Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Ebay getting crochety in its old age..

Re: Ebay getting crochety in its old age..

tony cooper

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It was for a
>lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I never knew you now
>have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell! Anyway, of course the lens,
>from the 1970's, which was not in their catalog so I told them to get lost
>and come back when they find the lens in their catalog, which they won't.
>Apparently, if you don't use their catalog listings, they can remove the
>listing!

All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
Even you could figure it out.

Here's an example for a 1972 lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-PC-Nikkor-...item20bb55998e

In addition to the Item Specifics you can add whatever text and
illustrations/photos you want to add. The bold face text has been
added by the seller and is not part of the eBay requirement.

It's not a bad thing. For example, under "Condition", you must state
that it is new, refurbished, used, or for parts. Previously, you
weren't required to specify and bidders could be misled. Refurbished
items could be represented as new.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 7/30/2011 10:09 PM, Rich wrote:
> tony cooper<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It was
>>> for a lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I never knew
>>> you now have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell! Anyway, of
>>> course the lens, from the 1970's, which was not in their catalog so I
>>> told them to get lost and come back when they find the lens in their
>>> catalog, which they won't. Apparently, if you don't use their catalog
>>> listings, they can remove the listing!

>> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
>> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
>> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
>> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
>> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
>> Even you could figure it out.
>>
>> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
>>

> Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.

Somehow, I believe you. You did it oddly.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It was
>>>for a lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I never knew
>>>you now have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell! Anyway, of
>>>course the lens, from the 1970's, which was not in their catalog so I
>>>told them to get lost and come back when they find the lens in their
>>>catalog, which they won't. Apparently, if you don't use their catalog
>>>listings, they can remove the listing!

>> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
>> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
>> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
>> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
>> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
>> Even you could figure it out.
>>
>> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
>>

>Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.

If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

--

On 7/30/2011 10:48 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> tony cooper<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
>>> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
>>> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
>>> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
>>> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
>>> Even you could figure it out.
>>>
>>> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
>>>

>> Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.
>>>

> If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
> banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
> in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
> just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

LOL

--
Peter

John A.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:48:09 -0400, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
>>> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
>>> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
>>> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
>>> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
>>> Even you could figure it out.
>>>
>>> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
>>>

>>Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.
>>>

>If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
>banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
>in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
>just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
no good reason, just by random chance.

tony cooper

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:48:09 -0400, tony cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.
>>>>

>>If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
>>banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
>>in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
>>just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

>Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
>inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
>no good reason, just by random chance.

Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bob Dobbs

tony cooper wrote:
>the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

If that's the Vancouver pig farmer, as I recall,
I thought he had done a mortality check,
if not, then it's about time...
--

http://bit.ly/g2PCII

Mike

On 31/07/2011 1:34 AM, tony cooper wrote:

> Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
> RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

Colin Thatcher
Conrad Black
Hal Banks
Brian Mulroney
Alan Eagleson
Paul Bernado
Karla Homolka
Robert Pickton
Clifford Olsen
---
Rich Anderson

PeterN

On 8/3/2011 12:12 AM, Rich wrote:
> tony cooper<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A.<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
>>> inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
>>> no good reason, just by random chance.

>> Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
>> RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.
>>

> Liberals like you would blame society for Picton.with your lack of popularity?

And that has what to do with your lack of popularity. Besides your
statement is hysterical, considering your communistic postings.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:16:54 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 8/3/2011 12:12 AM, Rich wrote:
: > tony cooper<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: > news:(E-Mail Removed):
: >
: >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A.<(E-Mail Removed)>
: >> wrote:
: >>
: >>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:48:09 -0400, tony cooper
: >>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>>
: >>>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>>>
: >>>>> tony cooper<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: >>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
: >>>>>
: >>>>>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>>> I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It
: >>>>>>> was for a lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I
: >>>>>>> never knew you now have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell!
: >>>>>>> Anyway, of course the lens, from the 1970's, which was not in
: >>>>>>> their catalog so I told them to get lost and come back when they
: >>>>>>> find the lens in their catalog, which they won't. Apparently, if
: >>>>>>> you don't use their catalog listings, they can remove the listing!
: >>>>>>>
: >>>>>>
:
: And that has what to do with your lack of popularity. Besides your
: statement is hysterical, considering your communistic postings.

Rich wouldn't know a communist from a cubist.

Bob