> > and HTML
>> > with a graphical interface using a mobile device such as a iPhone or
>> > iPad.

>> How much are you willing to pay for that information, and why
>> aren't you using Firefox?

>Because firefox doesn;t do it.
>No browser does it.

Wait... isn't that exactly what browsers do?

Or are you talking about source code? There's at least one add-on for
Firefox mobile that does it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/mob.../mobile-tools/

Whisky-dave

On Aug 31, 6:31*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 04:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Aug 30, 3:39*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

> >> How much are you willing to pay for that information, and why
> >> aren't you using Firefox?

> >Because firefox doesn;t do it.
> >No browser does it.

> Wait... isn't that exactly what browsers do?

Not that I know off, sure you can view source code but you can;t go
through the DOMs

> Or are you talking about source code? There's at least one add-on for
> Firefox mobile that does it:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/mob.../mobile-tools/

For firefox mobile yes, but I haven;t got FF mobile .

if it works then use it.