Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Too bad this group is gone

Re: Too bad this group is gone

jacob navia

Le 07/08/11 06:55, BarryG a écrit :
> #include<stdlib.h>
>
> int main void()
> {
> return EXIT_FAILURE;
> }

I have contributed a compiler and a development environment that I
distribute for free in the C community and I have been trying to promote
discussion in this group for several years.

My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
simplicity.

Things shouldn't be too simple however, and I have been proposing here
and in comp.std.c enhancements and modifications to the C language.

The last one is a system I have been developing for over a year that
proposes a CCL: C Containers library, that is essentially inspired
from the STL of C++.

I have posted a message about it recently (Aug 3thrd) and received
exactly zero answers. Maybe because of the holidays, or just because
there are no C developers in this group.

All the code is available at http://code.google.com/p/ccl/ but almost
nobody in this group wants to take notice of it since technical
discussions are banned here.

Or it is simply (as you say) that this group has disappeared.

August Karlstrom

On 2011-08-08 00:16, jacob navia wrote:
> My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
> the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
> simplicity.

When the sheer length of the language definition is taken into
consideration the language does not appear to be so simple. It is
certainly longer than Oberon's 16 pages (to compare with another
procedural language).

/August

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own
skull. He therefore approaches his task with full humility, and avoids

jacob navia

Le 08/08/11 00:40, August Karlstrom a écrit :
> On 2011-08-08 00:16, jacob navia wrote:
>> My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
>> the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
>> simplicity.

> When the sheer length of the language definition is taken into
> consideration the language does not appear to be so simple. It is
> certainly longer than Oberon's 16 pages (to compare with another
> procedural language).
>

> /August

Does those 16 pages include all the standard library?

No?

Ahh OK.

Ben Bacarisse

jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Le 08/08/11 00:40, August Karlstrom a écrit :
>> On 2011-08-08 00:16, jacob navia wrote:
>>> My idea is hat a simple language is not necessarily a bad language, to
>>> the contrary. It is the better language exactly because of its
>>> simplicity.

>> When the sheer length of the language definition is taken into
>> consideration the language does not appear to be so simple. It is
>> certainly longer than Oberon's 16 pages (to compare with another
>> procedural language).

<snip>
> Does those 16 pages include all the standard library?
>
> No?
>
> Ahh OK.

If you skip the 19 pages of introductory material and remove the
description of the library and all the annexes, C's definition is still
156 pages. I don't know if this measure is at all useful, but that's
still a factor of 10.

--
Ben.