Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > jdk7-relnotes

jdk7-relnotes

Stefan Ram

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...es-418459.html

»The HtmlConverter tool is no longer part of the JDK 7 distribution«

I was actually using this somewhere, IIRC.

»Data can be persisted via any of the standard Java
mechanisms, through the use of LiveConnect«

So, LiveConnect is still alive!

And there is more, not directly mentioned on this page,
but on other pages:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...-literals.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...gs-switch.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...resources.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...-multiple.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...-literals.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...-creation.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...e-varargs.html
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...s/guides/jdbc/

markspace

On 7/28/2011 10:17 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...-multiple.html

This I like.

"The following example, which is valid in Java SE 7 and later,
eliminates the duplicated code:

catch (IOException|SQLException ex) {
logger.log(ex);
throw ex;
}"

Stefan Ram

markspace <-@.> writes:
>"The following example, which is valid in Java SE 7 and later,
>eliminates the duplicated code:
>catch (IOException|SQLException ex)

And we already had the »&« for types as in

class Alpha< T extends Beta & Gamma, S extends Delta & Epsilon > ...

. So now, somebody should come up with a general
theory of conjunction and disjunction types.

For example, one then might use (for suitable types)

catch( S|T ex ) ...

after the above class head, which can be though of as

catch( Beta&Gamma|Delta&Epsilon ex ) ...

Travers Naran

On 28/07/2011 10:17 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...es-418459.html
>
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...gs-switch.html

Saves me a lot of if-else typing in a few situations. Feels "wrong"
somehow; like somehow, somewhere, C purists are crying.

> http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...resources.html

Hallelujah!

> http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...-multiple.html

A very irritating minor annoyance is dead... Finally (pun intended).

The nio2 library is kind of interesting too.

Ross

I'm looking forward to trying out the shaped and translucent windows.

Gene Wirchenko

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:54:21 -0700, Travers Naran <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 28/07/2011 10:17 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...es-418459.html
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/...gs-switch.html

>Saves me a lot of if-else typing in a few situations. Feels "wrong"
>somehow; like somehow, somewhere, C purists are crying.

Someday, switch may be as powerful as COBOL's evaluate. I really
have been spoiled by xBASE's do case statement. It is so useful to be
able to use full expressions for cases.

[snip]

Sincerelyk,

Gene Wirchenko

lewbloch

Travers Naran wrote:
>> <http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/language/tr...>

> Hallelujah!

+1

I have always found it odd that this pattern is called "Resource
Acquisition is Initialization" ("RAII").
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_acquisition_is_initialization>

To me it's always been about release in the process of destruction /
deallocation / descoping. (Which one depends on the programming
language.) So I call the pattern "Resource Release in
Deallocation" ("RRID").

--
Lew