Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Help - WordPress

Re: Help - WordPress

Paul

Robert Baer wrote:
> Just downloaded Wordpress, and not only does it not work,but it
> refuses to do anything - prolly because i am so stupid.
> After some non-obvious directory fiddling and subdirectory duplication
> of what was in root directory, i found no EXE, so that was a big
> disappointment.
> Got file extension PHP to link with browser, which helped greatly.
> Noodles around to no avail.
> What i want to do is create what looks like a website on my hard drive
> in an empty HD folder - which i will eventually FTP to a new URL on the
> web.
> So, "getting Started" looks useless as:
> 1) NO login (why? what for?)
> 2) No Database (why? what for?)
> 3) What is this about PHP "support"?
> 4) Blogs (why? what for?); i do not mess around with blogs.
> 5) SQL (why? what for?); i do not cotton to SQL - let the pigs squeal
> all they want, why should i feed them?

I haven't a clue what you'd do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordpress

It runs on a web server.

Type = Weblog software

So apparently, it is an online editor you can run from
a browser. And allows preparing some kind of document
which is stored on a web server. Presumably that is what
the SQL is for, a database to store all the elements of
the edited creations.

*******

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

"PHP is a general-purpose scripting language originally designed
for web development to produce dynamic web pages.

PHP can be deployed on most web servers and as a standalone
interpreter, on almost every operating system and platform free
of charge. A competitor to Microsoft's Active Server Pages (ASP)
server-side script engine and similar languages, PHP is installed
on more than 20 million websites and 1 million web servers."

So there is a standalone interpreter, but I don't know if that
turns a single desktop into a Wordpress editor. You might still
need a web server to be able to use it (where the editing you
do, will be within a web browser).

*******

You can probably find some web page, that goes through the install steps.
Even this one, leaves a lot to the imagination.

http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/...wordpress.html

Depending on your version of Windows, if you go to Add/Remove and
examine the "Windows Components", you may have an option to install
and run IIS as a web server. And if you had that, maybe you could play
around with your downloaded Wordpress package.

You can see in this example, a web browser is used to do the work.

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/280/i...dpress-on-iis/

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Robert Baer wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
> I had found a number of problems other thanthe ones i cited,and added
> to what you mention, adds up to: non-useful junk for me.
> So i trashed the downloaded wordpress files.

Good call

Paul

Wordpress management from Python: do you know main bindings/modulesto automate Wordpress blogging from .py software? Aldo Ceccarelli Python 0 03-19-2009 03:36 PM
wordpress review Carolyn Marenger HTML 1 03-30-2006 07:16 PM
Re: How to paste python code on wordpress? Dan Lowe Python 1 11-22-2005 02:18 PM
Re: How to paste python code on wordpress? Dan Lowe Python 1 11-22-2005 09:52 AM
WordPress Python Library 1.0 Michele Ferretti Python 14 05-04-2005 06:38 PM

Advertisments