Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] "S" is available for viewing!

Re: [SI] "S" is available for viewing!

PeterN

On 7/26/2011 4:44 PM, Bowser wrote:
> On 7/25/2011 9:38 PM, Allen wrote:
>> On 7/25/2011 6:15 PM, Bowser wrote:
>>> Some Super Shots can be seen here:
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s
>>>
>>> For those of you who have not yet contributed to the Shoot-In, Shame!
>>> The Shoot-In is a monthly (kinda sorta) exercise where a mandate is
>>> selected and we all try to shoot something based on the mandate. No
>>> prizes, rewards, just some very good entertainment, and, hopefully, some
>>> comments.
>>>
>>> For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz page and take a
>>> look. The next mandate will be posted by the end of the week. And yes,
>>> time for a summer rerun.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

>> Will we see the top half of "Strings" when the subject is the letter "T"?
>> Allen

> Hopefully with the original background?

That is the original background. She was posing against a car. I did
mess up her skin tone and before I send her the shot, the flesh tone
will be changed. It is off color because I forgot to convert it from LAB
to sRGB before saving.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/26/2011 9:21 PM, Bowser wrote:
> On 7/26/2011 8:14 PM, PeterN wrote:

>>> Hopefully with the original background?

>> That is the original background. She was posing against a car. I did
>> mess up her skin tone and before I send her the shot, the flesh tone
>> will be changed. It is off color because I forgot to convert it from LAB
>> to sRGB before saving.
>>

> It sure looks like a cut/replace around the subject, but if you say so,
> NP. Keep 'em coming.

Looking at the image more closely I see what you mean. Tomorrow I would
like to send a better version of the same image as a substitute?
I agree to waive my prize money.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 7/27/2011 8:32 AM, Bowser wrote:
> On 7/26/2011 10:15 PM, PeterN wrote:

>>> It sure looks like a cut/replace around the subject, but if you say so,
>>> NP. Keep 'em coming.

>> Looking at the image more closely I see what you mean. Tomorrow I would
>> like to send a better version of the same image as a substitute?
>> I agree to waive my prize money.
>>

> Agreed. Let 'er rip!

Done, thanks

--
Peter

otter

On Jul 27, 3:13*pm, Elliott Roper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bowser
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

> For me, there is one image that is outstanding. That's Otter's shaky
> skaters.
>
> Contrast the wobbly kids and the poised minder/instructor. Look at
> their shadows. There is an excellent human story. On top of that, the
> geometric play of the roof structure's shadows on the ice and the
> circle the kids are trying to skate in. It's almost a pity that the
> other two pics in the set give the geometric game away.
>
> I keep coming back for another look, nodding my head and smiling. If
> I'd done that shot I'd be so proud. *Piet Mondrian lives!
>
> --
> To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
> PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 *E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

Thanks for the kind words. I had to look up Piet Mondrian. Learned
something new.

DanP

On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:13:05 PM UTC+1, Elliott Roper wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bowser
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

> For me, there is one image that is outstanding. That's Otter's shaky
> skaters.
>
> Contrast the wobbly kids and the poised minder/instructor. Look at
> their shadows. There is an excellent human story. On top of that, the
> geometric play of the roof structure's shadows on the ice and the
> circle the kids are trying to skate in. It's almost a pity that the
> other two pics in the set give the geometric game away.
>
> I keep coming back for another look, nodding my head and smiling. If
> I'd done that shot I'd be so proud. Piet Mondrian lives!

I love that one too, so many contrasts, skaters in a circle - rectangular shadows, colours on bright ice, small child - big child.
I am describing it too much, you either get it or not.

Others I like is Savageduck's seal, simple and powerful, Martha's whale skeleton, Coopers crane and squirell in a bottle, Pete Attkins' sheds (the perspective is too harsh, I would have liked it more more if it was taken 2 steps back), Bowser's seagull, Peter Newman's stuff that looks like straws.
Tim Conway's sprinkler could have been better framed, the white rectangle in the fence is distracting.

I have played with the whale skeleton see what you think of it
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/...46b3996b_b.jpg
original here:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/136707825

DanP