Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cisco Small Business Pro PAP2T

Cisco Small Business Pro PAP2T

funkyoldcortina

Was thinking of getting a Cisco Small Business Pro PAP2T for occasional use
with a fax machine.

Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, of this device?

Thanks

Graham.

"funkyoldcortina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:j0mbr9$m3m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was thinking of getting a Cisco Small Business Pro PAP2T for occasional use with a fax machine.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, of this device?
>
> Thanks

First, that's a very classy title for a humble device
I have one here and I have used it for sending a fax occasionally so I know it can work but some people
have problems reportedly.

But do you need to do this? For incoming faxes, fax to email is so much more convenient, and there is no
need for a premium rate service like eFax as you can configure a free geographic number from www.ukddi.com for fax.

I have used my PAP2 to send the occasional fax where the need arises, the usual advice is to turn the echo
suppression and echo cancel OFF but I've just noticed mine are turned ON and it still seemed to work OK.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Roger Mills

On 26/07/2011 17:54, Graham. wrote:
> "funkyoldcortina"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:j0mbr9$m3m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Was thinking of getting a Cisco Small Business Pro PAP2T for occasional use with a fax machine.
>>
>> Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, of this device?
>>
>> Thanks

> First, that's a very classy title for a humble device
> I have one here and I have used it for sending a fax occasionally so I know it can work but some people
> have problems reportedly.
>
> But do you need to do this? For incoming faxes, fax to email is so much more convenient, and there is no
> need for a premium rate service like eFax as you can configure a free geographic number from www.ukddi.com for fax.
>
> I have used my PAP2 to send the occasional fax where the need arises, the usual advice is to turn the echo
> suppression and echo cancel OFF but I've just noticed mine are turned ON and it still seemed to work OK.

I would concur with that. My PAP2T is just branded Linksys (which is a
Cisco brand) and I had no idea that they now branded it Cisco Small
Business Pro.

I use mine for VoIP voice calls. I *have* used it for sending the
occasional fax. It *does* work - but not all that well. It seems to take
a lot longer than it would take if the fax machine were directly
connected to a phone line.

I have now got rid of my fax machine. For incoming faxes, I use the
fax-to-email service provided by my ISP (Plusnet - but there are lots of
alternatives). For outgoing faxes, I use a cheap USB Fax modem - which I
bought via Ebay for less than a tenner - and that works fine provided
you have the means of producing files for transmission in .tif format.

TBH, the only faxes I send on a regular basis are to myself in order to
keep the fax-to-email service alive - 'cos it lapses if not used for a
certain period.
--
Cheers,
Roger

funkyoldcortina

On 27/07/11 09:28, Roger Mills wrote:
> On 26/07/2011 17:54, Graham. wrote:

Thanks all,

Yes, I want to be able to send faxes of paper documents. And I already have
the fax machine (all-in-one printer actually). I already have a fax-to-email
number, but sometimes you just need to deal with a fax on paper, and as
there's no phone socket near the machine, but there is an ethernet socket, I
was wondering about one of these to use with my existing SIP VOIP provider.

For the price (30 quid) I might give it a go.

Anthony R. Gold

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:48:08 +0100, funkyoldcortina <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On 27/07/11 09:28, Roger Mills wrote:
>> On 26/07/2011 17:54, Graham. wrote:

> Thanks all,
>
> Yes, I want to be able to send faxes of paper documents. And I already have
> the fax machine (all-in-one printer actually). I already have a fax-to-email
> number, but sometimes you just need to deal with a fax on paper, and as
> there's no phone socket near the machine, but there is an ethernet socket, I
> was wondering about one of these to use with my existing SIP VOIP provider.
>
> For the price (30 quid) I might give it a go.

I use my all-in-one device as a scanner along with the email > fax service of
Greenfax. That covers scanned paper docs and also electronic ones that can be
sent from anywhere. They accept documents in a very wide array of formats and
it is purely pay-as-you-go with no subscription costs. They will refund any
unused credit if you don't like the service. It has been flawless for me.