Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Password Managers/form fillers

Password Managers/form fillers

Rod Speed

Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its performance.

Moving it to a Win7 64 bit system and find that they havent bothered to support
64 bit IE8, you have to use the 32 bit version of IE8, and thats after a year now.
More of a nuisance than something crucial tho.

But the fact that they originally claimed that you could update forever for free if
you bought a license and then changed their mind on that left a bit of a bad taste.

And it now wont export all the data so you cant move to a competitor either.

Not a lot of alternatives show up. LassPass is very close but keeps the data
online and I dont care for that approach because you're ****ed if they get
hacked and if they go broke and since its mostly free, thats a real possibility.

And it only allows one credit card per profile. Thats a major downside since
I try not to keep much cash in my main trading account so if that does get
looted I havent lost much until the bank gets its act into gear and reverses
that looting, taking its time to do that. So I do use multiple cards quite a bit.
You can obviously have multiple profiles but if you change some of the basic
data other than the card data you would have to manually edit all the profiles,
one for each card. Bit crude, tho admittedly I dont need to do that often.

The PC Mag review of LastPass claims that LastPass, Roboform and 1-Click
are the only systems that automatically detect when you are filling in a form
and offer to keep that data for the next time you use that site. I find that very
handy indeed and is the main reason I use Roboform. That claim is a bit old
now tho, made in March 2009, so it may not be true anymore.

And I cant find any trace of 1-Click either, presumably it went bust or
something tho its a bit tricky to seach on a name like that.

I'm considering just holding my nose and keeping on using Roboform.
There is a kludgy workaround for exporting the data if you need to,
but its unclear how long Sibian will continue to allow that to happen
since they have deliberately removed that from the latest version.

Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

Petzl

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:42:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

I'm using Password depot
http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
(Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but 30 day
free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

Petzl
--

"You are the salt of the Earth... You are the Light of the World"

Petzl

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:07:56 +1000, Petzl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using Password depot
>http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
>I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
>(Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode restricted to 20 password, but 30 day
>free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
>Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)
>
>Petzl

I also only use it from a USB drive (has to be installed on computer
first) Don't trust keeping passwords on Windows computers
--
Petzl
Sir John Downer stated, when the Australian Constitution was finally adopted, ‘Our Australian Commonwealth from its first stage will be a Christian Commonwealth’.

Rod Speed

Pretzl wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

> I'm using Password depot
> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
> (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but 30 day
> free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
> Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

It doesnt appear to automatically fill in forms like Roboform and LassPass do.

Thats very handy indeed when say registering as a new customer on a web site,
it fills all the details like name, address, phone numbers, email addresses etc.

Petzl

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 17:40:41 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Pretzl wrote
>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

>> I'm using Password depot
>> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
>> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
>> (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but 30 day
>> free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
>> Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

>It doesnt appear to automatically fill in forms like Roboform and LassPass do.
>
>Thats very handy indeed when say registering as a new customer on a web site,
>it fills all the details like name, address, phone numbers, email addresses etc.

ok then it may not do what you exactally want. Strange Roboform have
not got a 64 bit version?
--
Petzl
Million: 1,000,000

Rod Speed

Pretzl wrote
> Pretzl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> I'm using Password depot
>> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
>> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
>> (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode restricted to 20 password, but 30
>> day free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
>> Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

> I also only use it from a USB drive (has to be installed on computer
> first) Don't trust keeping passwords on Windows computers

The best systems encrypt their data so its useless to anyone who can get it.

Rod Speed

Pretzl wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Pretzl wrote
>>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> I'm using Password depot
>>> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
>>> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since
>>> Vista (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but
>>> 30 day free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log
>>> into Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

>> It doesnt appear to automatically fill in forms like Roboform and LassPass do.

>> Thats very handy indeed when say registering as a new
>> customer on a web site, it fills all the details like name,
>> address, phone numbers, email addresses etc.

> ok then it may not do what you exactally want.

Yeah, looks like it.

> Strange Roboform have not got a 64 bit version?

It does run fine on 64 bit Win7, you just have to use the
32 bit version of IE8 if you want to use it with that browser.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its
> performance...

I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?

http://keepass.info/

to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) replacing "aaa" by "284".

Rod Speed

Jeremy Nicoll wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its performance...

> I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?
> http://keepass.info/

Yeah, main problem with it is that I need a decent form filler as well.
Its a complete pain in the arse to have to fill in all the details when
you buy stuff from a new web site or apply for a new account etc.
So much easier to just enter it all once and then just one click to
have it all filled in auto and the new stuff like the password saved etc.

Petzl

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:40:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jeremy Nicoll wrote
>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its performance...

>> I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?
>> http://keepass.info/

>Yeah, main problem with it is that I need a decent form filler as well.
>Its a complete pain in the arse to have to fill in all the details when
>you buy stuff from a new web site or apply for a new account etc.
>So much easier to just enter it all once and then just one click to
>have it all filled in auto and the new stuff like the password saved etc.

Password Depot does this?
You have to create the words to enter in, once done and saved never
forgets. Works from USB drive as well you just save the password file
on website and you can then access it from any web connection