Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Zoom and depth of field

Zoom and depth of field

Jon Danniken

Hi, I have a cheap point and shoot (Canon PS A495), and I have a question
about zoom setting and depth of field.

When I put the camera into video mode, it locks the focus when it starts,
and unfortunately doesn't have the ability to change the focus throughout
the recording session.

So my question is, what zoom setting (zoomed in or zoomed out) will give me
the largest depth of field?

Thanks,

Jon

Jeff R.

"Jon Danniken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j0qdtv$i52$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have a cheap point and shoot (Canon PS A495), and I have a question
> about zoom setting and depth of field.
>
> When I put the camera into video mode, it locks the focus when it starts,
> and unfortunately doesn't have the ability to change the focus throughout
> the recording session.
>
> So my question is, what zoom setting (zoomed in or zoomed out) will give
> me the largest depth of field?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

The widest angle - i.e. the shortest focal length.

--
Jeff R.

Jon Danniken

Jeff R. wrote:
> "Jon Danniken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:j0qdtv$i52$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I have a cheap point and shoot (Canon PS A495), and I have a
>> question about zoom setting and depth of field.
>>
>> When I put the camera into video mode, it locks the focus when it
>> starts, and unfortunately doesn't have the ability to change the
>> focus throughout the recording session.
>>
>> So my question is, what zoom setting (zoomed in or zoomed out) will
>> give me the largest depth of field?

> The widest angle - i.e. the shortest focal length.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it.

Jon