Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problems wit Databinding to a DropDown box

Problems wit Databinding to a DropDown box

Kris Rockwell

Hello,

I have done the following to bind data to a DropDown box:

1. Drag SQLServer table onto web form to create data connection and data
adapter.

2. Generate dataset by right-clicking on the data adapter ad selecting
generate dataset.

3. Setting the drop down box propertied to reflect so that:

Datasource = Dataset11
Datamember = table
Datatextfield = tablerow
Datavaluefield = tablerow

When I run the application I don't generate any errors, but no data is
present in the DropDown box...Well, actually I get a drop down that is
blank.

Any ideas an what Imay be doing wrong?

Also, if I code the information, can I put it in the CodeBehind file or does
it have to be in the actual ASPX?

Thanks in advance,
Kris

Scott M.

Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?

"Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have done the following to bind data to a DropDown box:
>
> 1. Drag SQLServer table onto web form to create data connection and data
> adapter.
>
> 2. Generate dataset by right-clicking on the data adapter ad selecting
> generate dataset.
>
> 3. Setting the drop down box propertied to reflect so that:
>
> Datasource = Dataset11
> Datamember = table
> Datatextfield = tablerow
> Datavaluefield = tablerow
>
> When I run the application I don't generate any errors, but no data is
> present in the DropDown box...Well, actually I get a drop down that is
> blank.
>
> Any ideas an what Imay be doing wrong?
>
> Also, if I code the information, can I put it in the CodeBehind file or

does
> it have to be in the actual ASPX?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kris

Kris Rockwell

I haven't explicitly called it in the code, but I have set it in the
Property page of the DropDown Box.

I did try it though and still got no results. It is strange, though...The
box seems populated in that I can drop it down, but there is no content as
there should be.

Kris

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?
>

> "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have done the following to bind data to a DropDown box:
> >
> > 1. Drag SQLServer table onto web form to create data connection and data
> > adapter.
> >
> > 2. Generate dataset by right-clicking on the data adapter ad selecting
> > generate dataset.
> >
> > 3. Setting the drop down box propertied to reflect so that:
> >
> > Datasource = Dataset11
> > Datamember = table
> > Datatextfield = tablerow
> > Datavaluefield = tablerow
> >
> > When I run the application I don't generate any errors, but no data is
> > present in the DropDown box...Well, actually I get a drop down that is
> > blank.
> >
> > Any ideas an what Imay be doing wrong?
> >
> > Also, if I code the information, can I put it in the CodeBehind file or

> does
> > it have to be in the actual ASPX?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kris

Scott M.

You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for that
matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from code. The
fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down boxes
that don't have data in them do.

Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.

"Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I haven't explicitly called it in the code, but I have set it in the
> Property page of the DropDown Box.
>
> I did try it though and still got no results. It is strange, though...The
> box seems populated in that I can drop it down, but there is no content as
> there should be.
>
> Kris
>

> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?
> >

> > "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote
> in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have done the following to bind data to a DropDown box:
> > >
> > > 1. Drag SQLServer table onto web form to create data connection and

data
> > > adapter.
> > >
> > > 2. Generate dataset by right-clicking on the data adapter ad selecting
> > > generate dataset.
> > >
> > > 3. Setting the drop down box propertied to reflect so that:
> > >
> > > Datasource = Dataset11
> > > Datamember = table
> > > Datatextfield = tablerow
> > > Datavaluefield = tablerow
> > >
> > > When I run the application I don't generate any errors, but no data is
> > > present in the DropDown box...Well, actually I get a drop down that is
> > > blank.
> > >
> > > Any ideas an what Imay be doing wrong?
> > >
> > > Also, if I code the information, can I put it in the CodeBehind file

or
> > does
> > > it have to be in the actual ASPX?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Kris

Kris Rockwell

Here is the code:

Sub Page_Load
cbACType.DataBind()
End Sub

The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.

Regards,
Kris
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for that
> matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from code.

The
> fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down boxes
> that don't have data in them do.
>
> Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.
>

> "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I haven't explicitly called it in the code, but I have set it in the
> > Property page of the DropDown Box.
> >
> > I did try it though and still got no results. It is strange,

though...The
> > box seems populated in that I can drop it down, but there is no content

as
> > there should be.
> >
> > Kris
> >

> > "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?
> > >

> > > "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote
> > in
> > > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> data

selecting

is

is

> or
> > > does

Scott M.

Can we have the db connection code as well?

By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call (ViewState
will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So, your
page_load code should be:

Sub Page_Load
If Not IsPostBack Then
cbACType.DataBind()
End If
End Sub

"Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is the code:
>
> Sub Page_Load
> cbACType.DataBind()
> End Sub
>
> The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.
>
> Regards,
> Kris
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for that
> > matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from code.

> The
> > fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down

boxes
> > that don't have data in them do.
> >
> > Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.
> >

> > "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote
> in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I haven't explicitly called it in the code, but I have set it in the
> > > Property page of the DropDown Box.
> > >
> > > I did try it though and still got no results. It is strange,

> though...The
> > > box seems populated in that I can drop it down, but there is no

content
> as
> > > there should be.
> > >
> > > Kris
> > >

> > > "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> > wrote
> > > in

and
> > data

> selecting

data
> is

that
> is

file
> > or

Kris Rockwell

Well, I have kep the DB connection in the code behind page in an effort to
keep it seperate (and thus away from the eyes of curious users) from the
ASPX. In testing different methods I have deleted from the VB code at the
moment,so I will have to write it back in before I post the code. Couldn't I
use the Connection and DataAdapter objects within .NET for this?

Kris

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can we have the db connection code as well?
>
> By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call

(ViewState
> will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So,

your
> page_load code should be:
>
> Sub Page_Load
> If Not IsPostBack Then
> cbACType.DataBind()
> End If
> End Sub
>

> "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here is the code:
> >
> > Sub Page_Load
> > cbACType.DataBind()
> > End Sub
> >
> > The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kris
> > "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for

that
> > > matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from

code.
> > The
> > > fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down

> boxes
> > > that don't have data in them do.
> > >
> > > Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.
> > >

> > > "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote
> > in
> > > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > though...The

> content
> > as

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > > wrote

> and
> > > data

> > selecting

> data
> > is

> that
> > is

> file
> > > or

Scott M.

Kris,

All of your compiled code goes in the code-behind. That is what it is there
for. Even if you use the Visual DataAdapter and Connection controls, you
are still working with code in the code-behind. When you use those
controls, code is written for you in the code-behind, instead of you
declaring and configuring the classes yourself.

Regardless of whether or not you use the controls or write the code
yourself, we need to see your code in order to help you solve your problem.

Since all it really takes to get the DropDownList control working is to set
its DataSource and DataField properties and then to call its DataBind method
on the first page call (and you seem to have done that), we can assume that:

either your database connection is not setup correctly or
you are connecting to the db, but not retuning any data

We won't know until you provide us with everything you have.

"Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I have kep the DB connection in the code behind page in an effort to
> keep it seperate (and thus away from the eyes of curious users) from the
> ASPX. In testing different methods I have deleted from the VB code at the
> moment,so I will have to write it back in before I post the code. Couldn't

> use the Connection and DataAdapter objects within .NET for this?
>
> Kris
>

> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can we have the db connection code as well?
> >
> > By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call

> (ViewState
> > will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So,

> your
> > page_load code should be:
> >
> > Sub Page_Load
> > If Not IsPostBack Then
> > cbACType.DataBind()
> > End If
> > End Sub
> >

> > "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote
> in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Here is the code:
> > >
> > > Sub Page_Load
> > > cbACType.DataBind()
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kris
> > > "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> that

> code.
> > > The

> > boxes

> > wrote
> > > in

the

> > > though...The

> > content
> > > as

> <(E-Mail Removed)>

connection
> > and

> > > selecting

> > data
> > > is

> > that
> > > is

CodeBehind
> > file

Kris Rockwell

OK...I got it.

I created a SQLConnection, DataAdapter and Dataset. In the Page load I had
to call the DataBin() and fill the dataset. That was the problem, the
Dataset wasn't being filled.

Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,
Kris
news:ORrhg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kris,
>
> All of your compiled code goes in the code-behind. That is what it is

there
> for. Even if you use the Visual DataAdapter and Connection controls, you
> are still working with code in the code-behind. When you use those
> controls, code is written for you in the code-behind, instead of you
> declaring and configuring the classes yourself.
>
> Regardless of whether or not you use the controls or write the code
> yourself, we need to see your code in order to help you solve your

problem.

> Since all it really takes to get the DropDownList control working is to

set
> its DataSource and DataField properties and then to call its DataBind

method
> on the first page call (and you seem to have done that), we can assume

that:

> either your database connection is not setup correctly or
> you are connecting to the db, but not retuning any data
>
> We won't know until you provide us with everything you have.
>

> "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, I have kep the DB connection in the code behind page in an effort

> > keep it seperate (and thus away from the eyes of curious users) from the
> > ASPX. In testing different methods I have deleted from the VB code at

the
> > moment,so I will have to write it back in before I post the code.

Couldn't
> > use the Connection and DataAdapter objects within .NET for this?
> >
> > Kris
> >

> > "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can we have the db connection code as well?
> > >
> > > By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call

> > (ViewState
> > > will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So,

> > your
> > > page_load code should be:
> > >
> > > Sub Page_Load
> > > If Not IsPostBack Then
> > > cbACType.DataBind()
> > > End If
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > "Kris Rockwell" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote
> > in
> > > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

for
> > that

> > code.

down
> > > boxes

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > > wrote

> the

> > > content

> > <(E-Mail Removed)>

> connection
> > > and

no
> > > data

down
> > > that

> CodeBehind
> > > file

Databinding expressions are only supported on objects that have a DataBinding event jobs ASP .Net 0 09-25-2007 11:54 PM
Gridview encoding, or how to run commands before gridview's default databinding, or, how do I disable default databinding at all? Sergei Shelukhin ASP .Net 1 11-12-2006 01:43 PM
problems wit frames Piet HTML 2 07-23-2005 01:23 PM
Select dropdown box bleeds into Javascript dropdown menu Mike HTML 1 12-18-2003 09:49 PM
Problems wit events Norbeto Mesen ASP .Net Building Controls 2 10-09-2003 05:37 PM

Advertisments