Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for a quick starting digital camera for making good videos

Looking for a quick starting digital camera for making good videos

Castor Nageur

Hi all,

I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
children.

Here are the features I am looking for:

* the camera must start as quick as possible
* I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
* I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
* light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
* robust
* I plan to spend between $100 and $400

Thanks in advance for advising me.

RichA

On Aug 1, 5:59*pm, Castor Nageur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
> children.
>
> Here are the features I am looking for:
>
> * the camera must start as quick as possible
> * I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
> * I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
> old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
> * light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
> * robust
> * I plan to spend between $100 and $400
>
> Thanks in advance for advising me.

Panasonic G2 can now be had for about $350.00 on discount.

Irwell

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 10:03:28 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

> On Aug 1, 5:59*pm, Castor Nageur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
>> children.
>>
>> Here are the features I am looking for:
>>
>> * the camera must start as quick as possible
>> * I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
>> * I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
>> old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
>> * light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
>> * robust
>> * I plan to spend between $100 and $400
>>
>> Thanks in advance for advising me.

> Panasonic G2 can now be had for about $350.00 on discount.

The Panasonic G2 is a bit too big to fit in a pocket,
otherwise a good buy, depending on the lens that it comes with.

DanP

Most current compacts will do.
You are spoiled for choice.

DanP

Martin Brown

On 01/08/2011 22:59, Castor Nageur wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would to get some advices from you about digital cameras for filming
> children.
>
> Here are the features I am looking for:
>
> * the camera must start as quick as possible
> * I want it to make some high quality videos (not HD, just HQ)
> * I don't care about the number of pixels and I am even interested in some
> old end-of-series models (which are usually cheaper)
> * light and compact so it can fit in my pockets
> * robust
> * I plan to spend between $100 and $400
>
> Thanks in advance for advising me.

Is low light an issue? If so choose something with a fast lens.

One thing that often isn't mentioned is that these small still cameras
when acting as a video recorder tend to have abnormally brutal automatic
gain control on the audio channel (and so prone to wind noise and
cocktail party syndrome in a crowd). And be sure that you can handle it
well enough to take steady video with it. I find physically very small
cameras are harder to keep still than full size gear. YMMV

Ixus are hard to beat in terms of pocketability and taking reasonable
video at 720p. I would not consider anything less than 720p at this
stage in the game HD is the way forward and 4:3 screens will get rarer.

Regards,
Martin Brown