Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Ricoh ditches the moire filter

Re: Ricoh ditches the moire filter

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110805...untpreview.asp

It makes sense. Most people don't buy lenses that need an AA filter at
12MP.

Eric Miller

On 8/6/2011 2:39 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<4e3cd76c$0$2134$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kevin McMurtrie
> says...
>>> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110805...untpreview.asp

>> It makes sense. Most people don't buy lenses that need an AA filter at
>> 12MP.

> But the characteristics of the lens this Ricoh module is using are not
> clear. One can only hope that the lens itself sufficiently reduces the
> spatial frequencies above Nyquist.

It's an interchangeable lens mount. Are you talking about the lens used
in the preview?

Robert Coe

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 22:29:22 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Eric Miller wrote:
: > On 8/6/2011 2:39 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
: >> In article<4e3cd76c$0$2134$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kevin McMurtrie
: >> says...
: >>>> http://dpreview.com/news/1108/110805...untpreview.asp
: >>>
: >>> It makes sense. Most people don't buy lenses that need an AA filter at
: >>> 12MP.
: >>
: >> But the characteristics of the lens this Ricoh module is using are not
: >> clear. One can only hope that the lens itself sufficiently reduces the
: >> spatial frequencies above Nyquist.
: >
: > It's an interchangeable lens mount. Are you talking about the lens used
: > in the preview?
:
: Interchangeable lens+sensor+processor.

And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit? There
seemed to be an implication that there's more of a lens selection than would
be the case if it weren't.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:02:36 +0200, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
: says...
:
: > And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit?
:
: No, it's a module with lens, sensor and some electronics. That is
: interchangeable.

Then how does it accommodate "a wide range of M-mount lenses"?

Bob

Robert Coe

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:43:07 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Savageduck wrote:
: > On 2011-08-07 05:02:36 -0700, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
: >
: >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
: >> says...
: >>
: >>> And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit?
: >>
: >> No, it's a module with lens, sensor and some electronics. That is
: >> interchangeable.
: >
: > Actually it is an "M-Mount unit" for the modular GXE camera system
: > consisting of mount + 12MP APC-S sensor + electronics. The lens is
: > interchangeable, and so is the mount module.
: >
: > The module itself does not come with a lens.
:
: So there would be various modules for ultrawide, tele, etc. Maybe one
: with antialiasing filter, another without...?

The road they'd seem to be heading down might lead to a different module for
each type of mount: Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, etc. By that reasoning, one
might surmise that the announced Leica-compatible mount has no anti-aliasing
filter because at least some high-end Leicas don't either.

I don't see a prism, so I assume this is a mirrorless camera. Or does even
that depend on the specific module in use?

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:43:07 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: Savageduck wrote:
>: > On 2011-08-07 05:02:36 -0700, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>: >
>: >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
>: >> says...
>: >>
>: >>> And is the lens separately interchangeable from the rest of the unit?
>: >>
>: >> No, it's a module with lens, sensor and some electronics. That is
>: >> interchangeable.
>: >
>: > Actually it is an "M-Mount unit" for the modular GXE camera system
>: > consisting of mount + 12MP APC-S sensor + electronics. The lens is
>: > interchangeable, and so is the mount module.
>: >
>: > The module itself does not come with a lens.
>:
>: So there would be various modules for ultrawide, tele, etc. Maybe one
>: with antialiasing filter, another without...?
>
>The road they'd seem to be heading down might lead to a different module for
>each type of mount: Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, etc. By that reasoning, one
>might surmise that the announced Leica-compatible mount has no anti-aliasing
>filter because at least some high-end Leicas don't either.
>
>I don't see a prism, so I assume this is a mirrorless camera. Or does even
>that depend on the specific module in use?

This M-mount module turns the GXE base into a compact system camera
(mirrorless) with a Leica M mount. It does not come with a lens. It
will mount any lens with Leica M mount and a wide variety of other
lenses via an M mount adapter.

For example, I have a Pentax K to Leica M adapter which allows me to
use Pentax K lenses on my M mount bodies. I could therefore use my M
mount and Pentax K mount lenses on a Ricoh GXE. If I purchased other
[name your mount] to Leica M adapters I could use a very wide range of
lenses on the GXE.

The 12 MP sensor is made by Sony and is apparently closely related to
the sensors in the Leica X1, Fujifilm X100 and Nikon D300(s).

The GXE M module will be an answer to the prayers of many Leica users
who want to shoot digital but cannot afford an M9 body, don't want the
hassle of an M8 or M8.2, and aren't aware of, cannot find, or won't
tolerate the problems with a used Epson R-D1, which was the only other
non-Leica digital body with an M mount.