Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Ideas for spare hard drives?

Ideas for spare hard drives?

Joe J

I bought a new system that came with a 500G hard drive. I've partitioned
that into 3 spaces; one for music and another for videos, the third for
everything else.
My new desktop has 6 sata ports and power for 6 devices. I'm currently
using 2 each; 1 HD and a R/W DVD.

So, I've got two spare old HD drives. One is 300G the other 150G.

How would you use them, if at all? I currently back up the system using
Acronis onto a spare ext USB drive. I already have the music and video
sections backed up to another ext usb drive.

I feel like I should somehow use these extra ports and free space in the box
to do something, just not sure what would be most efficient? I was thinking
about installing the older 300G HD and just cloning the HD once a month or
so, so I would always have a backup that I could just drop in if the main HD
failed.

Ideas?

Paul

Joe J wrote:
> I bought a new system that came with a 500G hard drive. I've
> partitioned that into 3 spaces; one for music and another for videos,
> the third for everything else.
> My new desktop has 6 sata ports and power for 6 devices. I'm currently
> using 2 each; 1 HD and a R/W DVD.
>
> So, I've got two spare old HD drives. One is 300G the other 150G.
>
> How would you use them, if at all? I currently back up the system using
> Acronis onto a spare ext USB drive. I already have the music and video
> sections backed up to another ext usb drive.
>
> I feel like I should somehow use these extra ports and free space in the
> box to do something, just not sure what would be most efficient? I was
> thinking about installing the older 300G HD and just cloning the HD once
> a month or so, so I would always have a backup that I could just drop in
> if the main HD failed.
>
> Ideas?

I have plenty of spare hard drives. And I leave the spares
disconnected when not in usage.

It's all a matter of how best to hook them up when needed.

In my case, the computer is on my desktop. I can take the side
off the computer. A SATA power and SATA data cable are inside and
loose, ready to use. I place a hard drive on the desk, next to the
computer, and run the power and data cable over to it.

Doing so, saves on the cost of using a separate enclosure.

If the drives have IDE interfaces, they might be a little less
useful, as modern computers don't make working with IDE quite
as easy (only one connector, and you may already have one item
connected to the ribbon cable).

Paul

Joe J

news:j19odc$tqn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe J wrote:
>> I bought a new system that came with a 500G hard drive. I've partitioned
>> that into 3 spaces; one for music and another for videos, the third for
>> everything else.
>> My new desktop has 6 sata ports and power for 6 devices. I'm currently
>> using 2 each; 1 HD and a R/W DVD.
>>
>> So, I've got two spare old HD drives. One is 300G the other 150G.
>>
>> How would you use them, if at all? I currently back up the system using
>> Acronis onto a spare ext USB drive. I already have the music and video
>> sections backed up to another ext usb drive.
>>
>> I feel like I should somehow use these extra ports and free space in the
>> box to do something, just not sure what would be most efficient? I was
>> thinking about installing the older 300G HD and just cloning the HD once
>> a month or so, so I would always have a backup that I could just drop in
>> if the main HD failed.
>>
>> Ideas?

> I have plenty of spare hard drives. And I leave the spares
> disconnected when not in usage.
>
> It's all a matter of how best to hook them up when needed.
>
> In my case, the computer is on my desktop. I can take the side
> off the computer. A SATA power and SATA data cable are inside and
> loose, ready to use. I place a hard drive on the desk, next to the
> computer, and run the power and data cable over to it.
>
> Doing so, saves on the cost of using a separate enclosure.
>
> If the drives have IDE interfaces, they might be a little less
> useful, as modern computers don't make working with IDE quite
> as easy (only one connector, and you may already have one item
> connected to the ribbon cable).
>
> Paul

I was actually thinking about that idea but just leaving the 2nd drive in
the enclosure to make cloning convenient and something I would do on a
regular basis. No need to take the side off. Of course a lighting strike
that took out the surge protector would shoot that idea in the ass, but how
often would that happen?
Everything is Sata and I just received my order of extra cables. The extra
power is IDE but two splitters to Sata solved that.

Jeff Strickland

"Joe J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j19mch$fs0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a new system that came with a 500G hard drive. I've partitioned
>that into 3 spaces; one for music and another for videos, the third for
>everything else.
> My new desktop has 6 sata ports and power for 6 devices. I'm currently
> using 2 each; 1 HD and a R/W DVD.
>
> So, I've got two spare old HD drives. One is 300G the other 150G.
>
> How would you use them, if at all? I currently back up the system using
> Acronis onto a spare ext USB drive. I already have the music and video
> sections backed up to another ext usb drive.
>
> I feel like I should somehow use these extra ports and free space in the
> box to do something, just not sure what would be most efficient? I was
> thinking about installing the older 300G HD and just cloning the HD once a
> month or so, so I would always have a backup that I could just drop in if
> the main HD failed.
>
> Ideas?

If you have a bay to install them into, and an available connector on the
motherboard to plug into, then put one or both into the machine and use
it/them.

If you used one or both of these drives, you could backup onto them instead
of to the external drives, or you could backup twice.

I guess I shoulda read the last paragraph first...

James D Andrews

Joe J banged his head on his keyboard to write :
> I bought a new system that came with a 500G hard drive. I've partitioned
> that into 3 spaces; one for music and another for videos, the third for
> everything else.
> My new desktop has 6 sata ports and power for 6 devices. I'm currently using
> 2 each; 1 HD and a R/W DVD.
>
> So, I've got two spare old HD drives. One is 300G the other 150G.
>
> How would you use them, if at all? I currently back up the system using
> Acronis onto a spare ext USB drive. I already have the music and video
> sections backed up to another ext usb drive.
>
> I feel like I should somehow use these extra ports and free space in the box
> to do something, just not sure what would be most efficient? I was thinking
> about installing the older 300G HD and just cloning the HD once a month or
> so, so I would always have a backup that I could just drop in if the main HD
> failed.
>
> Ideas?

Well, you could always give them to me.

Anyway, you mentioned you got the extra SATA ports (always nice to
have), but you didn't indicate the old HDDs were SATA or IDE. I'm
assuming SATA.

If so, I would go ahead and install one to backup stuff off the main
HDD. I'd just keep the smaller drive around as a spare part. Always
good to have spare parts for those just in case moments.

While most people would think 150 is too small to be of any use, if
you're not putting lots of videos, music, and photos on, then it will
still last a long time. My wife has a 160 for a couple years now in
her old comp and she's only used about half of it. Now mine, on the
other hand...

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

Joe J

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Joe J wrote:
>> I bought a new system that came with a 500G hard drive. I've partitioned
>> that into 3 spaces; one for music and another for videos, the third for
>> everything else.
>> My new desktop has 6 sata ports and power for 6 devices. I'm currently
>> using 2 each; 1 HD and a R/W DVD.
>>
>> So, I've got two spare old HD drives. One is 300G the other 150G.
>>
>> How would you use them, if at all? I currently back up the system using
>> Acronis onto a spare ext USB drive. I already have the music and video
>> sections backed up to another ext usb drive.
>>
>> I feel like I should somehow use these extra ports and free space in the
>> box to do something, just not sure what would be most efficient? I was
>> thinking about installing the older 300G HD and just cloning the HD once
>> a month or so, so I would always have a backup that I could just drop in
>> if the main HD failed.
>>
>> Ideas?

> OK; IF the older drives are also SATA that makes things easier and
> cleaner.
> I have only PATA hard drives,but the principle is the same.
> I use removable HD kits; ther is what i call a "frame" that mounts where
> a 5.25 drive would go,and a "carrier" that holds the HD itself.
> I use two "frames; one i "always" have in place; the master HD; the
> second position is "always" empty.
> When i go to do BACKUP *COPY* (_NOT_ "image" **** - more later on this),
> i shut down, install BACKUP HD in second position, and floppy boot to
> Norton's Ghost, COPY 1st to 2nd, shut down, remove COPY and i am then good
> to reboot for normal use.
> IF AND WHEN the master HD goes tilt, i can unplug it and plug the BACKUP
> COPY; all taking maybe 20 seconds.
> Disadvantage: one loses the most recent Z days of changes (additions
> most important); so always keep that in mind for scheduling a BACKUP COPY.
> *
> Many programs that profess to "copy" hard drives, somewhere in the
> fineprint say it is really an "image" which is USELESS for this; you
> CANNOT in one step have a working usable drive; you have to f*ck around
> with yet another HD and convert the compressed "image", and the questions
> always will be "what about the partitions?,what about "hidden" stuff?
> etc?".
> I have yet to see anyone SAY that their crap gives a final working HD
> *COPY*.
> What about the wasted time and hassle and need for yet another HD?

Acronis makes an actual "clone" copy of the HD. The only fudge is that when
I clone the HD it also clones the partitions, so the spare ends up with 3
partitions on the backup and the other two are the exact size of the
original partition. Meaning, they are full and no room to add anything.
The C drive copy section has 80g free but I don't see how to shrink that and
expand the other two portions. I'm using Win7.
Or maybe it doesn't matter since I'll just go through this entire "clone"
process once a month or so.

And yes, the old drives are both Sata.